“Authentic Thai in Waikiki”
Review of Siam Square

Siam Square
Ranked #102 of 2,431 Restaurants in Honolulu
Cuisines: Thai
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Waikiki
Reviewed 3 November 2013

For five days while hoofing it around Waikiki, we'd been trying to find an authentic Thai restaurant. The five Thai restaurants advertised on the tourist info interactive billboards do not serve authentic Thai cuisine. (If they don't have Pad See Iew on the menu, you know they're faking it.)

Last night we walked two miles around the perimeter of Waikiki hoping we might luck out and stumble upon a non-touristy place that the locals frequent. Sure enough, as we were about to give up, I noticed the word Siam on the second story window of an obscure looking building at the corner of Kuhio and Lewers. You can't enter from the main street ... you have to go around on Lewers to a somewhat dark side of the building and climb stairs to get to the entrance.

Sure enough, at 8:40 p.m. Saturday night there was a 15-minute waiting list. We knew we were in the right place. Within a few minutes, another dozen people showed up.

We were eventually seated, and the restaurant was packed. Décor is minimal but comfortable, definitely casual.

After about ten minutes our server arrived to take our orders. Alcoholic drinks are available for about $7 and beer is about $3.50.

The menu is extensive, with typical items you find at authentic Thai establishments. The exception is there's no vegetable spring roll. The three fried roll options contain either shrimp or pork, so we skipped the rolls. Appetizers range from $7.99 to $11.99 - a little on the pricey side compared to home, but on par with other Waikiki eateries.

All entrees are $11.99 or $13.99 depending on your choice of meat.

We decided on Chicken Pad See Iew, of course, and Chicken Rad Na. It took a loooooong time for our food to arrive, probably more than 20 minutes, but again it was super busy.

When the food did arrive, we weren't disappointed. My husband said the Pad See Iew was the very best he'd ever eaten (and he's ordered that entree at dozens of Thai diners.) I tried it, and it was indeed remarkably good.

Chicken Rad Na was fantastic. My portion was enormous, but I finished every morsel. The chow fun noodles were wonderful, chicken was white meat, plentiful, cooked perfectly, and the Chinese broccoli was still just a bit crunchy. The rich sauce was generous, amazing.

If you have a larger group, you might find 15% gratuity added to your bill. If you want authentic Thai in Waikiki, Siam Square is the only place to dine.

Reviewed 3 November 2013

I had drunkard noodles with chicken, the mild version and it was plenty spicy for me. But it was great and if you like spicy food, this restaurant is a must try. The prices are very reasonable and our waitress was very attentive. I will be back next time I am in town.

Reviewed 24 October 2013

I ordered the red curry w tofu and the Tom yum soup w vegetables. Both were outstanding. The soup was huge. Very flavorful - the real deal. I didn't have food this good in Thailand. My only critique is that the brown rice was a bit over cooked/soggy. This place was recommended to my by a local and I can see why. Casual.

Reviewed 17 October 2013 via mobile

Dined here with friends - each had an entree and main and also a fried rice between two people. The waitress warned us it was too much - we didn't listen! The food was so delicious however we ate it all!! Prices were more than reasonable - especially compared to restaurant closer to the beach. Service was quick and efficient.

Reviewed 1 October 2013 via mobile

Good value. Pleasant atmosphere. Few more dishes on the menu that I would like to try. Tip is not included...looking at ticket right now. We will be back!