“Truly modern”

Ranked #4 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Honolulu, Hawaii
“Truly modern”
Reviewed 9 May 2014

Stayed here for a week while on business trip in Honolulu. Originally wanted to stay in Outrigger but in the end concluded this hotel was better - it is newly renovated, all rooms updated with a modern touch (aka no suspicious looking bathtub stains), very good bar (Library) and restaurant (Iron Chef Morimoto), free morning coffee and tea, cookies in the room every night...
The location right next to Hilton Lagoon is perfect too, not in the heart of Waikiki but walking distance to all its greatness. It could still be noisy with all those firetrucks, ambulances and police patrols running around at all hours, but windows are quite tight.
It is also one of the few hotels to open its swimming pool 24 hours.
It has a very young clientele compare to many other hotels in the area. Which means less children in the pool, more people at the bar.
I got a corporate rate but I think it was good value for its location, amenities, service and convenience.
Only thing to take away the 5th star is when I checked in I was asked for my credit card as a security deposit, while usually on business trips the company corporate card should have taken care of it before my departure, later when I checked out they have already charged room services to my personal credit card too which should have been to the corporate card. I had to do expense claims afterwards which brought an exchange rate loss... Also on my welcome letter it stated that there is to be one free drink from the bar per stay. When I checked out it was not taken off my bill, and had to ask for it again.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,172)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Lahaina, Hawaii
Reviewed 7 May 2014

This is a great property conveniently situated on the edge of Waikiki so it is a much quieter location. I chose to stay here first because of the location. Everything you need is in walking distance including great restaurants at all price points, Ala Moana Shopping center, the Convention Center and Waikiki Beach. Morimoto's is great a top restaurant right on property, the Library Bar is always a lively place and a most interesting place for people watching!
Beautiful ocean and harbor views. The "Modern" decor is hip, fun and still keeps you in mind of being in Hawaii. Staff are all attentive, friendly and you can tell they have been very well trained to make guests feel pampered and comfortable. This is always my first choice when staying in Waikiki.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank k c
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 5 May 2014

We stayed at The Modern prior to a business conference. We thought the property was very nice and we were really happy with our room. We got a package which included an upgrade to a oceanfront suite, breakfast, a spa treatment and a resort credit, a really GREAT value!! We were a little taken aback upon arriving because the carpet in the lobby and hall to the room was stained, which The Modern should really address, however, our room was very nice and clean. The bed was very comfortable and they had the long pillows, which is a real plus for me!! Also, in the room, was a Keurig Coffee Maker, which was generously stocked everyday. The staff was exceptionally friendly and nice and very helpful. The concierge desk was extremely helpful and addressed our every need and want, including making reservations and altering them. The pools were great with plenty of comfortable and large lounging chairs with attendants who took towels to the chairs and covered them for you. We had dinner at Morimoto, and it was fantastic. We had breakfast each morning and it was fantastic. We were really sad when we had to leave to go to the Hilton Hawaiian Village for the conference. The only thing we would have changed was going to the conference first and then The Modern after, to really appreciate its serene, quite and classy atmosphere, especially after the Hawaiian Hilton, which is extremely busy, kinetic and not a chair to be had at the pool after 7:00 AM!!!!!!!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 5 May 2014

My partner and I researched for about 2-3 weeks on where to stay in Waikiki....we knew each hotel inside and out. The Modern was our choice in the end and we did not regret it 1 bit. The rooms are not huge but very clean, and as the name suggests, modern. The service was awesome. All the staff were lovely and helpful in every way. We could have stayed another 2 weeks. I have already talked 2 other friends into changing their accommodation to stay at The Modern. Highly recommend it. The staff, pools, gym and food were all great. Cannot fault it. It's a little away from the main strip of Waikiki which for us was perfect.

Room Tip: Choose a room on a higher floor and away from the elevator
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Lena W
Kihei, Hawaii
Reviewed 4 May 2014

I had the pleasure of staying at The Modern Honolulu in April 2014. From the moment of my arrival I found the staff to be very attentive and friendly. I had previously stayed when the hotel was the Edition and I was so pleased that they kept the same decor and fun chic atmosphere. I recommend upgrading to an Ocean View room category to take advantage of the typically gorgeous sunsets. One of my favorite aspects of the hotel is the bar that opens up at night when it is revealed from behind a lobby bookcase. The pools are relaxing with very comfortable seating and plenty of space. The hotel is very close to Ala Moana shopping center with lots of dining options and on property they have the amazing Morimoto restaurant.
The concierge staff was very friendly and gave great suggestions and directions.

Room Tip: Any room is amazing bu tI would choose an ocean front or ocean view option.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Mauisungod2014
Pasadena, California
Reviewed 3 May 2014

Whether you lounge by the pool or enjoy a drink at the bar, The Modern offers pleasant, courteous service. We look forward to visiting the hotel and staff each time we stay in Honolulu. Our first stop is for a sunset cocktail during Happy Hour, complete with mellow live music and delicious appetizers. When visitors suggest a meeting for lunch, we recommend the poolside seating. The atmosphere is a nice twist on the Waikiki vibe, more subtle and cosmopolitan than further down the beach. Some of our favorite servers have offered local activities and dining options during our stay. Thank you Cassie, Maizie and Geoff.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Chintziepoo
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 3 May 2014

I stayed at another hotel in Waikiki that was twice the cost of the Modern - and it was not even half as nice. The Modern was fantastic

The pool and pool bar were great, sunbeds fantastic and the staff excellent

Next time in Waikiki I will definitely be staying at the Modern

Room Tip: So long as you're not facing Ala Moana Blvd you will have a view (even if only partial) of the o...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends