“Girls trip to Hawaii”
Review of Hook up Surfing

Hook up Surfing
Reviewed 2 August 2013

We had a great time with Ivan. He set up a small group lesson for the four of us and we all had a blast. He was a good teacher, very personable, and a very cool guy. Rock on Ivan! Your Ohio girls had a blast riding the waves! Pinky ;)

All reviews
in 134 reviews
"lessons"
in 41 reviews

Reviewed 29 July 2013

Surfing was the one thing that my friend and I really wanted to do while in Hawaii. We heard about Ivan and Hook up Surfing and decided to give it a shot. I woke up the day of our surfing lesson really sick. Ivan was very understanding and we were able to reschedule our surfing lesson for the next day at no extra charge. At the start of the lesson, we spent about 20 minutes on the ground learning the basics of surfing; how to stand on the surf board, get up and down safely, the do's and don'ts, etc. We got into the water and paddled away from shore. My friend and I both got up and rode a wave on our first try. We also had some flops, but it was one of the best experiences I have ever had. Ivan was a wonderful teacher and we definitely got our money's worth. Go take a surfing lesson. You won't regret it!

Reviewed 29 July 2013

Ivan is the best surfer and instructor ever! Over the last few years my family has been visiting Hawaii, and been surfing with Ivan. Before my family found Ivan we just took a lesson from a hotel instructor that we though was ok, but when we meet Ivan we could see how much better he really was! Ivan is very professional and always looking out for everyone's safety! Unlike instructors you may find at your hotel, with Ivan you really get your moneys worth. At age 9 Ivan taught me how to surf and feel comfortable out in the waves. I learned so much in such a short period of time, I went from a long lanky board to a shorter board as I got more advanced through the years. Ivan is a great teacher he would be a very good choice to teach you, or your children!

1  Thank Shelby S
Reviewed 16 July 2013

My friend and I booked a lesson with Ivan today, we wish we'd met him sooner! He was fun, professional and a great instructor. We booked another lesson for tomorrow. Don't bother with the guys at the beach, this is real surfing! It was one of the best experiences we've had in Hawaii in 7 visits.

1  Thank KendraNYC
See more reviews
Reviewed 5 July 2013

The only activity my 14 year old son begged to do during our trip to Hawaii, was to learn to surf. We found Ivan at Hook Up Surfing, through a surf shop across the street from our hotel.
This experience was worth every penny!
Ivan picked my son up promptly, and headed over to the surfing location for a private lesson. After spending time on the ground, learning the basics about surfing, Ivan and my son took to the water. In less than 3 minutes in the water (NO JOKE) my son was surfing!!
Ivan was very knowledgeable, positive, energetic, friendly, and an overall awesome instructor!
We HIGHLY recommend Hook Up Surfing--- don't waste your time with the people who sit on the beach and advertise, or the companies that are found inside the hotels/on hotel properties-- they are too expensive, for a much lower quality lesson.