“luxury relaxed holiday”

The Modern Honolulu
Ranked #7 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
“luxury relaxed holiday”
Reviewed 13 August 2014

I have just spent 9 days in Hawaii at The Modern and it was so enjoyable. There were a party of 10 staying for a wedding and we all had the best time. Rooms beautifully appointed and clean.
the pillow on the bed were to die for, all meals really nice, close to shops, beach. Service from all staff so pleasurable and nothing too much trouble...we will be returning to this paradise.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,207)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Auckland
Reviewed 13 August 2014

We booked in for a 3 night stay at this hotel. On arrival hotel staff are extremely friendly and helpful, actually the during the entire stay the hotel staff are superb. My expectations were high as I had heard great things about this hotel.
However it does have a few faults. Firstly the 2 swimming pools ( or should I say 1 and a bit) were a bit of a let down. The main pool was packed and as you can guess no spare lounge chairs to be seen. The upstairs pool was more like a paddling pool for rinsing your feet and is a disappointment .
The rooms themselves are modern, but the state of the carpet needs to be addressed as there were quite a few stains in the room and in the hallways. The bed also has dangerous corners that I would advise to be careful with.
The location of the hotel is so so. The marina itself is dirty and it is a 10-15 min walk into Waikiki.thou only 5 mins to Ala Moana shopping mall. If you wanted to be out of the bustle but within a decent walking distance then this hotel would suit.
Would shop around as this is quite highly priced.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Rachael B
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 10 August 2014

The Modern definately lives up to it's name! Great hotel, great food and the pools are amazing! Rooms are really spacious with a lovely fresh feel. Would highly recommend this property. The only negative feedback I would give is that is not is walking distance to Waikiki centre but is in walking distance to Ala Moana shopping centre and Wallmart.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank KFC820
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 10 August 2014

We just love The Modern. It has an understated edgy vibe that is still welcoming and homey. The staff are helpful but not insincere, the food options are delicious and healthy.

Rooms are super clean and fresh. Location is perfect - far away enough to chill, close enough to everything for convenience.

Our favourite team member is Justin down at the pool. We know when he's at the helm we are going to have an amazing day.

Room Tip: All the rooms are lovely.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank CrackersMannix
Australia
Reviewed 9 August 2014

We have just returned from a week at the Modern. Our expectations were high as many of our friends and family had stayed here recently. At first there were things that we found annoying, but perhaps it was just us acclimatizing to winding down for holiday mode.

We would return and stay at the modern.
The position.
This position would not be to everyone's liking. We loved it.it is at the quieter end. So if you want to walk out the hotel door and be hit by lots of people and full on shopping then perhaps this position is not for you. In saying that you are literally a 5-7 minute walk to ala moana shopping centre or if you don't walk..one trolley stop away. We love walking and the 15-20 min walk into the hub, depending on your pace, was just what we wanted after a dinner meal. The trolley bus stop is outside the illikai next door if you don't want to walk.$2 per person.

Our room was not ready on arrival but within a few minutes at the desk and a shuffle and approval from a manager a room was allocated. After a long flight overnight from Oz we appreciated heading to our room.
The rooms are clean looking and spacious enough.. We had a partial ocean room. This means depending on your position you will overlook the wharf...remember Gillian's island..this is where the boat departure was filmed from. It's pretty. However don't get too fixated as how long do you spend on the balcony.
The cleaning of the rooms:on the first complete day we headed off to find our bearings. We were gone for most of the day so when we returned at 4pm to an unmade room we were really disappointed. We rang downstairs and were informed that they had a high occupancy rate and they allowed cleaning up to 5pm. I asked that someone come and was advised it would be done in the next half hour.the lady was pleasant and I was happy. We left the room and returned 45 minutes later with our room still not made up. I called downstairs and had a gentleman. I advised that I wasn't happy that the room wasn't done and had been advised it would be. He was curt and I felt surly in telling me 'we are at high occupancy' and they have till after 5 to complete. I should have asked for his name as his tone was rude. He acknowledged that I had made a previous request. I asked for someone to come straight away. We weren't thrilled with his manner. The next day we were gone early again and returned at around lunch time. Again the room not done. This time I called and just requested for someone to come and make up the room.tt was responded to in half an hour. The days after that they must have noted our request. Our room was made up prior to midday. So in the end we were happy with the response time.
The bathroom is nice. The Shower is large with strong water flow. Always a winner after a long day of walking around.

