“Great Experience”

The Modern Honolulu
Ranked #5 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
“Great Experience”
Reviewed 30 January 2014 via mobile

It was a surprise weekend trip for my boyfriends birthday. First off, I called to make reservations and Hazel was extremely nice and friendly. She was very helpful and did her best to give me a great deal (I qualified for the kamaaina rate).

When I checked in, it was late around 7:30pm on a Friday night. Oliver checked us in and he became my go-to person for the weekend. Let me state that my boyfriend and I are not only in our early twenties, but we are also locals staying with the discounted kamaaina rate, so I was expecting a little attitude from the staff. I was very wrong.. Oliver treated us like we were VIPs. The room we stayed in was perfect and I loved the decor, however the TV didn't work. When I called down to report it, Oliver answered and immediately addressed my concern-- without any hesitation or attitude. He told me he'd have to call me back to diagnose the issue and I barely waited five minutes before he called up again. He quickly moved us to another great room. We were beyond happy campers.

Oliver was the absolute best! Whenever I had a question he responded quickly and went above and beyond to make sure we were happy. I had minimal interaction with the other Front Desk staff and although they were cordial, none seemed as warm or inviting to talk to. Oliver was he employee who really made our staycation perfect... I'm fact, I'd say he was the best hotel employee I've ever met.

The hotel was great. I loved the interior design and white rooms. Upon entry, I really like the surfboard art behind the front desk. We had friends over to hang out and they also loved the look and feel of the hotel. Definitely recommending this place to tourists and residents alike. In fact, I am already planning another staycation here, just crossing my fingers Oliver will still be there!

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,192)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Honolulu, Hawaii
Reviewed 29 January 2014 via mobile

With my many visits to The Modern, it's time for a well deserved review. I just last visited in November, and I'm already booked for March. My taste is contemporary, and all the amenities of the hotel fulfill my needs perfectly. My favorite part is the wonderfully hospitable professional staff at The Modern. I love to stroll down to the lobby in the morning to say hello to my favorite concierge Stephanie, and grab a cup from their tasty complimentary coffee service. The front desk staff welcome you with a smile and the warmest of Aloha every single time.
Thank you always as ever to Cassie at the pool for your over the top service and smile, Maxwell in the Study for your best cocktails and your command of the bar, and Ricardo for always making sure my stay is Most comfortable and enjoyable!

Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Joe D
Centennial, Colorado
Reviewed 29 January 2014

A hotel with a view that can't be beat...ocean, beach, and boat marina. The Modern Honolulu faces the south shore which gives you the very best of all worlds when it comes to the view. Nothing beats sitting on your Lanai staring at the beauty in front of you. The hotel itself has a great vibe...contemporary, friendly staff, and great service. Need anything? Just ask. And if you are in to late night activities, the best nightclub in Honolulu. Prefer dining to clubbing? The Iron Chef Morimoto has a great sushi restaurant. Even the hotel's own kitchen puts out great food!

Room Tip: Get a corner room. The views are amazing.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Charleston, South Carolina
Reviewed 29 January 2014

Panoramic, unobstructed ocean views from "modern" rooms with high end amenities.
Very hip atmosphere with 5 star service. Top rated spa, nightclub and home to one of the top rated restaurants (Morimoto Waikiki) in Hawaii. Beach accessible.

Room Tip: Corner suites have two balconies!
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed 28 January 2014 via mobile

I didn't get the pleasure of staying in one of their amazing suites, but I did experience the exquisite dining, first class customer service, lounge/bar/night club, and beautiful pool area. This place was amazing from start to finish. I highly recommend if your looking for a great ambiance, and if your over 25 and looking for somewhere down to earth but classy as well to party on the weekend. I was there for a week and what started as a small dinner the first day I got to Wakiki turned into me spending the next five days of my vacation inside the Modern, a must see and experience if you are in Honolulu.

Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Chapel Hill
Reviewed 28 January 2014

Background: Delayed review...Stayed for five nights over Thanksgiving. First time to Hawaii.

