“First ever visit to Hawaii” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hilton Waikiki Beach

Hilton Waikiki Beach
Ranked #24 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“First ever visit to Hawaii”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2014

My husband and I recently stayed here for our honeymoon. I don't understand the complaints about small rooms as I found our mountain view room perfectly adequate! All staff we encountered were attentive and friendly. House keeping we're efficient and even didn't mind coming back later on the mornings we wanted a lazy lie-in!

Only used the bar/restaurant a couple of times - once to avoid tropical storm Iselle! But the staff were all great and the food was about the same price as in some nearby restaurants. We went to Tikkis bar and grill a few times as it was recommended by the hotel and meant we got to sip cocktails near the beach watching the sun set!

The pool is small and it can be windy up there but works for me as I get overwhelmed in crowds sometimes such as on the beach. If you time it wrong though be prepared to have to compete with the kids for space in the pool! I think I managed to avoid getting hit during a rather long ball game however! The beach is a short walk away and the hotel provided towels. It was worth it to say I'd swam in the Pacific.

Hotel maybe looks a little dated in places but it honestly didn't bother me. The only disappointing thing is we mentioned it was our honeymoon a couple of times and I see other reviewers saying they got chocolates sent to their room without asking. I know a paradise destination such as Hawaii probably gets people saying that all the time but it does feel like we got treated differently when you see so many mentions of it in other reviews. It's a very minor thing though and I can't fault any of the staff because they were still very friendly! I'd definitely stay here again as we hope to return to Hawaii someday.

Room Tip: I prefer mountains to beaches in terms of view so was very happy with a mountain view. The sea does...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank AikaterineXXVI

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (905)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Newton Mearns, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2014

Spacious clean rooms, efficient staff. The room was quite modern and reasonably well equipped, but no extras such as dressing gowns or slippers and the wardrobe was in the bathroom (a bit strange!). We had a very small balcony (on 26th floor), with a beach & sea view - however, note that the hotel is one block back from the beach, so there are other hotels blocking a clear view. The pool area was disappointing, as it was very windy (not really the hotel's fault), lifeless (no background music, no pro-active offers of drinks from staff, etc.) and the pool was small and not very clean. Nothing like a 'resort' style hotel. The restaurant was poor - not sure if it was trying to be an American diner or not? However, the hotel is convenient for Waikiki beach and easy walking distance to the other hotels & restaurants of Waikiki & Honolulu. I'm sure the frontline hotels would be better all round (Marriott, Hyatt, etc.) but that will be reflected in their room rates. Note - we found most USA hotels to be Room Only and breakfasts can be $30 per person. We were happy to have tea/coffee in the room, then grab a muffin or fruit from a local store on the way out.

Room Tip: Sea view room far better than city or mountain.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank RichardTasker
Chicago, Illinois
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2014

Pros: I liked the location of the hotel (the north park of Waikiki is much more touristy/crowded/family-orientated) and also its modern décor. The room was a good size and had a nice view. No free wifi but we survived.

However, for the price and as Hilton rewards members, I was not satisfied with the customer service in this hotel. The first morning, I woke up to find a roach on a towel in the bathroom sink (eek!). I understand that these bugs thrive in a tropical environment, but for the cost of the hotel, would not expect to see one here, and on the first night no less. I brought this up to the front desk when getting change and her attitude was simply “ I’m sorry but this is the environment they live in– it probably came from outside as we do not have any roaches in the hotel.” And that was simply the end of the discussion.

However, things took a turn for the worse when I left my bathroom bag there (with $100 dollars worth of beauty products/toiletries inside). We moved to a condo for the second leg of the trip, and that night after checking out of the hotel, I immediately realized I had forgotten the bag and called customer service, who put me through to maid service. Throughout the trip the cleaning staff was really friendly toward the guests, always saying hello, but on the phone, the head of the department insisted that nothing was left behind in the room. She then went to see if the room hadn’t been clean yet (which was nice, but it had) hence no sign of the bag. However, she suggested I could leave my phone number and they would ask the maid who had cleaned the room about it in the morning and call me back. This was my second time calling and also my husband called, so I am sure that they had the right room number and telephone number as we repeated it several times. After not hearing back from the hotel for a few days, I called them back to inquire about the status of the lost items, and they had in fact, to my surprise, located it (but failed to call). On the one hand, maybe it is standard procedure for the maid to hold on to any lost items for a few days or there was a lapse in communication but it also seemed liked it could be a case of tourist seems to traveling back to the mainland = free stuff. Granted, it was my fault for leaving the bag in the first place but the whole process was overly drawn out. I have left behind items in other hotels before and they have always been promptly returned.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Traveler5225700
GM-HiltonWaikiki, General Manager at Hilton Waikiki Beach, responded to this review, 12 August 2014
Aloha, I want to apologize for the unfortunate experience that you had at our hotel. The health and safety of our guests is of the utmost importance and is always a focal point of our operations in order to continue providing our guests with a great experience. We appreciate you bringing this to our attention and will work to make sure the problem is addressed. We are sorry that it took so long to locate your bag but we are glad that we were able to return it to you.

