“Great Location!”
Review of Park Shore Waikiki

Park Shore Waikiki
Ranked #21 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Reviewed 23 November 2013

This was my second stay at the Park Shore. 2010 we had an ocean view room. This trip just a standard room but top floor and still had great views. Pool was great, lots of room, chairs and umbrellas. Rooms have a mini fridge and coffee maker, microwave on third floor. The rooms are small but it's enough and the shower had great pressure. The hotels has towels and chairs for the guests take to the beach, which is steps away. Staff was great very friendly and rooms were clean. ABC store, StarBucks, LuLu's and Tucker and Bevvy all located at the hotel. The only down side is the homeless that seem to set up in front of the hotel/ ABC and Starbucks but seem harmless, just doesn't look ver good. Zoo across the street and the aquarium just minutes away as well.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank darcilynn
spauli, General Manager at Park Shore Waikiki, responded to this reviewResponded 25 November 2013

Aloha darcilynn,

Thank you for taking the time to write a nice review on your recent stay, and for returning again to Park Shore Waikiki. I am glad that you enjoyed our great location, the newly renovated Hotel Room. We are working on addressing the Waikiki homeless population with the City & County of Honolulu, and hope to have this resolved in the future. We hope to see you again soon and will ensure that you have another great stay with us.

Scott Pauli

Write a ReviewReviews (1,715)

Reviewed 23 November 2013

I have been to Waikiki six times over the years staying at the Outrigger Beach, Marriott and Sheraton) and my stay at the Park Shore was the best. Upon our arrival, a young lady welcomed us as we got out of the shuttle and she walked us to the reception desk although it was only a few feet away. Crystal at the front desk was awesome. I had made reservations for an ocean view room as I wanted both city and ocean views, not just ocean front views. It was late in the evening when we arrived and the hotel was booked. We were put in a very nice room but not quite what I wanted. The next day Crystal was able to move us to a room with a spectaular unobstructed view of Diamond Head and the ocean (room 1509). All but one of the employees appeared happy to be working there and projected that into our interaction. Crystal always made a point of not just smiling at us but would also call out to us when we walked through the lobby as if we were friends.The pool was located on the third floor which made for wonderful views of the ocean and the park across the street. My only recommendation would to have the pool area open in the evening. It would have been nice to sit around the pool in the evening and listen to the music either overhead or coming from LuLu's. I would highly recommend this hotel.

1  Thank TucsonTravelers02

Aloha TusconTravelers02,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your recent stay at Park Shore Waikiki. I am glad that you enjoyed our incredible service professionals, and will let Crystal and Desiree know of your positive comments. I am sorry that you were not happy with the view of your first room, and that we were able to move you to an Ocean View room that you did enjoy. Your recommendations to others is much appreciated. We look forward to having you stay with us again in the future, and we will ensure that you have another perfect stay with us.

Reviewed 23 November 2013

It was November 1969, exactly 44 years ago, when my wife and I got engaged at the Park Shore Hotel and we have not been back to Hawaii since. So when we decided to return this November we were happy and excited to know that the Park Shore was still operating but at the same time we were a little apprehensive about what time had done to this hotel as well as to Waikiki. Of course, our beautiful memories of the past were definitely colored by the fact that we were a young couple in love and everything was wonderful in this paradise like setting, including the Park Shore at that time. We remembered that staff as being very friendly ..,but what about now?? Now, when personal concern and kindness in general appear to be diminishing in this world we live in.

As soon as we arrived at the front entrance we were met by a happy and friendly young lady with a bright smile, named Desiree who sincerely welcomed us and then almost immediately Erik a gregarious, portly attendant arranged to care for our luggage. So far so good, but how would check in go with so many visitors at the busy desk? Would we just be another number? An exceptionally keen, considerate and alert Krystal quickly processed our information but also asked some tactful personal questions about us. When she learned how long it had been since we had last been here she immediately contacted the manager Scott Pauli. After a little discussion Scott proposed a beautiful upgrade for us to a one bedroom suite facing the ocean. Needless to say we were taken aback as we had not expected this and it was not something they needed to do. The room and view was fantastic! But this gesture did give us an idea of the spirit here. As far as the hotel was concerned, it has just recently been totally renovated so it feels fresh and clean . The location is still great next to the zoo and Diamond Head and a little quieter being just a little ways away from the noisy, bustling strip. However, on the negative side, the room doors are heavily weighted and slam shut with such a thunderous thud that can be heard almost throughout the building. Disturbing especially If you are light sleeper.

The Guest Service is super! Annie and David were not only thoughtful but very kind. They went out of their way to ensure that we were well cared for. In fact, Annie even gave us her own personal boogie board to use at the beach.

Not just that first day, but on each day of our stay all the staff that we had dealings with, including the housekeepers, willingly went out of their way to be helpful and shared many useful tips, including letting us know about cheap but good places to eat.

