“Not for older folks”

Kuhio Banyan Club
Ranked #82 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
“Not for older folks”
Reviewed 15 October 2011

Would only go to save on rooms if I was with a couple of male friends
Not some place I would take a wife or girlfriend

• Stayed October 2011
5 Thank vicgmz

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Lincoln, Nebraska
Reviewed 12 October 2011

As a young couple staying in Waikiki for a week, this place worked pretty well. It is a small space, but we didn't need much. Heads up, the refrigerator is small (like one you'd find in a standard hotel) so don't expect to store much in it. It contains only one window AC unit, but since it was a studio space, it worked just fine to cool the place down. If you plan to spend your vacation in your room, then you won't enjoy your time here. We only used our room to sleep and shower, otherwise we were out enjoying the sites, and therefore didn't mind the small space. We did enjoy the close proximity of restaurants, shopping, beaches, things to do, and bus routes to our room. The gentleman on site who assisted us in planning our day trips was very helpful and we greatly appreciated his expertise. We did not have a vehicle with us and we're glad we didn't. Parking availability is low since it is downtown Honolulu. That's why we enjoyed being able to walk everywhere or jumping on the bus that stops right out front! Overall, this space isn't high class by any means, but it worked great for us who hardly spent any time there.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Smithma2
Kaufman Tex
Reviewed 27 September 2011

If your looking for a 5 star timeshare then don't waste your time here. I am a little surprised that RCI even lists this property. First let me tell you the bad, but please keep reading till the end. This property is old and is in desperate need of an update. I mean desperate!! The carpet needs replacing and the rooms need to be gutted and redone. at one end is a nightclub, it is close to a busy street and yes at night there are "ladies of the evening trying to make some money out on the street. These rooms should only be listed as max 2 not 4.There are no views of anything pretty. The tv is small, there is no oven and it has a mini-fridge. When you go out the front door you are looking at the back of an unattractive apt bldg. There are no internet connection in the rooms.
Now let me tell you about the good, LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION!! You are across the street from the international market, There is a Chilis, drugstore, gracery store, Starbucks, Dennys, Subway, ATM,ABC store and more restraunts all within two blocks. Cut through the market and you can be on Kalakaua street in about 3-5 min and be at Waikiki within 5-10 min. I have never had any trouble with the staff. They have all been very nice and helpful when we have stayed there. Our room this month was very clean(yes it was very dated but it was clean). The murphy bed was comfortable, We both slept well The sheets were fresh and we didn't find any bed bugs. the little window unit kept it cool enough. My wife didn't like her pillow, we called the front desk and within 5 min they brought a new one up. They have a security guard at night and you need a key to get in the bldg at all times. I have never felt unsafe here. Hint; when making a reservation ALWAYS request 3rd or 4th floor and as far away from the nightclub as possible. We did and had no problem, we were on the third floor. I have never had any problem with outside noise. The Banyan will never be my first choice when going to Honolulu
but i would stay there again. We are never in our room that much. No doubt one day it wii probably be torn down and replaced with a newer more modern bldg.

Room Tip: Always get a room away from the nightclub
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
13 Thank firefighter57
Lynnwood
Reviewed 25 September 2011

I was totally shocked that a hotel such as this would be available through RCI as we have stayed at beautiful properties in the past! Upon inital check of the bed linen found a live bedbug scurring for cover!!! The office staff offered another room where we also found signs of bed bugs and no shower curtain. The other reviews of this property are not exagerating at all! We had to find another hotel to stay at immediatly upon arrival! This experience could have easily ruined our trip right from the start!!!!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
10 Thank Stephanie T

Travellers are raving about these Honolulu hotels

San Jose, California
Reviewed 18 September 2011

My husband and I and another couple were scheduled to stay for a week. At the last minute the other couple had to cancel. I was so glad they did because when I saw the place I was absolutely horrified and would have been very embarrassed for them to see this place. They were going to join us as our guest.

I felt very uncomfortable staying there and if it wasn't for my husband who was able to tolerate the place, I would have packed up and left the next day. The shower was horrible and I felt very unclean even after having taken a shower. I could hardly stand to sleep in the bed and did not sleep well during the entire time. Also, there was a drunk hanging around outside and some lady on the phone talking very loudly at 2:00 am. The first morning that I got up to go for my run, there were police and a fire truck parked outside as someone from the bar got into a fight and had to go to the hospital.

I don't want to go into what the rest of the week was like. Suffice it to say that every morning there was a new adventure awaiting me when I got up to go for my run.

