“Never Again...”
Review of Kuhio Banyan Club

Kuhio Banyan Club
Ranked #82 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Reviewed 3 May 2013

As an airline employee, I am a frequent traveler to many destinations including Waikiki. I've always stayed at Aston and Outrigger Hotels, but they were filled this time. Booked this place via BOOK IT. Arrived at the hotel, checked in and was told they need an extra $250 as deposit that they hold till you've checked out. I say, "WHAT?" This is not even mentioned when I booked the hotel. The receptionist told me I should have read the details of the hotel and their requirements. I've never had to pay $$$ for a hold at any classy hotel in the past. Meanwhile, this place is a dump. Noise, filthy carpet on floors, we never used their kitchenette because of the grime. The shower stall needs a whole bottle of bleach to wash off of the mold. The TV remote from yesteryear kept malfunctioning so we had to keep taking it to reception to have it reprogrammed. The pics posted on the site is perhaps from 30 years ago or longer; so this is false advertising. The room smelt of burnt fried eggs, you could not get rid of the odor. Only advantage: conveniently located. I do not suggest you bring your children to this hotel. It is dirty. The sheets smelled musty...don't know whether the sheets on the couches, which doubles as beds are ever changed or aired. I would not recommend this hotel at all. A room at the Maile Sky Court is 100% better and charges the same amount for a room and can fit a family of 4.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank adriannamary
There are newer reviews for Kuhio Banyan Club

Reviewed 2 May 2013

I'll start with the positives:
1. Good location

Now on to the negatives:
1. "Murphy bed", aka a hard cot attached to a wall
2. Terrible smelling room
3. Stains on walls, carpet and toilet
4. Toilet didn't flush
5. Window was stuck open in bathroom
6. Noisy club below
7. Nightly bum fights outside
8. Unfriendly staff [Quote of the trip: "This ain't no hotel, its a timeshare"]
9. Zero security - terrible if you're traveling alone.
10. No housekeeping to speak of. Want fresh towels? Too bad.

I could keep going, but I think you get the gist....

Room Tip: Just dont.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
5  Thank Liz D
Reviewed 22 April 2013

Me & my wife stayed for a week here on a late timeshare trip. If U like a pull down bed from the wall and the loud music from a bar/club downstairs until 4am this place is for you. I forgot to mention there is no security but the police were there every night for the fights outside. Was not told room service was only done once a week so plan on finding somewhere to dispose on the garbage. We've travel to many country's and stay in many hotels and this by far was the worst ! Best part was coming home..

• Stayed: April 2013
3  Thank Ricoman11
Reviewed 13 April 2013

I actually found this Hotel through Booking.com and man am I satisfied with it. Now, let me tell you right away, it's not luxurious to say the least. It is pretty much your most basic of accommodations, but when you're in Hawaii what more do you need than a clean place to sleep and shower? I was barely in the room the whole time I was there and it was perfect. My room even had a small kitchenette which really saved me from having to eat out all the time. I brought some small food things with me from home and went to Walmart or Food Pantry (which is two blocks away) for other basic food items. Eating out can get expensive in Hawaii, not to mention not always healthy, so it was nice to have a small fridge, two burner stove, and a microwave. They also supplied all the utensils, pots, pans, etc. Even a can opener! The staff is really friendly and were patient with all my questions I had about the bus. (which is conveniently located right outside the front door) The only thing I had trouble with was locating it when I first arrived. You must enter from the courtyard next to the Nail Salon. There is a Subway sandwich place right in front of the lobby. I really enjoyed my stay there and I would not only stay there again, but recommend it to anyone.

Room Tip: I was on the third floor and it was very quiet. There isn't much of a view, but oh well.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank hbgirl-forever
Reviewed 8 March 2013

