“Friendliest staff anywhere in the world”

The Modern Honolulu
Ranked #4 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Melbourne, Australia
“Friendliest staff anywhere in the world”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 December 2013

My wife and I booked the first few days of our honeymoon trip at the Modern Honolulu. From the get go the staff were fantastic and the service has been remarkable.
I can honestly say - I've never had friendlier and more attentive staff ever!!!
Thank you Russell for pointing us to the best spots around Honolulu and for providing such a personalised level of care; we really felt like we were the only guests there.

1 Thank Zik Q

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,173)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 December 2013

Often I am disappointed by hyped up reviews, however the Modern did not disappoint!
The attention to detail, wonderful friendly helpful service, amazing restaurant and pool area - I didnt want to leave!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Amsterdam
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 December 2013

We decided to stay at this hotel based on the reviews from other people and we were very pleased with the choice. Because of earlier reviews I paid the additional cost of an Ocean View room, so we had a room on the 10th floor overlooking the pools & the marina. Noise was not an issue but I can see that for others that get a room facing the road then noise would possibly be a factor.
The biggest asset for this hotel is the staff. They were genuinely helpful and nothing was too much trouble. Location is also a positive because it is 15 mins walk outside of the main area which means that you are slightly removed from the really busy part of Waikiki. The bonus is that you can easily walk down to the lagoon and from there walk along the beach front which is a very nice alternative route into the main shopping area.
On our last day it was pouring with rain so we just went down to the covered area beside the pool, took up residence in a rocking chair and spent the majority of the day relaxing and reading. It was perfect.
The Modern is my choice for any other return trips to Honolulu.

1 Thank PaulDAmsterdam
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 December 2013

I stayed for 5 nights for our honeymoon. Rory and Erin helped me out with my stay from start to finish. The experience from the reservation to check-out was perfect~
The room is modern style, very clean. The pool is open 24hrs and the water is warm.
It is about 2 miles from the downtown Waikiki, but if you rent a car, you get to park at the zoo for $1/hr. Overall, wonderful experience.

Perth, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 December 2013

Stayed for one night. Rooms are very nice. We ate lunch at the bar by the pool and the food and service was excellent. At at the Japanese restaurant Morimoto in the evening and this was also amazing and the service did not disappoint. My only comment on this hotel is the construction is strange and there is alot of noise in the hallways on the floors of the rooms - lots of banging and echoing which disrupts sleep. I would recommend this hotel - you get what you pay for.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Noosa, Queensland, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 December 2013

I have just returned from a 9 night stay at The Modern in Waikiki and want to say what a terrific place it is to stay. I have previously stayed at the Moana Surfrider and The Royal Hawaiian and whilst they are beautiful hotels would much prefer this Boutique style hotel. I never had to line up or wait for anyone to help and nothing was too much trouble for any of the staff I dealt with. Russell on the Front Desk and Florence in housekeeping particularly I would like to thank and also Ross who patiently helped me change rooms. My daughter and I shared a Partial Ocean View room on the 15th floor and my only comment is that if you are a light sleeper pay the extra for an Ocean front room as there is traffic noise if you are nearer the road. Thats what I will do next time as we hope to repeat this trip next year. The bedding, pillows and comfort of the room is great and also the pool area and restaurants. We ate at Morimoto's twice. It is a little pricey but very good. 10 minutes walk to Ala Moana shopping centre and about 15 mins walk into central waikiki or bus stop just outside. The concierge desk staff were also very helpful with renting cars and choosing other restaurants. Sorry cant remember all the names. I have travelled a lot but found The Modern really stands out over a lot of other hotels in the world. Cant wait to return.

Room Tip: Choose a Ocean View room pool side if you are a light sleeper.