“Great Surfing Lesson”

Hook up Surfing
Houston, Texas, United States
“Great Surfing Lesson”
Reviewed 24 June 2013

Ivan was a true professional. My son and i actually took lessons at the Hilton Grand Village where we were staying a few days before. Our friends kids wanted to go surfing so we found Ivan and he gave us a private lesson which was 100 times better than the one at the Hilton. I would greatly recommend him and Jeni (took our pictures and video). It was the same cost as it would have been at the Hilton with 15 people. Really had a great time.

Visited June 2013

Boca Raton, Florida
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Surf coaching - This is the real HOOK UP - Aloha!”
Reviewed 11 June 2013

I had two surf coaching sessions with both Ivan and Jenn and they are true pros. My sessions with both privates and they really care about picking the right surf spot that is not too crowded. They definitely pushed me and challenged me which is what I asked for...everything about their sessions is custom and tailored to you! Ivan is an awesome instructor and noticed little details for improvement and constantly reinforced techniques. He emphasized the elegance of surfing to work with the wave. Jenn shot photos and videos and was an amazing instructor as well. They even did a custom mixed surf and standup surf session were they switched up in the middle as Jenn is a pro SUP surfer as well. I'll leave Oahu with a LOT better technique to my surfing and SUP surfing technique. If you want a REAL surf experience that is more than just standing up on a board - check out Hook Up Surfing...they are the real "Hook Up"!!!

Visited June 2013
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“worth five times the money...”
Reviewed 9 June 2013

We reserved a surf lesson for our daughter with Ivan because of all the great reviews, and that was a great move on our part. W can't say enough good things about Ivan. He gave lots of individualized attention and was very safety conscious. Several of the other students who had made reservations that day cancelled on him at the last minute for no obvious reason, but, being a professional, Ivan didn't cancel our daughter's lesson. He ended up basically giving her a private lesson and he didn't complain about it at all. What a great guy.

Visited May 2013
Iowa City, Iowa
“The Only People You Should Go To”
Reviewed 26 April 2013

We had an amazing experience with Ivan and Katie! They make you feel prepared with some instructions and practice on land but you spend the majority of your lesson time out in the water. Ivan makes you feel like a pro and even my nervous 65-year old parents felt confident after only the first wave. Ivan is a real pro and deserves all the credit. Not only did he teach us well and have us riding waves right away (just relax!!), he drove us home after the lesson without even asking when we showed up late because we didn't realize our meeting spot wasn't exactly in walking distance from our hotel after all. (Totally our error, and there is tons of parking at the location where he meets you.) He even gave us a full lesson despite being late. Katie took awesome pictures for us that will help us remember our trip for a lifetime. She is also an awesome surfer and did most of the on-land instruction and had tons of tips for us while we were out there. You are supposed to be tired after surfing but we are still hyped up on the high! Couldn't recommend these guys at Hook-Up Surfing enough.

Visited April 2013
Huntington Beach, California
39 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 87 helpful votes
“So Much Fun!”
Reviewed 13 April 2013

I was on vacation for a week and decided to go surfing. I actually found Ivan on Craigslist and it was the best decision I've made. He is really funny and friendly and after a short land lesson, you are out on the water! He helps you paddle out so that you don't tire getting out into the waves. I REALLY appreciated that! He then finds the perfect spot for you and off you go. He pushes you out onto a wave and hopefully, using the advice he gave you, you stand up and ride and ride and ride. Literally, some of the waves are so long, you are on the board for a good 30 seconds or so. It was amazing. You then have to paddle back (a feat in itself) and then you're off again. Over and over again. By the time your session is up, you have ridden at least a few waves if not more. Ivan makes it fun, easy, and an incredible addition to an already perfect vacation in Hawaii! I highly recommend hiring Ivan to help you check the box on your bucket list for surfing!

Visited April 2013