“My stay”

The Modern Honolulu
Ranked #7 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Reviewed 15 May 2014

This hotel is beautiful and emaculately clean. The service is wonderful and them staff is as well. I have stayed in many hotels across the US and other countries but never received the service that I received at the Modern. The staff is polite and courteous. If I was going to rate my experience numerically, it would be 100 percent excellent. Visitor from Montgomery, AL

Room Tip: I couldn't imagine any room that would not be comfortable and beautiful. As we were very high...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Deedee B
Write a ReviewReviews (4,182)

Reviewed 15 May 2014

As someone who travels frequently for work, I can easily say that this was one of the best hotels that I have had the pleasure of staying at.

This will be the only place I stay when coming to Oahu. The staff is outgoing and very friendly, I have stayed here a handful of times and now I seem to know half the employees on a first name basis. When you first get here you are greeting by valet and the front desk and you immediately feel comfortable. They greet you will a cold towel and lemonade - a very nice touch.

You will not be bother by kids splashing in the pool or running around screaming, which is one of the things I love about this place. They do have an adult on pool that is shin high as well - perfect for relaxing. The other pool (heated and salt water) is very elegant.

The food is fantastic, whether or not you are ordering to your room or eating by one of the two outdoor pool bars. You can't ignore the fact that Morimoto's is attached to the hotel as well. LOVE IT.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Michael H
Reviewed 15 May 2014

I stay at the Modern for business and have been coming back for two years. I have stayed at other hotels on Waikiki and after my first stay at The Modern I have stayed anywhere else. This is without question the best hotel in Waikiki. The service is top notch, Russell the manager will cator to your every need and the Derek and Bryant at the pool bar have raised the profession of bar tender to a new level. The location is excellent if you are here on business, its less than 10 minute taxi to the downtown, or if on island for pleasure a ten minute walk to the heart of Waikiki.

The food at The Modern is an exception for hotel food. Room service is available 24 hours a day and the quality never slips. The Modern is also home to Morrimoto Restaraunt, and is one of the most unique sensations your pallet will ever experiance.

The Modern offers all types of experiances depending on your fancy. The nighlife at the hotel is fun, the spa is relaxing, the food is exquisite, the location is divine, the pool is saltwater, and the staff is exceptional.

Overall, The Modern is a cut above every other hotel on Waikiki and because of its combination of elegance and flair you never know who you will run into at the pool, spa, or restaraunt. Bottom line is that if you have the opportunity to stay at The Modern and you choose another hotel you are a fool.

Room Tip: Ask to stay on the higher floors, try to stay off the 3rd floor as the nighclub is bumping Thursday...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 15 May 2014

We had the nicest 5 nights in Waikiki, the Modern Honolulu was perfect. Extremely friendly staff, helpful beyond words conceirge staff, clean, tidy, modern rooms, lovely comfortable beds, fantastic pools and facilities. Thank you all from the pool staff to the waiters and waitresses, reception, bell hops, cleaners - you made our trip very enjoyable. Do yourself a favour and stay at this wonderful resort, close to everything, especially the marina and Ala Moana shopping centre

Room Tip: Beach front may be a side view, not beach frontage
Reviewed 15 May 2014