Gold Coast
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2014

This is an overrated hotel it would be lucky to rate 2 stars in Vegas. It is old, there is only air conditioning in the rooms.the Checkin clerk was unhelpful and rude. The rooms are tiny. We booked an executive room and we we're upgraded to a parlour suite. Suite is a very large exaggeration of what we all know a suite to be. It is 2 small rooms one set up as a bedroom with a poorly remodelled bathroom and the adjoining other small hotel room set up as a lounge/ kitchenette . Whilst the extra space was appreciated I would hate to have paid for this. The whole suite only had 2 small glasses in the bathroom no other utensils, plates cups or kitchen utensils yet they provide a microwave oven. The air conditioner is controlled by a movement sensor so you wake up and the room is hot because you don't activate the sensor. We booked being told that evening cocktails and nibbles are served in the top floor executive lounge only to find that you have to buy your drinks and the lounge has been moved to the basement which is very hot in the afternoon. I doubt they could find a more depressing area to locate the lounge. The pool here is very small and is always very windy with a cheap setup. Hawaii has become an overrated destination that is expensive for what it offers, whilst this review is of the Hilton we got the feeling that most of the hotels in Waikiki are old and run down with beachfront hotels appearing lay invaded by non guests using the beachfront eateries and facilities. Find another destination this place is a dump.

Room Tip: We had a high floor parlour suite DO NOT WASTE the money this is a small ocean view room .
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Misspiggy21
Aloha and thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay at our hotel. We appreciate your feedback, and we’re very sorry you were unhappy with the amenities in your guest room and the location of our lounge. Guest feedback is incredibly important to us. We are taking your comments into consideration as we take the steps necessary to make it right for you and our future guests. We hope to have another opportunity to serve you if your travels bring you back to our area.

Las Vegas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2014

We just returned from a 7 night stay at the Waikiki Beach Hotel. The staff was friendly, efficient and helpful. I called Concierge prior to my stay to ask questions regarding our 25th anniversary vow renewal and Debbie was very nice and helpful with information on purchasing lei's and hair salons. A nice surprise of strawberries and champagne showed up midway through our stay congratulating us on our anniversary! The hotel was very clean and modern. On our last night we enjoyed drinks in the lobby while listening to the band. Very nice evening for our family to enjoy together. If you don't mind walking about 1 mile to the main shopping and dining area in Waikiki, I would highly recommend this hotel. The beach directly in front of the hotel is excellent for families, especially if you have small children as there is a section that is blocked from the waves and makes a nice wading area or just floating on your rafts.

Room Tip: We wanted an ocean view room but needed something bigger for our kids and the only largers rooms ava...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
GM-HiltonWaikiki, General Manager at Hilton Waikiki Beach, responded to this review, 25 August 2014
Aloha and thank you very much for the review and five stars. Happy Anniversary once again, I am thrilled the entire trip turned out to be a splendid one. Mahalo

Pendleton, OR, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2014

My son, his wife, 2 of my grand children and my great grand daughter live in Hawaii and we wry to make a annual trip to Hawaii to see them. This was our first time at this hotel that provided for all our needs however could not provide adjoining rooms due to their capacity. I am a huge fan of Hilton and am a HHonors and Hilton Grand vacations member. To me Hilton sets the standards bar high and always delivers the best quality rooms and service for the price.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

GM-HiltonWaikiki, General Manager at Hilton Waikiki Beach, responded to this review, 20 August 2014
Aloha and thank you very much for the review about the recent stay with us. I do apologize that we were unable to accommodate you with adjoining rooms, we have been extremely busy this summer. I am thrilled to hear that you had a wonderful time visiting your family. We look forward to you return visit next year. Aloha and Mahalo

Manchester
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for one week at the end of July for our trip to Hawaii. The hotel is perfectly located for Waikiki and all of its attractions, tours, and resturaunts. The hotel is clean, tidy, and all the staff are very friendly and helpful. The rooms are enough for a weeks stay if you are like us and only use it to sleep and change in. If you intend to spend more time in your room / balcony I would suggest going for a suite etc.

All in all, a great hotel for the money. If you work in the travel industry, take an ID as this will entitle you to some discount within the hotel itself.

This hotel is the perfect base for you to visit everything on Oahu. The overnight parking is a bit pricy though and free in room Internet would be an added bonus.

We walked from the hotel upto diamond head to begin the trail to the top. The entrance to diamond head was around a 45 minute walk at a good pace. I will be reviewing all of the tours and resturaunts that we visited so feel free to check my other reviews over the next week.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Lifesabeach247
GM-HiltonWaikiki, General Manager at Hilton Waikiki Beach, responded to this review, 9 September 2014
Aloha and thank you very much for the review about your recent stay with us. I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed your time here and around Waikiki. Please visit us again some time soon. Mahalo