“Friendly and knowledgable crew, gorgeous wreck dives” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Dive Oahu

Dive Oahu
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Dive Oahu, Inc., offers PADI scuba diving training from the Discover Scuba Diving experience to Master Scuba Diver, and it offers PADI professional-level training at its Five Star Instructor Development Center (IDC). PADI Professional candidates train and earn certifications from Divemaster to Master Instructor at the IDC led by our Course Directors and assisted by senior PADI instructors.
Los Angeles, California
3 attraction reviews
“Friendly and knowledgable crew, gorgeous wreck dives”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2014

I first dove with Dive Oahu in 2006 (wreck dive on the YO-257, reef dive at Turtle Canyon), returned in 2007 and did more dives, and then did 6 more this past week (wreck diving on the Sea Tiger, reef diving at Kaiser and horseshoe). Obviously, I'm a fan of Dive Oahu!

I was *so* appreciative of Divemaster Francis in particular. I had a bad morning (iPhone fell into the toilet the night before, overslept without an alarm, couldn't receive calls from the shop). He was driving to pick me up at a hotel near where I was staying and I was really running late. A lot of places would have given up and charged me anyway. But Francis tried my number, went into the hotel to check, and waited for me (despite the fact that I wasn't even registered at that hotel)! I was so relieved that he waited and I was able to go on two incredible dives that day.

He lead me on a spectacular wreck dive to the Sea Tiger and a reef dive to Horseshoe, taking extra care to root out things for me to see (Medusa spaghetti worm, nudibranch, pincushion starfish, "7-Eleven" crab, morays) and finding the spots where turtles ("six-pack"!) and white tipped reef sharks were chillin'. He was extremely knowledgeable and could answer my questions after the dive about all the things we saw. He also switched out my tanks for me between dives, which wasn't necessary but I appreciated it.

We did swim-throughs on the Sea Tiger and he pointed out the console in the wheelhouse, which appeared to have illuminated red Chinese characters. I'd never gone into a part of a ship before and it was so incredibly cool. I did two dives on the Sea Tiger and got to do different swim throughs each time.

Conditions were great, water was great, and each dive only had 4 people on it, so it felt very safe and special. I've been on dives where there were so many people it felt rushed and crowded. I really appreciated the smaller groups and more individualized attention I received at Dive Oahu.

I also did 2 shallow reef dives with Jason Salseg. Again, good dive master and nice conditions, although if you have your advanced certification, I'd skip the shallow dives and do the wreck dives instead. I appreciated that Jason let me stay down longer when the less experienced members of the group had to surface due to air consumption. He had me wait while he took them up, then came back down and finished the dive with me.

Captain Neil took us out on the Ocean Spirit. He's the best! Hands down. Friendly, funny, helpful. (and good taste in music during the surface interval!) He served fresh pineapple one day and cored apple slices the next. It was so special to come up after an incredible dive and bite into luscious fresh pineapple! And if you are interested in shell identification or collection, Captain Neil is your man! He gave me tips for what kinds of cowries to look for in my home waters. He was extremely attentive and when one of the Discover Scuba parties on our boat got seasick, he went out of his way to make her comfortable.

The prices are competitive, it's easy to book online, they offer hotel pick up and delivery, their staff is top notch, and the sites are excellent. I want to go back to do a night dive with them!

Melbourne, Australia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Well taken care of”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2014

I took 4 excursions with Dive Oahu with 8 dives total. The dive instructors where very friendly and let us set our own pace, The groups i dove in where no larger than 3 which makes it more enjoyable and intimate. The part i enjoyed most where the variety of Marine live- sharks, eels, turtles, colorful snails, octopus, sea urges.. and so much more, too much to mention. The Captain was a funny character and always had a joke at hand.I would recommend Dive Oahu to anybody looking to go diving in the Waikiki area

1 Thank Nobody280
Seattle, Washington
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Refresher dive”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2014

I hadn't been diving for 13 years so felt the need for a refresher dive. Equipment has changed some since my last dive. Francis and Capt. Brian took us to Turtle Canyon and Nautilus off Waikiki. We saw several huge turtles, a white-tipped reef shark, eels, and many colorful fish. Now I feel better prepared for my upcoming trip to Palau.

Ovilla, Texas
“first time diver”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2014

I took a non-certified diver on the intro dive. I just tagged along to be a part of his first experience. It was magnificent. He saw three white tip sharks, two big turtles, several morays, and a myriad other sea creatures. I could not have found abetter initial dive operstion. Capt Neal, Riley, and Francis were top shelf, extremely professional and totally intent on making each of us experience a really great dive. They accomplished it all.
Dave Allen

Chicago, Illinois
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Fast and friendly dive shop”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2014

Great value diving with this shop. Wreck dives and reef dives right off Waikiki. Picked us up right at our hotel. Caps Neil and Tammy were super helpful. Divemasters Francis and Riley were knowledgable. Good times.

Visited April 2014