I originally planned to stay here with my husband for three nights and spend the rest of the vacation at Turtle Bay Resort on the North Shore, but we decided after three nights at Turtle Bay that we missed The Modern too much and we came back. Upon entering we were greeted with refreshing drinks and wet scented towels while checking in. We immediately loved the vibe of the place and every single member of the entire staff we interacted with was friendly and engaged. Our room had a view of the pool and we loved the decor. In each room you get free bottled water that is replenished every day, as well as coconut cookies on your pillow every night. The bath soaps are one my my favorite hotel brands: Lather. The hotel has a super clean and modern gym, which i used about 4 times. They have two pools, both are stunning. I loved going to the pool, because they played sexy lounge music, they had towel concierges, and the waitresses that served pool guests were on top of it. The drinks are not too expensive and I highly recommend the frozen coconut mojito. The adults only pool is is about a foot and a half deep, and you have to get your own towels, but the downstairs pool is normal size. We used Ryan the concierge to book reservations for us at Morimoto, a tour of Shangri La, and a a beautiful sunset sail that we did, he was awesome, take advantage of their services! So suffice to say when we left after a three night stay and headed to Turtle Bay we went into withdrawal. Turtle bay is a perfectly fine resort, but they do towel cards instead of a towel concierge, and they serve you in disposable plastic cups, (even at some of the restaurants) instead of chic plastic re-useable cups, also the level of service cannot be compared, at The Modern they give the impression that they are excited to help you and at Turtle Bay it just seems like a job to them. (which I totally understand it is, but most of the staff there do not give the impression that they have pride in what they do) Also the seating all around the pool and the entire hotel at the Modern is beautiful and the pool chairs at Turtle Bay need to be replaced ASAP. So after three nights there we came back to Turtle Bay, everything was going great until........the worlds worst people arrived by the bus load. They were holding a conference for a company called Just Energy and they happen to employ the most ill-mannered bunch of people I have ever seen. Wearing curlers in there hair at the pool? Check. Swimming in their dusty, crusty flip flops? Check. Screaming out their windows down to the pool? Check. Screaming at the pool in general and asking the price of every single thing? Check. Wearing the terry cloth slippers from their hotel rooms to the pool and even across the street to the liquor store? Check. And finally throwing a lit cigarette onto our balcony while we were sleeping and burning a hole through my husbands shirt? Yup. Screaming through the halls from 2-4am? Yes, indeed. So the morning after the cigarette and noise we went to the front desk and talked to them, I guess I should mention I was six months pregnant and we were on our baby moon, we spoke with Travis and he was very apologetic and told me we were not the only ones complaining about this group. This is btw a non-smoking hotel and no smoking is allowed on the balconies either. He upgraded us to a corner suite so I could get some sleep and gave us a $100 credit to spend at the hotel, as well as offering to pay for my husbands burned shirt. I felt that he handled everything well and the rest of our stay was great. I do have to fault the hotel slightly though, because I feel they should have researched Just Energy and seen they had a "F" rating from the BBB, among a bunch of other lawsuits and issues and the company has changed their name three times, so what did we expect the employees to be like? Most of them acted like they had never been out of their house before never mind on vacation. Anyway all the food and drinks we had from the hotel were excellent. I recommend a place down the street called Goofy's for breakfast and a place a little further down called Bill's Sydney for anytime. The location is great if you love to walk and see the town and their are plenty of places to eat and drink nearby. The hotel is not directly on the beach but it is very close, with beach and marina views. The lagoon right outside of the hotel is excellent for paddle boarding, and Honolulu is a great place with a ton to do. I LOVED The Modern and can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the beach/pool, then you can have an excellent view of the fireworks from your...
1  Thank LagunaCorinne
Reviewed 14 May 2014

The Modern is a well appointed comfortable hotel with great service. It's not too big and so feels more cosy and personal than some of the bigger hotels. While it is a little out from the main drag it's a lovely walk and we actually found this to be of benefit mostly, especially after a large meal! On the plus side it is one if the closest hotels to the large outdoor mall and was an easy walk. The room was very nice, the bed very comfortable and all was very clean and tidy. The only negative is that the noise from the hall does tend to travel so ask for an end room away from the lift to reduce the noise from the corridors a bit. This was most apparent on our last night with a large conference group arriving at the hotel and ready to party, coming and going at all hours of the night. Other than that a great place to stay and I would recommend.

2  Thank Neena1171
Reviewed 13 May 2014

We haven't even been here for 24, but have been so impressed by the service that we felt we had to leave a review. Arriving at the hotel we were greeted by a flock of very attentive and professional valet attendants. Check in was quick and easy and we were given a refreshing drink on arrival. There was some confusion as to the room rate and package we had booked online. During check in and shortly afterwards Chris and Ricardo went to great lengths to figure out where the mix up had occurred. And resolved the matter in a way that completely exceeded our expectations. The service by the pool was also exemplary. More to come.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple