“5 star experience at Modern Honolulu”

The Modern Honolulu
Ranked #5 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Claremont, California
“5 star experience at Modern Honolulu”
Reviewed 31 January 2014

Hands down this was the nicest room/suite I have ever stayed in, period...The view, the double balconies, the clean, white and then also colorful rooms...the impeccable service, spa message, extraordinary pool area and easy access to the beach and other restaurants. The Modern has to be at the top of anyone's Honolulu Hotel list. Five stars all the way.

1 Thank marchiba

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,189)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Honolulu, Hawaii
Reviewed 30 January 2014

For the sake of time, I won't go into details about The Modern's perfect location right on the beach with a stunning view of the harbor, the ocean, the sunset, the Friday night fireworks and the city lights of Waikiki, or the fact that it is positioned in a manner that allows an easy walk to just about anything you'd care to see in Waikiki without having to fight the sometimes brutal Waikiki traffic, but rather I'll focus on the property itself. The Modern is absolutely stunning down to every detail. In fact, having stayed 5-6 times for both business and pleasure, I was surprised at EVERY visit by details that I noticed, or did not notice but were pointed out by the staff. Details as simple as the very materials used in the construction of the hotel and it's amenities, and the positioning of the furniture and decor in the rooms, all have a story. And it's a story focused on guest experience. After my FIRST stay, I was noticed and called by name when speaking with staff and management. Everyone was there to assist me and to build my experience. Check in was an experience all in itself as well. I was given the VIP treatment that was far superior than any other hotel I've stayed in the past, even those in which I hold "Platinum" or "Elite" statuses. The room was an extension of the property in that no detail was ignored. Functionality was present and not lost on design. I could have been in a plush, L.A. hotel... until I walked out on the balcony. The view was unbelievable and there was no doubt that THIS was the Hawaii stay I had been looking for. I cannot rave enough about The Modern. If I could give the "Service" category a higher rating than "5", I definitely would. It is unmatched. Stay at The Modern if you are in Waikiki. Trust me, you will thank yourself for this simple decision!

Room Tip: Book early and pay for an ocean view. In the evenings the bookcase located in the lobby opens up be...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Seattle, WA
Reviewed 30 January 2014

This was my first time staying at the Modern and for the most part, was not let down!

Location: It's at the far end of the Waikiki strip which was great - less people, traffic, etc. but still within walking distance (less than 15 mins., trams also available for $2).

Décor: Most of the hotels in Waikiki are on the older side however the Modern is refreshingly updated and chic. When I first walked into the hotel, I was immediately reminded of a W Hotel. But after staying there for a night, I realized it was better (less cheesy clientele).

Rooms: We had a partial ocean front room which was beautiful. Great décor, good TV, good shower/bathroom, and comfy bed and linens.

Food/Drinks: The food was overpriced for what you got, but the drinks were great. We went for happy hour and had cocktails and beer for $5 each. A great bargain in Hawaii! We also went across the street to the Harbor Pub. It's a true boating crowding - not super fancy but the pizza was fantastic, as was the happy hour!

The only disappointing thing about the hotel was that the pool was closed. Unfortunately, that was the real draw of the hotel when we booked. While they did offer to let us use a pool at a nearby hotel, it was more of a hassle than it was worth (had to be escorted by security to get in) and it wasn't nearly as nice as the pool at the Modern. I complained upon checking in and was given a room upgrade and a $100 credit which was a nice gesture but didn't quite make up for the lack of a pool.

Overall, I think the place is great, especially compared to what else is out there in Waikiki. I'll definitely try it again when I return.

4 Thank nelsoli
Reviewed 30 January 2014 via mobile

It was a surprise weekend trip for my boyfriends birthday. First off, I called to make reservations and Hazel was extremely nice and friendly. She was very helpful and did her best to give me a great deal (I qualified for the kamaaina rate).

When I checked in, it was late around 7:30pm on a Friday night. Oliver checked us in and he became my go-to person for the weekend. Let me state that my boyfriend and I are not only in our early twenties, but we are also locals staying with the discounted kamaaina rate, so I was expecting a little attitude from the staff. I was very wrong.. Oliver treated us like we were VIPs. The room we stayed in was perfect and I loved the decor, however the TV didn't work. When I called down to report it, Oliver answered and immediately addressed my concern-- without any hesitation or attitude. He told me he'd have to call me back to diagnose the issue and I barely waited five minutes before he called up again. He quickly moved us to another great room. We were beyond happy campers.

Oliver was the absolute best! Whenever I had a question he responded quickly and went above and beyond to make sure we were happy. I had minimal interaction with the other Front Desk staff and although they were cordial, none seemed as warm or inviting to talk to. Oliver was he employee who really made our staycation perfect... I'm fact, I'd say he was the best hotel employee I've ever met.

The hotel was great. I loved the interior design and white rooms. Upon entry, I really like the surfboard art behind the front desk. We had friends over to hang out and they also loved the look and feel of the hotel. Definitely recommending this place to tourists and residents alike. In fact, I am already planning another staycation here, just crossing my fingers Oliver will still be there!

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Honolulu, Hawaii
Reviewed 29 January 2014 via mobile

With my many visits to The Modern, it's time for a well deserved review. I just last visited in November, and I'm already booked for March. My taste is contemporary, and all the amenities of the hotel fulfill my needs perfectly. My favorite part is the wonderfully hospitable professional staff at The Modern. I love to stroll down to the lobby in the morning to say hello to my favorite concierge Stephanie, and grab a cup from their tasty complimentary coffee service. The front desk staff welcome you with a smile and the warmest of Aloha every single time.
Thank you always as ever to Cassie at the pool for your over the top service and smile, Maxwell in the Study for your best cocktails and your command of the bar, and Ricardo for always making sure my stay is Most comfortable and enjoyable!

Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Joe D
Centennial, Colorado
Reviewed 29 January 2014

A hotel with a view that can't be beat...ocean, beach, and boat marina. The Modern Honolulu faces the south shore which gives you the very best of all worlds when it comes to the view. Nothing beats sitting on your Lanai staring at the beauty in front of you. The hotel itself has a great vibe...contemporary, friendly staff, and great service. Need anything? Just ask. And if you are in to late night activities, the best nightclub in Honolulu. Prefer dining to clubbing? The Iron Chef Morimoto has a great sushi restaurant. Even the hotel's own kitchen puts out great food!

Room Tip: Get a corner room. The views are amazing.
Charleston, South Carolina
Reviewed 29 January 2014

Panoramic, unobstructed ocean views from "modern" rooms with high end amenities.
Very hip atmosphere with 5 star service. Top rated spa, nightclub and home to one of the top rated restaurants (Morimoto Waikiki) in Hawaii. Beach accessible.

Room Tip: Corner suites have two balconies!