Your stay at The Modern Honolulu starts with traditional Lemonade with a splash of fresh Cilantro and a cool towel to relieve the humidity. The chic design of the hotel begins with the collage of autographed surfboards floating above reception. When you turn around, there is an impressive bookcase occupying the opposite wall. In the evening, it opens like a secret hideaway to The Study, a venue to enjoy a cocktail or something light to satisfy your taste buds. On the way to your room, next to the elevators there is an interactive touch screen highlighting The Modern’s areas to unwind and things to explore in the local area.
ROOM | The Partial Ocean View Room upon entry is spacious and light. The white and cream hues with teak features are a contrast to the usual palates of Hawaiian hotels. The room almost felt like you were in Los Angeles if it weren’t for the decorative ukulele, shells and colourful sarongs, which are also available for purchase. The view over the hotel’s two pools, especially the Sunset pool was stunning and extended towards the yachts and ocean horizon. The oversized outdoor furniture gave it another modern edge.
The king bed was comfortable and the Frette linen added an extra touch of luxury. There was no coffee & tea making facilities or stocked mini bar in the room, but items were available on request. Complimentary bottles of water were in room and were refreshed twice daily including Turn-down in the early evening. The bathroom was simple yet modern with a large Terrazzo vanity including a double sized basin and oversized shower. The Lather amenities were plentiful.
HOTEL | This is a hip hotel with a stylish touch where you can find lots of beautiful people. Along with The Study bar is Addiction nightclub for those who love to dance the night away. On the last Friday of every month, Elements at The Modern event is complimentary for in-house guests and includes fireworks on the beach which can also be enjoyed from your private terrace as well as a photo booth so you can pose like a celebrity and a local fashion show by the Sunrise pool.
We spent most of our time at the Sunrise pool and bar. Happy Hour served cocktails with names like Dragon Berry Hai and Siberian Sunset along with wines and boutique beers. The food menu has delicious options and the Spicy Fries and fresh Maui Gold Pineapple with bright Li Hing Mui powder are a must! The Sunrise pool area overlooks the endless yachts and is the place to relax on a daybed or oversized chaise with decorative cushions. The Sunset pool designed by Yves Klein is an adults sanctuary complete with palm trees and sand to tickle your toes. The Sunset pool is perfect for lazing around with your feet in the water or catching some sun on a lilo.
THE SMALL THINGS | On arrival we were asked by Valet if we wanted to carry our own bags up the small flight of stairs or did we need assistance. It wasn’t the best first impression for a hotel that prides itself on service. At Check-in we were greeted by a trainee who was friendly but was unable to tell us succinctly about what The Modern had to offer. I loved the pre arrival emails from Guest Services to help us personalise our stay, but was disappointed when the complimentary items weren’t in our room on arrival or delivered at all during our visit. If the pre arrival requests were executed, it would have been a concept well done.
We dined three times at the Sunrise pool and two of the times the initial service was slow. Guests who sat down after us were served before us and a staff member just bought us our bill without asking if we wanted dessert. The one afternoon we had free, we were unable to relax by the Sunset pool due to a Wedding. There was also complimentary take away coffee near The Study each morning which is great for those who need an early caffeine fix, but tea lovers are not accommodated.
IN SUMMARY | What you need to know….
- ROOM - Modern simplicity and spacious
- NUMBER - 927
- VIEW - Partial Ocean View
- BED - King size with Frette linen
- BATHROOM - Terrazzo vanity and oversized shower
- BATH AMENITIES - LATHER bamboo crème
- MINI BAR - Empty…. However there is an in-room menu to personalise your own bar including Modernized Bar Setups
- BREAKFAST - Did not sample, but the menu looked appetising
- RESTAURANT - Did not dine at the Iron Chef’s Morimoto Waikiki
- ROOM SERVICE - Did not sample, but there is a good variety of items on the menu
- HOTEL - Chic design throughout including the Sunset pool
- SPA - Did not visit, but the treatments are reasonably priced
- WI FI - Free and fast
- LOCATION - Away from the main Waikiki Beach, but close to the Ala Wai yacht harbor and endless shopping at Ala Moana
- PRICE TAG - Luxe
- LOVED - The room and complimentary entry to the Elements at The Modern monthly event
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Perfectly situated, THE MODERN HONOLULU stands at the epicenter between the world renowned Hawaiian experience of Waikiki Beach, the blossoming Kaka’ako arts district, and Honolulu’s downtown cosmopolitan scene. We are the hub of contemporary culture and creativity in Honolulu. Our boutique luxury is as refined as it is relaxed. An empowered team delivers THE MODERN HONOLULU experience -- alluring, personalized and innovative – surrounded by an award winning design concept that creates an urban chic beach aesthetic. LATHER spa features treatments developed around the purest products in the world -- natural, organic, and sustainable. Local and house-made culinary menus are offered for poolside and in-room dining, complemented by RAVISH Restaurant which blends our Island’s bounty with Asian flavors and South American tastes creating a true Pacific Rim experience. Two stylish pools overlook the ocean for daytime fun while a vibrant scene at The Study lobby bar is the spot for an evening rendezvous. It’s no wonder Thrillist magazine called us “The best boutique hotel in Hawaii.” ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Agoda, Hotels.com, Southall Travel, Hotelopia, Odigeo, TravelUp, HotelsClick, Travel Republic (UK), Ebookers and MrandMrsSmith so you can book your The Modern Honolulu reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Modern Honolulu Hotel Honolulu
- The Modern Honolulu Hawaii