“Great take-away spot”
Review of Genki Sushi

Genki Sushi
Ranked #485 of 2,526 Restaurants in Honolulu
Reviewed 12 March 2014

We got sushi take-away twice on our recent trip to Honolulu from the Kapahulu location. Both times the service was quick and the sushi was very good. We especially enjoyed the ahi tuna and the salmon. Would definitely return again.

Reviewed 27 November 2013

I know. There are sushi joints all over Japan that use touchscreen ordering and automated delivery. But, it's still a lot of fun to have it available in Honolulu! We were pleasantly surprised that there were no long lines of people waiting to get in last week. Granted, we were there for a very early supper. So much fun learning to order from a touchscreen pad and having the food zipped to your table automatically on the delivery conveyor belt. It's like watching the Jetsons cartoons! Quality of food was good. If you want exceptional sushi, go somewhere else and spend lots more $. But for a quick and informal meal or snack, this is more than adequate. There are the typical Genki Sushi pre-made sushi plates and other dishes travelling by most of the tables on the conveyor lines if you want to just pick up the plates as they go by, but they aren't as fresh as when you order from the touchscreen. If you order tempura or any other fried dish, make sure you place an order. (You don't know how long the pre-made items have been on the conveyor belts.) Prices are very reasonable. Different color plates are different prices. You push a button to call the wait staff when you're done and they count the plates on your table (by color) and give you your bill. So much fun and so reasonable, my sis and I went back again for another meal a few nights later. Give it a try. It isn't hard to order. Even two makule (old) aunties figured it out really quickly!

Reviewed 18 November 2013

I never understood why some people say Genki Sushi is "cheap" or "low quality." As far as I can tell, none of those people have ever been there before and are simply making an opinion based upon the store's chain nature. The chefs make the sushi right in front of you, unlike most places, so there is no fear that someone dropped a piece of fish on the ground and served it on a piece of rice seconds later.

Not only do I LOVE Genki sushi's atmosphere, including the conveyor belt of dreams, but they also sell certain foods that I canot find anywhere else. I love, for instance, the Garlic Salmon, the Vegetable Croquete, the Baked Muscles and the String Bean Tempura. I can't find equitable versions of those anywhere else, or else I'd have to buy $30 worth. At Genki, every portion is small and fairly cheap so you eat exactly what you want, down to the last grain of rice.

I am not a huge fan of the new set-up at the Ala Moana Genki. Now all orders are typed into a computer screen in front of you, and as a result the prices have gone up a bit since my last visit 5 months ago.

Overall, I;d say go Genki or get outta town.

Oh and one tip. It's always best to order plates directly from the servers if you care about its temperature - many of the plates on the conveyor belt have been on there for 20 minutes or longer and are room temperature.

Reviewed 20 October 2013

Not only does sushi pass by on a conveyor belt, you can order up to 4 items at a time on a touch screen and your order is zipped to you in a few minutes. After you get your order, you simply push a button and it zips away. The whole dining experience was really fun. Sushi here is not the best in Hawaii but beats any sushi place in the Midwest.

Reviewed 24 September 2013

It is a different way to serve sushi. It was relaxing and easy to make your choice since they were on a moving belt. You could always get it the second time if you missed the first time. You could also order from the menu if you don't see anything you like. Overall, it was a good experience we visited it twice during our stay :)