My wife and I are retired senior citizens who needed a place to sleep so we could catch a next day flight to another island after a later arrival at Honolulu International. We had made a reservation through Priceline and received a confirmation from Priceline. We never received any confirmation from the Kuhio Banyan Club but were not concerned assuming there would be someone on site to check us in. Upon arrival at about 11:30 PM we noted a locked door with office hours that closed at 10:00 PM. There was a security guard onsite who tried his best to help us. He made several phone calls to Kuhio Banyan managers and staff but none were willing to come to the "hotel" and let us in. At about 1:30 AM we finally gave up and returned to the airport where we thought we would just wait in the terminal for our flight at 12:30 PM with a hope that maybe we could get on an earlier flight as standby. Unfortunately the terminal was closed and we ended up staying at an airport hotel. I complained to the Kuhio Banyan Club and asked for a refund. They offered a free stay at a later date. Bottom line was Kuhio Banyan accepted no responsibility to have someone on site and said it was my responsibility to let them know we were going to arrive late. However they sent me no confirmation stating this policy and indicated either my wife and I or Priceline was at fault. My guess is they were full and had no rooms available and that is why no Kuhio Banyan staff was willing to come and help us. I will say the security tried very hard to help us and it was “hotel” staff who were not helpful.

Room Tip: If you reserve a room through an outside booking agency be sure to call the hotel and confirm If the...
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
9  Thank lew6771
Reviewed 30 January 2013

The best features of Kuhio Banyan hotel in Waikiki is its location and its price. The location could not get better (aside from the luxurious hotels on the waterfront). You are right in heart of Waikiki within short walking distance to all major attractions. The bus stop is right in front of the hotel, which was important to me as I have used it. For instance, I have went by bus to Pearl Harbor, which was a very memorable experience. I did not want to take an organized tour as I wanted to set my own steady pace to explore that place.

Now, the price is high, but it is probably cheapest one in the area. Now, one of my airport shuttle bus drivers has mentioned that one can find even cheaper accommodations, but Kuhio was clearly the cheapest in the list of hotels offered by most hotel search engines that I have looked at prior to my trip.

Now, their reception closing at 10 p.m. is obviously a bizarre feature, and that is mentioned in lost of review. I suppose that many flights get into Honolulu airport late in the evening, so this creates a difficulty for people checking in Kuhio. I have made it there by 9:50 p.m., so I was lucky. Two ladies at the reception were ready to run out of this place. I wonder what is behind this policy... Trying to earn more money for the hotel (calling security guard and paying him 45 bucks just to get to your room after many hours of flying)? Possibly.

If you believe that you will be not making to this hotel for the check-in before 10 p.m. do call them in advance. I did and they were quite nice to me and provided me with a phone number of a security guard, so that I would not have to wait for him to show up next to a closed hotel door for too long. They have also provided me with a pin code to a safe where my room was to be. They only do it when you call them and not via e-mail.

Anyway, they had time to make me go through a lot of paperwork before letting me off and going home themselves. I have never ever seen so many receipts and signed so many receipts before while checking in a hotel, and I am a frequent traveler.

Yes, they charge 50 dollars a night as a security deposit for the incidentals right away. I worried about it a little, but to their credit, they have released the charged amount to my account rather quickly upon my checking-out.

Now, the room was all right. TV, air conditioner, coffee-maker, fridge were functioning fine. Well, A/C was little noisy, but one does need it on all night long in Waikiki. Bathroom was all right, but I had to fix the toilet flash occasionally as water just kept on running otherwise.

The room is quite spacious, of a studio type. The bed was comfortable, pillows were too. Bedclothes were clean. So, I wonder what other reviewers have referred to, or, maybe, they have got worse rooms than I did.

There is a noisy disco downstairs. I was fortunate to have a room at the very end of that wing of the hotel, which is opposite to where the disco is. So, it did not bother me, but I can guess that it is much more disturbing in some other rooms.

The cleaning of the room was not done even once through my 4 days and 5 nights of stay there. So, this could be seen as a problem by some people.

The area around the hotel is all right. Yes, you see lots of beggars and street walkers as well, but so what. They are harmless and you just walk by them and mind your business.

So, in short, Kuhio Banyan has made it for me.

Room Tip: Try to get a room away from that disco downstairs, so you need to be in the wing, which is closer to...
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo
9  Thank vladimir70
Reviewed 20 January 2013

This hotel is located in a busy area and very noisy. I was trying to cancel my booking from this hotel after I had accidentally clicked the wrong tab. I had contacted them trying to cancel my reservation in the early hours of the morning hours before any check-in is authorized and they refused to refund given it was human error. The reception is rude from the personnel working and the policy is flawed. I found the grounds to be old and unkempt and a thoroughly dissatisfying experience with this place. If you want to be placed in a bad mood, deal with these people

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo