“Jail-like” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #74 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Seattle, Washington
“Jail-like”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2014

Even for a cheap Waikiki hotel, this one was baaaad. Besides the usual cheap Waikiki hotel mold and mildew, disgusting carpet, crumbling seams, atrocious workmanship, this hotel was disturbingly institutional-like. Of course no free internet, no microwave, vintage tube television, all white walls, no color, no art, sickening odor. On top of all that, the staff are flat out axxholes. I have not been treated that badly since I was in NYC. I stayed at five cheap Waikiki hotels and this was the worst. On the short positive side, polite Asians were the majority of guests/inmates, and a vibrant prostitution traffic in and out of the hotel spiced things up a little.

Room Tip: A higher room has a better view.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank e5454csc654
MaileSkyCourtHotel, Manager at Maile Sky Court, responded to this review, 14 April 2014
Aloha e5454csc654! I'm sorry to hear that we were unable to provide satisfactory accommodations for you at the Maile Sky Court Hotel. We value your opinion and I am extremely disappointed that we have lost your confidence with our staff and of our facilities. If you wish it discuss your experience further, please feel free to contact me direct. You may email me at talvaro@litehotels.com or via phone 808-947-2828.Thank you for sharing your concerns with us on TripAdvisor.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (212)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
Hamilton, New Zealand
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2014

A good choice for the budget concious who want to be in central waikiki. You are just a few blocks back from the beach and everything is walking distance. The 24 hour reception is great for late arrivals. They have security patrolling so you feel safe if travelling alone. Friendly, helpful staff too. The room is tired and bathroom small but if you are prepared for that you will find staying here ok.

Room Tip: The cheaper rooms don't have great views but are still ok
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Evisons
MaileSkyCourtHotel, Manager at Maile Sky Court, responded to this review, 11 April 2014
Aloha Evisions! I'm happy we were able to offer you an inexpensive alternative in a convenient location in Waikiki. Thank you for letting our TripAdvisor readers know of your experience at the Maile Sky Court Hotel. Your comments are greatly appreciated. Until next time, take care.
Honolulu
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2014

I chose the Maile Sky Court as a local looking for a home base for an evening out with friends in Waikiki on a Saturday night. I have stayed here before (20 years ago!) and not much has changed. The hotel room I booked was a city view on the 36th floor. Even though it faced the mountains, the view was extraordinary. I strongly recommend paying a premium for a high floor (as long as you don't mind the elevator ride). The room was small, but had everything I needed including morning coffee and a generous fridge. The bed was tired and the fixtures old, but the room was very clean and well air-conditioned. Water pressure was a luxurious, surprising plus and must mean the building was built prior to "green" standards. If you travel much, you know what I am talking about. Customer service was polite and cordial, if a little work-man-like. The Maile Sky Court is simply a solid, basic choice for accommodation in Waikiki, especially if you plan to spend most of your vacation outside your hotel room (which is exactly HOW you SHOULD spend your vacation in Hawaii). I would stay here again. Sadly, though I was solo on this outing, I have a child and *most* of the rooms will not reasonably accommodate a third person. Perfect for active couples, though. 10 minute walk to the beach (at most).

Room Tip: If you are tourist, especially a first time visitor, get a high floor and view of the ocean. You wi...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank hirunningman
Aloha hirunningman! Thank you very much for taking a moment to share your positive experience of the Maile Sky Court Hotel and for the extra tip for the first time visitor. I'm pleased that we were able to provide you with a great stay on a Saturday night. I agree that the view from the higher floors are extraordinary, no matter if it is facing the mountain or the ocean. Please think of us on your next evening out.
Auckland Region, New Zealand
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2014

Stayed here 2 nights in a ridiculously tiny room with 2 small single beds.
When checking in, I was asked to sign a waiver for any losses or theft unless I paid a fee to use the in-room safe! This made me feel unsafe, and made it seem like there was an ongoing theft problem, so I reluctantly accepted the charges, as I had an expensive camera, passports and a $4000 laptop with me. It is not as if hotel safes are actually secure enough to warrant charges. They can always be opened by their maintenance engineers, in case someone forgets their pin.
When checking out, I gave them my opinion on charging for the safe, and the rest of the mediocre accommodation. Thankfully they dropped the charge for the safe.
The air-conditioning was very noisy.
The room and the hallway leading to it smelled bad and damp, a bit like piss.
The TV was an old CRT type.
There was only wired broadband in the room - no wifi.
The windows had a strange foggy coating on it, and could be scratched when lightly pressing your fingernails on it, making the really hard to see out of. At the 19th floor it wasn't even worth a photo to say 'yay we're in Hawaii'.
The bathroom is tiny.
The front door of the room must be made of paper, as you can hear absolutely everything going on outside in the hallway.
Power sockets were difficult to get to.
Furniture and general decor was old.
I travel regularly, and have never been disappointed enough with a hotel to write a review.