I have stayed in some pretty bad places and for the most part, am able to stand it. This place, however, was the worst that I've ever stayed in and will never return if this was the last place in Oahu.

It's worth it to pay the extra money for the peace of mind.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
9 Thank Diane U
Broken Arrow, Oklahoma
Reviewed 5 August 2011

We (My Wife and I) Checked in to the Kuhio Banyan Club after a wonderful week in Kuai. I was Apalled at the $8 per day for the privvilage of checking out an iron or any thing else that is normally furnished and included in timeshares. Next,after I found the bed in the wall and pulled it down, the doors blocked the TV. The couch was too worn out to sit on but the bed was worse.Obviously unabl to sleep I went out on the balcony. Looking down into the entry way, there was a drunk spralled out on the curb sorround a tree and two prostitutes hanging around. Early AM I called RCI and stated that I was "OUT OFTHERE" and they said the would try to find us someting else and they did. It's about two blocks down the street and I would Highly recommend it. It was called Kuhio Towers. It's obvious that Kuhio Banyan Club is normally rented out by the hour.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
6 Thank watosh40
Newburgh, New York
Reviewed 29 June 2011

After reading some reviews here and on other sites, I was very hesitant about staying here. I had decided to go ahead and give the place a try.
When my party and I, 3 total, first checked in, we were warmly greeted. They gave us two sets of keys, a tv remote, and a card key for the room safe. I was a little surprised to see each set of keys had two keys attached to the ring. I was told one was for the room, and the other was for the main door after it was locked at night. That's right; there is no 24/7 service here. Staff is there from 7am to 10pm each day. If you're out past 10pm, you need a key to get back into the place. Don't have it? You're probably going to have to call someone from staff to drive all the way out to this place and let you back in, which can be up to a 2 hour wait and a $45 charge. I made sure to have my key on my person at all times so I wouldn't end up in this predicament.
The single elevator here is the smallest I've ever seen. It didn't smell when I got on it, but the carpet certainly looked old. Me and my group were squeezed tightly into the small space of the elevator as we made our way up to our room, which was on the top-most floor.
Now the balcony leading to the room, there was a neighboring building right in front of us which looked like a residential building. I couldn't tell exactly if this really was Section 8 housing as another reviewer brought up. The entire time I was here, I didn't really see any residents out. However, there were two nights I heard a young woman arguing on a phone about some troubled relationship of hers. It sounded like it was coming straight from this residential building. This was around 4am in the morning. But this is nothing. There are a couple of bars nearby the Banyan, blaring music early in the night with people loudly talking and laughing up a storm. The first few nights I stayed here, I had trouble sleeping, but got quickly adjusted to it and it didn't bother me.
Moving on to the room, when I first entered it, it was clean. The furniture and carpet seriously are old and worn, though. They're simply begging to be replaced. The bathroom was nice save for the grungy shower tiles. They looked as though they haven't been cleaned in a decade. I didn't dare step barefoot onto them but rather wore an old pair of sandals while showering.
I did stumble upon a baby cockroach one evening in the bathroom. It scared the life out of me before shooting into a crack in the wall. Luckily, I had some boric acid on hand. I sprinkled a little around the cracks and didn't see another cockroach (I also made sure to keep the entire unit tidy as possibile).
The entire place is a small step up from a Motel 6, but only by a hair. It was still comfy, so I tried not to make a fuss much. I didn't stay here too much, only as a place to sleep in mostly.
The two things I liked about this place were the staff and most importantly, the location. The staff were very helpful in any questions I had, including different destinations and the different routes aboard the Bus. For location, many shops are so close by, as well as numerous restaurants. The beach is a short walk away, too.
Although the Kuhio Banyan wasn't too far from many local attractions and the unit had a few extras such as a stove-top burner (pretty basic; see photos to get an idea what they look like), I'd be hesitant to recommend this place to others. To be honest, I'm drawn down the line as to whether I'd tell people to look elsewhere or to give this place a shot. The few perks of this place had won me over somewhat, but then again, the cons, such as that roach, the loud night noise, and let me not forget to mention that one bum constantly wandering in front of the Banyan, have me disliking this place. What I will recommend to travelers out there is to definitely do your homework and look for a good deal on a nice hotel. If by the chance you're not able to come across anything you like, only then would I recommend the Kuhio Banyan as a fair location to try.

Room Tip: Bring extra $$$ for the many taxes here!
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with family