“Beyond Belief!”

The Modern Honolulu
Ranked #7 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Reviewed 27 February 2014

My husband and I stayed here for our honeymoon, before spending some time on the Big Island. It was his first time on Oahu, and he enjoyed it tremendously, mostly I think due to The Modern. Wow! I have stayed at many hotels, and have been fortunate enough to stay at many nice ones, but The Modern is extremely special. Even though you are in a big city (a lot of people's negatives about Wakiki and Honolulu), this hotel feels like an oasis of peace and tranquility.

Another special thing about the Modern is loveliness of every single one of the staff. Everyone from the receptionist who greeted us, to the concierges who nicely printed out directions for us, to the waitresses at breakfast, they are all warm and treated us with a generosity-of-spirit that seems genuine. I feel everyone takes great pride in doing their job excellently and they sincerely wanted us to have a great time. Just sitting at the pool and having a person from the wait staff bring us ice water was so kind, not to mention the fresh fruit and sunblock provided. Really, I cannot praise them enough.

For me, it was an ideal location. Just a short walk to the beach, but not right on the beach or in the bustle of the city. And the décor was warm, stylish, and made me want to just move on in.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (4,182)

Reviewed 27 February 2014

This is a first class hotel; the rooms are big and clean; the staff goes out of their way to be helpful and the facilities including the pool, spa and out side bar are all great.
I would stay at the Modern Honolulu again.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 February 2014

We spent 2 weeks at the Modern to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary and could not be happier with our hotel choice. It is a big hotel with the feel of small boutique hotel. The style is modern yet warm, with a lot of wood and greenery. The rooms are a nice size, very comfortable beds and some nice touches, turn down service (I miss my nightly cookie), free bottled water, larger than normal bath products and a ukulele.
The location, which was a minus to some, was a plus to us. A bit removed from the main tourist area yet within easy reach by foot or public transportation. The hotel is an easy 5 minute walk to the beach but I suggest you go 5 minutes more and use the beach behind the Hale Koa.
The pool are was also nice, enough seating, comfortable lounges and a nice bar. The service at the pool was sometimes slow but always friendly. We also really liked the live music at either the pool or The Study.
The real star of the Modern is the staff. They were attentive, friendly and went out of their way to provide good service. I booked over the chat function of their site, after finding a cheaper price on Expedia. They matched the price and upgraded our room to a balcony. Upon arrival we also got a a free drink and a nice note congratulating us on our anniversary. We made good use of the concierge service, I had several exchanges with Yuka before our arrival and she set us up well. I wish I could refer to more staff by name as many deserve to be singled out. Again, it felt like the service you would get with a smaller boutique hotel.
We have stayed in many wonderful hotels so it means something that my husband have put it at the top end of our list of all time greats.

Room Tip: We had a balcony ocean view room with a lovely view. The balcony was an upgrade but well worth it to...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 February 2014

We have just returned from a week at The Modern, and we could not speak highly enough of the staff, facilities and the location of the hotel.
Prior to our arrival the hotel was organising restaurants and special arrangements for our forthcoming trip, to celebrate our Anniversary.
EVERYBODY was smiling, helpful and welcoming, during our stay
The location of the hotel is ideal. Close to the Ala Moana shopping centre, but far enough away from the hustle and bustle of the busy Waikiki strip, but still within walking distance of the various quality restaurants. You must also eat at the Morimoto, a great restaurant inside the hotel.
This was our first trip to Hawaii in over 20 years, having holidayed locally in Australia and in Asia - having experience The Modern - we will back!!

Room Tip: We had a king bed with ocean view. We watched the fireworks from our balcony and was able to enjoy t...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Rodney N
Reviewed 24 February 2014

I'm a local girl, born and raised in Hawaii. I know the island pretty well and have a lot of visitors from the mainland. The Modern is my go to hotel that I recommend to them. It has such a great feel, fun nightlife, fantastic location, amazing views, and the best parties!! One of my favorite things to do is do happy hour at the pool deck, listen to live music, enjoy great cocktails and pupus. The Modern is fantastic for private events as well! I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank danshellshawaii
Reviewed 24 February 2014

After 12 years of visiting Honolulu, finally they have the right hotel for Californians.......not to say it is not right for the rest of the world......"
Nowadays all hotel companies are trying to create that happening atmosphere..... Maybe they should visit the modern honolulu and learn a few tricks. Great service, in a trendy luxury hotel. Did I mention it is not scripted......it is genuine and sincere.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 22 February 2014

Our travel agent told us to try this recently renovated hotel located at the airport end of the Waikiki strip. About 10 minutes walk from the Ala Moana mall, the hotel is located next to a marina and shares a beach with two other hotels. This is a cool joint. Furniture that screams Beach Boys, a shop that sells the most eclectic holiday items (eg ukeleles) and two beautiful pools - one reserved for adults.

We had a great dinner on the pool deck late one evening and a beautifully presented and delicious in-room breakfast.

Our stay was all too short so another trip is in the planning.

• Stayed: February 2014