But in spite of all this, the hotel location was good, the desk staff lady was friendly and helpful, and Hawaii was great!

Room Tip: Get a room in a different hotel.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank NZLouisD
Aloha NZLouisD! Please accept my sincere apology for your unpleasant experience. I'm embarrassed to hear that your stay was far from enjoyable. I would love the opportunity to discuss your concerns in person regarding our failure to provide acceptable accommodations at the Maile Sky Court Hotel. You may contact me at talvaro@litehotels.com or 808-947-2828. Thank you and hope to speak to you soon.

Travellers are raving about these Honolulu hotels

Lancaster, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2014

I'm an adamant traveler, and on this trip I really thought I died and went to hell. they promised us to queen size beds and later I found out that they don't even have any queens size beds in the stinking hotel. When we got there the first room was on the tenth floor, we went up to the room and immediately my son tripped on the carpet that was not stuck to the floor, and he fractured his wrist. immediately we back down to the front desk and the lady said they had no more rooms available until Monday, the Manager heard her and said oh I have a choice of 3 other rooms. So we took the room on the 41st floor, and we thought the higher the better. Yeah right, our view was a funky murky swap they call a canal. the roof on those surrounding places looked like murder scene. the room we were in the T.V. was from 1971 small it was a 12" cube and only 4 channels worked. The fridge was one of the first mini fridges ever made, and it was filthy and rusty. No microwave and the shower curtain was a bed sheet. the beds are half the size of a twin. If you have children or a weak stomach DON'T DO IT.......Noooooooooo

Room Tip: Please don't even take your animals there. don't even walk on that side of the street. Noooo...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank MissMissy544
Aloha MissMissy544! Thank you for informing us of your experience while at the Maile Sky Court Hotel. Please accept my sincere apology for everything you and your son went though while spending time in Waikiki. I am extremely disappointed and embarrassed that we left a horrible impression for you during your stay. Thank you for sharing your concerns and observations, as your feedback is very important to us. Please know that we take all concerns very seriously and will address your feedback with the Management Team to improve our facilities and the service of the entire team to better serve our guests. Thank you again.
Tampa, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2014

we expected a little more after having seen the pictures online, but after a couple of glitches, all of us had a good stay. The staff is very friendly, the rooms are clean and would be more comfortable, if the air flow wouldn't come right onto your face when sleeping. The location of the hotel is great, everything you need within walking distance. A little disappointed with the beaches though, we prefer the powder white soft sand on the beaches of the Gulf of Mexico in Florida, but we made do.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank BB1Tampa
Aloha BB1Tampa! I'm delighted to hear that your stay was pleasant, however disappointed that our beaches were less than favorable. I hope you were able to take home a memorable experience other wise. I also to hope to one day visit the Florida beaches to see what we are missing out here in Hawaii. Please think of us for your next vacation here in Waikiki. Thank you again.
Los Angeles
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2014

Location is key. It was convenient for walking around Waikiki and also very close to the beach. We had a room on the 30th floor and it had a partial view of the ocean, it was very clean albeit the old furniture and TV. But since we were only there for a short time and had planned to be outdoors most of the time, the room was a good enough space to sleep and keep our belongings. The bed was comfortable and we had a little old refrigerator, bathroom was always cleaned and we had no trouble at all. Parking was also very easy. All in all, I would definitely stay at this hotel again, and a major plus is that it's definitely one of the cheaper hotels in Waikiki.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Sue-ie
Aloha Sue-ie! It's been a pleasure to have served you while visiting the Maile Sky Court Hotel. Your positive comments about the cleanliness of the room, ease of parking and affordability of your stay are greatly appreciated. It's nice to know that we may see you again. Thank you very much!