Hotel...Super modern, sleek, young crowd. No families while we were there, not very family friendly =). Very hip vibe from the time you walk through the doors. Renovations were completed back in 2010 and the hotel was going through a management change when we arrived, but we had no issues. Staff was young and...good looking. Has a Morimoto restaurant, didn't try, but again very swanky. Got recommendations from the staff on how to eat like a local and some traditional Hawaiian restaurants. One seemingly random referral was for a grocery store inside the Ala Moana Center (Mall). We were told that the Poke there (ahi tuna sushi style salad) was great and it was AMAZING! We ended up going their 4 of the 5 days for a cheap, delicious, and healthy lunch (picture attached). Cool lobby bar situated behind book cases in the lobby that opens up in the early evening. Hidden and its a cool kind of secret bar that attracts a young, fancy crowd.

Room...Ocean view room w/ balcony and some amazing ultra modern chairs. My favorite part about this hotel was sitting on the balcony in these super comfy chairs while watching the sunrise/sunset and eating local macadamia nut cookies. Room is decorated in a modern white palate with a few splashes of color. Bright, average size rooms.

Beach...blogs list Honolulu/Waikiki as having some of the best beaches in the world...and I would say THEY LIE!. The beaches are so shallow, hardly any room between the hotels and the water, and the beaches are very rocky (near the Modern and the Hilton Waikiki). The water is obviously beautiful, clean, and clear though. The Modern is not directly on the beach so they don't have a presence for beach chairs/service, but adjacent hotels do offer chairs and umbrellas for a fee. We ended up bringing beverages with us, since their was no service.

Pool...this is where the hotel makes up for its non-ocean-front-address. Very sleek, modern, and unlike any hotel I've ever stayed in. Still not a substitute for the beach, especially since there isn't much of a view when you're lying by the pool, but it still feels very exclusive. Drinks are spendy, as expected from a hotel like this, but you are surrounded by beautiful people and you feel like a rock star sipping mixed drinks by the swanky pool.

Overall, a good experience. The hotel is situated at the end of the row of hotels along Waikiki, but we still were able to walk every where comfortably and took a short cab ride if something happened to be a bit to far or if it was too warm. This hotel is not a big resort like the others it neighbors, but it feels like an escape from all the typical tourists. Beaches are less busy on this end and its a bit of a walk to get to the busier, less rocky beaches. Not exactly family friendly, and it would have a different vibe if it was. Younger crowd, full of 20 and 30 somethings. Hotel, staff, and environment deserves a five star review, but the location can register as a plus or minus (depending on what you're looking for).

Room Tip: Pool side ocean view rooms give you a bit of everything.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Batavia, Ohio
Reviewed 27 January 2014

Lovely, boutique type hotel. Off the beat and path from the hustle and bustle. Steps away from beach and right next to lagoon and harbor. Very quiet and convenient to everything. Ten to fifteen minute walk to main shops, restaurants and most popular streets. Room service and housekeeping is excellent. The rooms and hotel are extremely clean. The view from our room was perfect. I made note of our room number and the few around ours so I could ask for the exact rooms next time I return. Their Concierge department was outstanding...very accommodating. I recommend asking for Yuka. She was so helpful and knowledgeable. She assisted us in in our ten day holiday; making dinner reservations every night for us and setting up daily adventures for us to partake in. For example: parasailing, kayaking tours, whale watching, hiking diamond head and sunset catamaran cruises. I had set up three previous tours prior with Enoa Tours. A Circle tour of the island, one of Pearl Harbor and of course Haunauma Bay. The staff at the Modern Honolulu are eager to please and always have a smile on their faces. They are professional, respectful and have the customers best interest in mind at all times. All one has to do is speak up and they will try their best to make you happy. A person on holiday can not request more than that. I travel all around the world all the time...I usually prefer B&B's...but I did love it here. I highly recommend it and definitely will stay here again. Thank you so much, Yuka, Oliver and Mr. Lutchman.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends