“Average”

Hilton Waikiki Beach
Ranked #27 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Reviewed 27 November 2013

I usually stay at Marriott properties but I thought I'd give the Hilton Waikiki a try. I should have noticed that this hotel used to be the Prince Kuhio Hotel. No really big issues, just a bunch of annoying little issues. For instance, housekeeping begins at 8 am. At least 4 times, when I returned to the hotel well after 3 or 4 and my room was still not made up. When I mentioned it at the front desk, the reply was, "Well they have a lot of rooms to clean." Then, every time you want to use the elevator, you have to insert your room card. The problem was that half of the card readers in the elevators didn't work. It was sort a shell game with choosing the right elevator. The last issue I'll mention (although there are others) is the room air conditioning. It blows directly down on the bed. You are either hot or freezing.

Room Tip: If you are a pool person, the Hilton's pool is in the shade a good part of the day. Ocean view...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
GM-HiltonWaikiki, General Manager at Hilton Waikiki Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 6 December 2013

Aloha and thank you for your review. Thank you for giving us a try and I apologize that we did not meet your expectations during your stay. There is always the option to request a specific time you would like your room to be serviced and that should have been mentioned to you, I am sorry about that and will make sure that the front office is notified of this. I do hope you had safe travels home. Aloha

Thomas Foti

There are newer reviews for Hilton Waikiki Beach

Reviewed 27 November 2013

I've stayed at this hotel 3 times in the last 2 years. As a Hilton Diamond member I've been lucky enough to be upgraded to room 3715 which is a huge mountain view suite twice. The hotel caters to a mix of business travelers, vacationers and airline crews.

This not a mega resort on the beach so if that is what you are looking for you might be disappointed. However that is the reason I like it. It is more like a typical Hilton, nice lobby area and public areas but not overwhelmed with crowds and long walks just to exit the property. It is located right in the middle of everything. Step out the front door and you are 2 blocks to the beach and right in the heart of Waikiki. The traffic is terrible in Honolulu so it is nice at the end of the day to park and not need a car until the next morning.

Staff is great and this is a well run hotel. Don't miss the half price Mai Tia's in the lobby bar at happy hour. Also the on site restaurant Mac 24/7 is very good.

Be aware only valet parking at $25 per day is available on site.

All of my trips have been for business but I will be staying here next time I visit on vacation.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank ahracing
Reviewed 27 November 2013

Rooms are quite small but adequate for 2 people. We were upgraded to a Mountain View Room which was nice of the check-in staff member but didn't really impress us too much... we just ended up being on a really high level. The hotel is a block from the beach and away from noise (so you can sleep at night). Trolley (for shops) stops right in front of the hotel. Great choice of TV channels. The bed was more of a queen bed (not king as advertised) and no assortment of pillows were provided.. all pillows were extremely soft. I just wish the rooms were little more spacious, bigger 'king' bed and had bathroom robes. 24/7 Mac (restaurant located inside hotel) was great. 'Filippe' F&B attendant was fantastic for breakfast service. 'Sandiago' provided poor service during dinner. Gentleman positioned at reception providing towel service was extremely nice and helpful. We would possibly return again.

3  Thank 24rack
Reviewed 25 November 2013

I have stayed in Hotels all over the world and this one will stand out. They actually care about their guests and treat them as Honored Guests. The location is superb for seeing the Waikiki Beach area.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
1  Thank Timothy S
Reviewed 24 November 2013

We spent 7 nights here during our Hawaii Vacation. Hotel is very nice and close to Waikiki beach. It's not a beach front hotel, so don't expect a direct ocean view, however you can get ocean view depending on your room through other buildings. I was Hilton Diamond member at the time and was told at the check-in to not expect any upgrade as the hotel was fully booked. This was weird as I had not asked for any upgrades. Also, it seemed like they were very particular about the guests' access to the executive lounge. The staff in general seemed very negative. This experience pretty much caused me to switch from Hilton to Marriott. Now, I am Marriott platinum and have had really good experience with all my stays. This hotel is really nice, room and amenities were really good. I just did not have the pleasant experience I expect on my vacation.

We used the parking right next to the hotel which turned out to be much cheaper.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple

Aloha and thank you very much for taking the time out and writing a review on your recent stay with us. I am very happy to hear that you enjoyed the room and what the hotel has to offer. I do apologize about the service that you received during your stay. I am sorry that it had a negative impact on your vacation and I would like to let you know that this is not common practice. I will be sure to bring this up in our managerial meetings to make sure that this doesn't happen in the future. Aloha and Mahalo

Thomas Foti

Reviewed 23 November 2013

Returning Hawaii residents, we were not there for all of the typical "tourist" stuff. We still had such a wonderful time there. The hotel upgraded us to a Junior Suite for the price of a regular room and put us on a high corner floor with views of both the ocean and the town. The Staff was above and beyond from the instant we parked till the moment we left. People everywhere but never a wait and never a staff member without a smile; they showed us so much aloha. We were traveling as couple but the room was so big we were able to invite some of the relatives up for drinks and food. My expectations were exceeded in every way and my wife thanked me; she was so happy she was nearly in tears. It was just a short stop between Guadalajara Mexico and Japan and wish we could have stayed longer.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a higher floor.
2  Thank Khamkeo
Reviewed 20 November 2013 via mobile

I made the reservation expecting it to be a 'has been in the 80s' style hotel but what a nice surprise! The room was recently refurbished. Nice comfy beds and plenty of storage in the bathroom and everything is so clean and new. It is so quiet in the room you can hardly hear the traffic or your neighbors. I loved the little lanai where we enjoy our morning coffee (sometimes lunch too). Excellent location. Close to the beach and all the action while not in the middle of it all. I will recommend Hilton Waikiki Beach (also called the Prince Kuhio Hotel) to all my friends.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple