“Breakfast Restaurant Oasis”

Ranked #7 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Maui, Hawaii, United States
“Breakfast Restaurant Oasis”
Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

My wife , 3 year old and I were cruising waikiki for breakfast. We're here on a little vacation from maui. Nothing seemed to fit the bill. We then happened on the modern. A chill place at the pool deck with beautiful trees, Parisian style cafe tables and a view of the marina. It felt right. Charis, our server, was pleasant and professional. We met the manager/ director, Timothy Gusty. What a great guy. He's got the place shining and he just started a few months ago. I highly recommend it to anyone who is looking for something above the fray, but totally accessible and chill.

Stayed August 2014

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,215)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Reviewed 5 August 2014

I have stayed at many hotels..(I'm in the travel industry) and this place by far is the best place I've ever stayed at!!
The room was perfect.
The pool area is amazing,would often get carried away and be out there for hours..cocktails helped!
Gym was great..and the staff were just wonderful,so helpful and friendly and all looked like they were really happy to be working there.
This place is just so cool without trying to be.
You will not be disappointed...love this place!

3 Thank Rebecca M
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed 5 August 2014

I love this hotel. Such a contemporary retreat close to everything. A very relaxing environment and great service. The breakfast pancakes are huge and delicious! I would definitely recommned this hotel to couples looking to be close to Waikiki without all the people. Only a 10 minute walk or $10 taxi ride to the main Waikiki area.

Room Tip: Ocean view is a great option with the balcony overlooking the pools.
1 Thank kerrie j
Honolulu, Hawaii
Reviewed 4 August 2014

Another good time! I was invited by friends this past Saturday for adult beverages/pupus on the pool deck. It was just in time for a magnificent sunset (near Waikiki). I say near Waikiki even though the property is technically in Waikiki, but it never feels like I'm in the heart of Waikiki. Which for me as a local, creates an even greater experience. And for me, that has always been the draw card that I don't feel like I'm smack dab in the middle of all the tourist activity. Even though I am... The wait staff (Virginia) on the pool deck was awesome, especially knowing she was new to the hotel. She had a great smile/attitude and always seemed to be around when we needed her. The hotel now serves my favorite vodka (Tito's- whoop, whoop!) which always a plus. I'm a burger freak and their fresh ground steak burger is "off the chain" with all the fixings-can't miss!!! After our meal and a little dessert (cheesecake), we made our way downstairs to "The Study" for a night cap. The lounge is always a favorite of mine because of the friendly staff and all the different personalities that typically roll in on a Saturday evening. You will find a mix of locals and out of town Hawaii guests. In the 4+ years that I've frequented the property, I can honestly say I always meet new and interesting people from almost everywhere. The bartenders can and are willing to make almost anything you can think of. From the valet guys on up to the managers, I always feel like I'm a VIP! So for me, it's like my home away from home. Thank you Modern... See you again soon! I'll definitely will be there the food festival just like last year!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 4 August 2014

We have travelled quite a bit over the past few years, and no hotel we stayed in came even close to the amazing experience we had over our 20 night stay at The Modern (and if not for the fact that we had to get home, we could easily have stayed for 20 more!).

From the minute you enter the foyer and are enveloped with this amazing scent (which we soon learnt was the signature Modern scent filtered through the air vents), you are greeted by genuinely warm and friendly smiles from the most amazing staff. Each person who works there was so incredibly accommodating, attentive and lovely, without being contrived or overbearing. We were never made to feel unwelcome or uncomfortable, and nothing we asked for was too much trouble.

The main pool area was divine – our favourite spot being the lounges in the pool. The mid morning treats of juicy and sweet pineapple pieces, and afternoon delights of mini sorbet cups of coconut and lime, rockmelon or raspberry were lovely little surprises throughout our stay. Even the water stations around the pool area which were flavoured with different fruits each day, from strawberry/ lemon to pineapple/ mint and citrus to name a few, were a refreshing relief from the warm sun. The food at The Groove was delicious and most reasonably priced, and the cocktails were pretty amazing too! The adults only pool area was a great escape, floating around on the lilos, without a care in the world.

Dinner at Morimoto is a must! The décor alone is worth seeing, and the magnificent food and wonderful service capped off an incredible experience.

The room itself was perfect – with the option of having your own pod coffee machine, kettle, even yoga mats were all included. And it’s worth noting that the bathroom products were divine – from the lemongrass body wash, to the mint thyme shampoo and all other items in between.
Our spa treatments were again a first class experience, with the most wonderful therapists and a beautiful range of Hungarian products.

We will definitely stay here again, sadly not soon enough, and would highly recommend The Modern to anyone looking for the perfect hotel experience.

Room Tip: Depending on how lightly you sleep, perhaps ask for a room on a higher floor, or away from the lobby...
3 Thank Nicky P
Reviewed 4 August 2014

It's probably because this place is independently-owned that they've been able to excel where others haven't. It's as cool as they come - the staff have quirky uniforms, there's some awesome art and a hidden bar behind a bookcase! But it's the luxurious and thoughtful little touches - and the great service - that set The Modern apart. It's tucked right up one end of Waikiki - but I liked being away from the main tourist drag - and it was a shorter walk to Ala Moana shopping centre. In my opinion, there's no other option.

Room Tip: Pay the extra for a room with a view, though for many it's not a direct view... you have to look...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank cobysworld
Reviewed 4 August 2014

I travelled to the Modern Honolulu in Feb 2013 with my partner, son and his family.
Our room was great, had everything we needed, staff were very helpful and had a balcony that had a nice view. Convenient location - close to restaurants and ala moana shopping centre!!
However, some of our family members had to be moved as they were close to the ground floor and they could hear the club at night - not the best thing to have when you're trying to sleep at night.
Overall, a nice, modern hotel - would definitely stay again but would probably look at other hotels first!

Room Tip: Try and get a room that is on a higher level!
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family