Pools
The pools. If you are looking for a pool to do laps, this is not it.however it is set up very nicely and there is no problem getting a lounge chair as people can't just leave towels reserving seats.

The second pool. The adult one is lovely.more like a baby wade pool in depth. Perfect for floating on one of their daybeds and sipping a drink.a really nice touch with someone coming around with cold water continually and topping up. Also their free little gelati/sorbet cup whilst you lounge around. Pool staff were very friendly. They have iced water and sun cream by the main pool also for guests.

The lifts.
This is the hotels biggest downfall. There are three and they are so slow.they are in need of a power boost. You feel like the day is passing you by as you wait for one,

The restaurants.
We did not have breakfast included so headed out. Goofys is 3 minutes away and was ok. Our favorite was in Waikiki and worth the walk. It is more australian cafe style.Bills is new and worth eating breakfast lunch or dinner at.
Dinner at morimotos on the second floor near the pool is not to be missed. It was a highlight .
meal/evening.
We only ate lunch at the hotel once and it was nice. Interestingly the portions were tiny for American standards and even just on the small side by australian standards. We had ordered salads for our lunch.

The concierge desk
They were all helpful. We used them to make some of our dinner bookings and also our car hire reservation. The rate they found me at enterprise was as good as I could find for a mustang. They also loaned us free of charge a farming gps. A nice touch.

The front desk
I forget the lovely staff member that assisted me on the niggt that my debit card was not working. I needed to make a reverse charges/collect call to the bank and the operator didn't understand me. The lady at the desk was having trouble also, so in the end she called through, at the hotels expense. It was not an expensive or long call but her assistance was greatly appreciated.Using an aussi mobile costs a fortune to make calls on.

Overall a lovely boutique hotel.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank lishwiener
Copenhagen, Denmark
Reviewed 9 August 2014

You feel at home right from the start. Check in is personal and soon all staff knows you. Rooms are all new - white, clean with some wood - like you are still on the beach. We had a room on the 8th floor - (changed to one with a terrasse = half of the experience) - the view to the pools + ocean was superb. Pool area - all with wood is very stylish and the restaurants really good. We had a la carte breakfast and also had dinner at the Japanese restaurant - both superb, but not cheap (Note: the Japanese food is spicy) The hotel is close to the Ala Moana shopping Center (walk) and on the far North of Waikiki Beach. This is a big plus - you have the beach- not crowded and coming back you feel like coming home. When seeing the Hilton Hawaiian Village with 4-5 Towers down the beach - you almost feel sorry for the people living there.

The Modern is super place. Do get a room with a balcony on the un-even numbers side (to the South)..

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank DK-Gentofte-PN
Reviewed 8 August 2014

It took me a while to find a hotel to stay in Honolulu and I'm so happy I stayed at the Modern. The hotel is new and renovated and used to be part of the Ilikai Hotel (I was told by a local friend)

I arrived at 9am at the hotel, way before check-in time, but I was able to use the shower and change room in the Spa. Front Desk said they'd assign a room for me as early as possible since the hotel was full, but I decided to walk to Ala Moana shops whilst waiting for my room to be ready. After I got back to the hotel around lunch time, I realised they had sent me an email at 10.30am already to say my room was ready!

I booked a partial ocean view room which directly looks onto the back of the condo on the opposite side of the road, but as it was far enough away, it didn't bother me very much. The room has a view of the marine and ocean from the balcony. The room was a good size, and bathroom was modern (shower only) with some really nice smelling Lather brand hotel toiletries.

I had a massage in the Spa which was great. There are 2 pools (one is an adult only pool by the patio) but even though they are not huge, they don't get very crowded, like the bigger hotels along Waikiki which you can see when you walk past them.

I had lunch at Morimoto, which was a disappointment. The service was kind of lacklustre and the sushi was average. Breakfast on the Patio was great though along with the service.

The idea of the Study is just brilliant. Separated by a movable bookshelf, complimentary coffee/tea in the mornings and at night it turns into a bar area. It's great to be able to come back at night and be able to get a drink before heading back to the room.

The hotel is great and I'd definitely come back. It may not be right in the centre of Waikiki, but it is away from the hustle bustle of Waikiki which makes the stay more relaxed. You can walk to Waikiki beach from the Modern and you can also walk to Ala Moana shops. There is a convenience store just opposite the hotel too.

Room Tip: Higher floors are probably quieter.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo