“Stay Away? Like Hell!!!”
Review of Beijing Restaurant

Beijing Restaurant
Ranked #1,093 of 2,349 Restaurants in Honolulu
Price range: US$20 - US$45
Cuisines: Chinese, Asian
Good for: Groups, Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighbourhood: Waikiki
Description: Beijing Restaurant is one of Hawaii's leading restaurant specializing in Chinese seafood cuisine and is conveniently located in the Royal Hawaiian Shopping Center. The restaurant also specializes in serving unique dim sum selections for lunch.
Denver, Colorado
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Stay Away? Like Hell!!!”
Reviewed 27 February 2014

The Beijing Palace in the Royal Hawaiian Shopping Center on Waikiki is the best Chinese food I have had in America. It rivals the Chinese dishes that spoiled me in Singapore. During one eight month period I spent on Waikiki working on a project I would eat there at least two and sometimes three times per month. The food was always excellent. The service was always prompt. Wait staff were polite and accommodating. The owner met me on the first or second visit and when I complimented the Jasmine Tea, he got me a tin. I once took a party of eight to the restaurant on a business dinner. When I was asked to order on behalf of the entire group I was in Seventh Heaven. Can you imagine being able to order so many of your favorite Chinese foods for a party as large as eight?

I don't know what sparked the original review but no, I would never stay away from this restaurant. This will be the first place I eat dinner if I ever return to Hawaii.

• Visited March 2013

• Korean first
“Good but pricey Chinese food”
Reviewed 9 February 2014

We were looking for good Chinese food near Waikiki and found this restaurant via Yelp. We had dinner there, ordered a shrimp dish, a vegetable dish, and a black bean chicken dish. The chicken and vegetable were very good, and the shrimp was tasty but not outstanding. Our waiter was friendly and helpful. The dishes were more expensive than we expected.

Visited February 2014
Seattle, Washington
“Excellent Chinese food”
Reviewed 24 January 2014

We have eaten here several times (both lunch and dinner) over the past few years, most recently in December. We have without fail had excellent food there, and have found it to be one of the better Chinese restaurants in Honolulu. The sticky rice with chicken was nicely done, as was the shu mai and other dim sum dishes. If you want something different, try the turnip cakes. They are the best we've had outside of Hong Kong. The abalone dish is also excellent.

The service was perfectly acceptable, even friendly, and communications problems that are a common complaint at many Chinese restaurants was most definitely not an issue on any of our visits.

• Visited December 2013
Philadelphia
“AVOID this place - Tourist Trap - Terrible service and mostly mediocre food -”
Reviewed 3 January 2014

If you like having your food thrown onto your table with no explanation of what you are eating and generally mediocre food - This is the place for you. The one exception was the Steamed Fish (Small and very overpriced) Waitstaff pushed though to put things on the table with out a word while we had to stop eating and hold onto our glasses so water or tea did not spill. We were a party of 8 and felt like anything we asked for was a bother. One of the dishes we ordered we sent back and the waiter said he would take it off the bill. When the bill arrived it was still on the bill.
When we complained about the service the reaction from the manager was "We had 600 diners tonight and no one complained" - By the end of the meal, I was sure I had eaten at a "Tourist Trap". Avoid this place - expensive and unimpressive.

• Visited January 2014
1 Thank RHKH
Victoria
“Don't eat here!”
Reviewed 29 December 2013

We stopped by for dinner last evening and wish we had walked right by. We ordered two dishes - one was a "chicken with cashew" dish. THe mushrooms in the dish were fresh from the can, and the "chicken" tasted fishy - I even asked if the small, hard whitish grey things in the dish were indeed chicken and the server just nodded. There were very few cashews in the dish - sadly, they were the best part of this dish.

The rice dish was covered in a brown glutinous sauce that also smelled fishy - in the worst sense of the word. I live in an area where fishing is big industry, and the smell of this dish reminded me of what the hold of a fishing boat smells like before it is washed out.

Save yourself and go to another Honolulu restaurants!

• Visited December 2013