“Worth the extra expense”

USS Bowfin Submarine Museum & Park
US$165.00*
Day at Pearl Harbor Tour
Ranked #14 of 332 things to do in Honolulu
Reviewed 13 July 2014

My old man was on a submarine at Pearl Harbor on 12/7/1941 so I was quite interested in life on one of those things. It's even tighter than you would imagine (he was tall and so am I). This is a fantastic exhibit and goes well with the headphone set. The bunks are tight. Better like those other guys on the ship.

Write a ReviewReviews (3,279)

Reviewed 10 July 2014

Be prepared for some walking but it's well worth it. It is a narrated tour (you wear headphones and program what you want to hear)and you get to go down into the sub to see what it was like on submarine. Very informative. You do climb down and up stairs so be prepared for that.

Reviewed 10 July 2014

......And the first time I was on a submarine it was the old Soviet B-515 Tango class hunter killer, which is berthed in Hamburg, Germany. At the time I thought that Sub was cramped until I went on board the USS Pampanito in San Francisco, and the USS Bowfin last year. Talk about dedication with these men? And with me being ex military (British Army) and a serious history nut with a soft spot for the US Navy, this was right up my street again.
As we were on a Govt park passport which gave us access to all the memorials in Pearl and without being part of a dreaded tour group meant we could walk around at our own leisure in the memorial grounds including the small stone circle indicating the 52 Subs lost and still on eternal patrol, the losses were staggering 1 in 4 men never returned and the ones who did never fully recovered from that claustrophobic nightmare.! Something some pampered people on here should remember when they complain about the little cafe only "Having Hot Dogs" on offer or "It's not for me" routine..!
Arriving at the USS Bowfin you negotiate the gang plank after having your picture taken before hand and once on deck you're back in time, descending below and with the very handy wee head sets setting the tone with ex submariners narrating as you go, you then begin to appreciate what these brave lads went through during war time. And as I'm over six feet I just couldn't imagine myself running through these bulk heads, so how the hell did John Wayne in his sub movie "Operation Pacific" seem to run around without bumping his head and he was over six feet too? Typical Hollywood bollocks I suppose.?
Now, walking through from stern to bow you'll pass the stern tubes, engine room, crews quarters and even better the main control room and one can imagine the atmosphere during action stations, the main red combat light on, control panels lit up, sailors shouting etc.. One must also give great credit to the present day men and women who maintain this fitting submarine memorial as it looks like she could just slip her moorings and get back into action with the Japanese yet again.! The other good thing I also found was, we practically had the Bowfin to ourselves perhaps this was down to most people either ignoring her or they were probably being frog marched back to their buses with their tour groups after visiting the Arizona? I just wish we had memorials like this where I live as the Americans to their great credit really know how to honour their war dead and you have to hand it to them for creating this well maintained park. I just hope they never get too Politically Correct here either, and forget it was the Japanese empire who attacked them in the first place as we seem to be air brushing over history these days lest we forget..!
When you're finished below and back up on deck you'll get a great view of the Arizona & the Missouri and a sense of great loss here, not to mention a piece of American history. Just remember this is not for the disabled or people who are physically unfit due to the cramped conditions below, and as you leave you can purchase a very well thought out WWII front page newspaper with your picture (Not Colour) on it for $10, very unique too. You might also want to visit the gift shop which has an amazing array of books, gifts etc and is reasonably priced.
I also would highly recommend a visit to this memorial in memory of the thousands of sailors who served with honour and who made the ultimate sacrifice, a must see while in Hawaii and anyone who doesn't is living a lie...!

Reviewed 10 July 2014

The tour is a self guided tour and they provided the commentary through players and headphones. It is well preserved and couldnt believe that our servicemen spent days and weeks in that little ship. We enjoyed the tour.

Reviewed 10 July 2014

A self guided tour with speaker to assist the visitor to understand the stories behind he Bowfin when she was in action. recommend that you wear closed toe flat shoes to reduce injuries

Thank Enjoylifeplayha... .