“What a shame”

4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“What a shame”
Reviewed 2 April 2014 via mobile

I did this hike with 2 girlfriends last fall and the entire time I kept thinking how beautiful it was, how I couldn't wait to show my mom when she finally got the chance to come to Hawaii for her first time. Definitely some of the most breath taking views in all the island. I've done almost every public hike on island and this is in my top 3.

Sadly those who live in the area decided to CLOSE it to the public. All I can think of is HOW SELFISH. Hawaii Nei is for all!!! I've read through their frustrations with trail goers, but all I can think of is that 1.) there is NO way this private estate owns the ENTIRE trail. 2.) You chose to live at A FAMOUS trail head.

Not to say their grievances are not valid, but putting myself in their shoes .... Wealthy, living at the base of an AMAZING trail head , I would take the opportunity to educate the public that came, I would hike it myself all the time!!!

SUCH A SHAME. Disappointed.

Mead anybody hiked it since the fence went up? Are there alternative trail heads? Would like to know if I could still sneak my mom up... Please advise

17 Thank natalianstalion

Honolulu
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Mariner's Ridge Trail is not on public land and is closed”
Reviewed 21 December 2013 via mobile

The new iron fence at the entrance of the trail and the warning sign are very clear signal from the land owner that the land is private property, not public land. Let's respect other people's property like we want others to respect ours. I certainly don't want other people to trespass into my property. Hawaii is a beautiful island and there are plenty of public trials and attractions to enjoy.

Visited December 2013
2 Thank T C
Honolulu, Hawaii
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 50 helpful votes
“New gate installed at entry to Mariner's Ridge hiking trail”
Reviewed 17 December 2013

Mariner's Ridge, owned by a private estate, has been officially closed since April 2013 with a couple of sings but many hikers ignored the warning and entered the trail crossing the chains. As another reviewer reported, a senior tourist fell off and died from a combination of heart attack and the fall in June. A couple of weeks later, a young man was lost, mobilizing not only family and friends but the police, ambulances and helicopters to rescue him. He walked out from where he spent the night. Hikers' bad manners to litter the neighborhood, illegal parking, urinating on property, and using driveways as picnic spots continued. Finally, in December, the estate installed metal fences to completely block the entry into the trail. Neighbors are relieved that they don't have to deal with ill feelings toward bad mannered hikers or travel agencies whose vans were bringing up dozens of tourists making the neighborhood look like a zoo. May I also point out that the trail area is owned by a private estate, not by government.

Visited December 2013
9 Thank Showertreegirl
Anchorage, Alaska
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Keep trails open to public in Hawaii”
Reviewed 28 November 2013

We hiked this trail and found it tough but doable for most Bring water and good shoes a walking stick would be helpful The sites are great and will reward your efforts Didn't like the chains saying keep out These trails are for all and I hope they will stay free for the public. I found the trail clean and free from abuse by the traveler.

Visited November 2013
2 Thank marble472013
Richland, Mississippi
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 76 helpful votes
“Moderate Hike - Incredible Views”
Reviewed 27 September 2013

The trail can be a little challenging in places for a weekend warrior, but the views were incredible!

Visited September 2013