“Great Find!”

Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: 9th Ave
Reviewed 2 June 2014

Although we say we'll eat here, we only seem to get to JJ for dessert - and we are never disappointed! I confess that I'm a chocoholic, and if it's not chocolate then it's not dessert -- their Pyramid cake is fantastic.... you'll love every bite! My wife varies her choice - usually something with berries, and she too always have a smile on her face at first bite.
Next time we have dinner there for sure!

There are newer reviews for JJ's Bistro & French Pastry

Reviewed 24 March 2014

JJ is a creative genius first known for pastries sold to fine hotels. He opened a tiny -4-table bistro many years ago and popularity deemed expansion to even include banquet room. Menu creations range from lobster avocado appetizers to rack of lamb to specialty pizzas. Everything out of kitchen shows the pride of the family owned and run bistro.

1  Thank AlohaHanauma
Reviewed 21 March 2014

Friends staying in Hawaii for an extended stay discovered JJ's Bistro. They invited us to join them for dinner, there. But, first we went to Tamura's Fine Wines situated in the same neighborhood to select a bottle of white wine & a bottle of red wine for dinner as JJ's has a BYOB policy. If, you enjoy wine, go to Tamura's. Their selection is unbelievable!

Our waitress was friendly, efficient, & had a good sense of humor. We were the first table seated for dinner. We had reservations which was a good thing. Within a very short time, the place was packed. The noise level was very loud. As we looked around at the other patrons, we decided we were the only tourists in the bistro. The price point of this restaurant is much lower than many of the places in Honolulu. We had the lobster avocado roll & the shrimp with garlic & jalapeno appetizers. The roll was tasty & well prepared. The shrimp were over cooked which made them difficult to remove from their shells. For my entree, I had the linguine with baby scallops & sun dried tomato. The dish was well prepared, the pasta al dente & the scallops opaque. But, there was only one tiny sliver of sun dried tomato! Come on! Don't put it as a feature on the menu when there wasn't enough of it to be considered even a garnish! My husband had the Cornish game hen with mashed potato. He enjoyed his dish. But, the portions
shocked him. The mashed potato was the size of a marshmallow! We seldom order dessert at restaurants as we are usually too full after a meal. We ordered dessert, here. We shared their raspberry tart. It was really lovely with fresh raspberries providing a lovely palate cleanser.
This restaurant missed the mark due to its very small entree portions. That is why lost a star.

Would I go back? Probably for lunch rather than dinner.

Reviewed 12 March 2014

I only had the Pyramid Cake and a (Illy) coffee. OMG how decadent. You would not expect that on a tropical island. Can't wait to taste all the other deserts. But next time we will try the dinner menu. No wonder the walls are full of awards. The atmosphere is good too. The place is decorated with a nice French touch without being cheesy. I will be back.... many times.

Reviewed 4 March 2014 via mobile

My son and I went on a whim. We were in search of another restaurant which was closed so we wandered into this place. What a surprise. It's a diamond in the rough, the outside is not very fancy nor is the inside, but oh what a meal. My son loves pad thai so he tried the lobster pad thai. It was absolutely the best he's ever had. I was not a pad Thai fan and I fell in love with this dish. The cream of crab and corn soup was the best soup I've ever had, hands-down. I opted for a quiche and salad combo which was a mere seven dollars, in Honolulu that's cheaper than a big Mac. Our meal was absolutely delightful but the best is yet to come. The owner is also an exquisite French pastry chef. The display is artistic unto itself. He had a wide variety of pastries. We were so full we brought 2 home and they were heavenly