It was indeed enjoyable to be a part of this familylike atmosphere. And it speaks volumes when many of the staff say they have never worked for a better or kinder manager than Scott Pauli. He indeed has a big heart.

But one major negative change for us was to see the number of homeless (many drunk or drugged) sleeping and begging on the main street, some quite close to the hotel. Some are sleeping literally in the middle of the sidewalk and you need to make an effort not to stumble over them. This was disturbing and is a blight/shame on this beautiful part of the world. We were also sad to learn that the famous International Market will soon be torn down to be replaced by more high end shops.

But aside from that and a few other (progressive?) changes, we were delighted to be back again and especially to enjoy the warm, friendly and genuinely considerate hospitality of the staff at the Park Shore. Though this review may sound subjective, we did observe the same friendly helpful service shown toward the other guests as well.

We are glad we chose to stay here again (brought back some warm memories of 1969) and would heartily recommend the Park Shore to anyone who wants to stay at a clean, friendly hotel that won't break your budget.We would certainly come back here again but definitely before another 44 yrs goes by!
Mahalo
Reino

Room Tip: ocean view rooms are excellent!
1  Thank reinok2013

Aloha Reinok2013,

Thank you for taking the time to write a very nice and detailed review on your recent stay at Park Shore Waikiki. I am glad that you enjoyed your newly renovated 1-Bedroom Ocean Front Suite, our outstanding service professionals, and wonderful location that we offer. We are working with the City & County of Honolulu with the homeless population that is a problem throughout Waikiki and Honolulu. We hope that you are able to return sooner than 44 years from now. We will ensure that you have another memorable and pleasant stay with us.

Reviewed 21 November 2013

We stayed in an oceanfront room that had an amazing view of the beach and ocean and a bonus view of Diamondhead on the side of the balcony. I have included a photo that shows the ocean view from our balcony. It was amazing. The location of the hotel was great. It was away from all of the tourist trap shops, but you could easily walk to them if you wanted to. The room was small, but perfect for what we needed. The shower had great water pressure and temperature control. The housekeeping staff did an excellent job and the front desk was friendly. There are many shops, restaurants and bars within walking distance and the beach is right across the street. If I returned to Honolulu I would stay here again in the same ocean front room. I loved it.

Room Tip: Get an ocean front room. If you call and ask they can help you get one on the edge with a view of D...
1  Thank Lauren L
spauli, General Manager at Park Shore Waikiki, responded to this reviewResponded 22 November 2013

Aloha Lauren L,

Thank you for taking the time to write a very nice review on your recent stay at Park Shore Waikiki. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed the incredible views from your Ocean Front room, our outstanding location, and the wonderful service professionals. I hope that you are able to return again in the future. We will ensure that you have another perfect stay with us.

Reviewed 20 November 2013 via mobile

We enjoyed our stay here. Clean, updated, and good customer service. Best feature was the hospitality suite. When you checked out of your room you could use a hospitality suite with a shower and big-screen TV. This allowed us to enjoy the day at the beach and still shower before we got on our plane. Excellent free service.

Beach access was right there! Great restaurants and shops near by. We walked to Diamond Head (40 min) and took the city bus 23 back. The section of the beach was a bit dirty. We walked down to the Outrigger Hotel (10 min walk) and rented an umbrella and two chairs for $50.
It is a crowded, loud section of the Waikiki strip. However closing the patio door kept most of the noise out! not a luxury hotel but a good value.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Heather D

Aloha HeatherD,

Thank you for taking the time to write a nice review regarding your recent stay at Park Shore Waikiki. I am glad that you enjoyed your newly renovated guest room, our extraordinary service professionals, and our newlty created Hospitality Room for early arrivals and late departures. We hope that you decide to return again in the future, and we will enusre that you have another outstanding stay with us.

Reviewed 20 November 2013

I stayed at the Park Shore for two nights with my mother during the Okinawan Festival (Labor Day Weekend) so we wouldn't have to drive home each day after volunteering. The location was idea for this purpose since it was only a block away from Kapiolani Bandstand Park.

The rooms had everything we needed, including a good sized fridge and free newspaper. The room was recently refurbished and was clean and comfortable. The staff was very friendly and we had a very nice stay for a reasonable and affordable price.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family

Aloha OneRabbitt,

Thank you for taking the time to write a very nice review regarding your recent stay at Park Shore Waikiki. I am glad that you were nearby the Okinawan Festival and that you enjoyed our newly renovated guest rooms and our friendly service professionals. We hope that you decide to return again next year. We will ensure that you have another nice stay with us.

Reviewed 18 November 2013

I Did have an experience that was corrected immediately after reporting with front desk on day of checkin with the young lady at the front desk .On arriving and entering the room no 807. Room had a very strong smell of cigarette smoke and I therefore attempted to ventilate room by opening balcony and front door. The wind slammed the front door and shut me out of the room! Gratefully the young lady transferred me to room 1707 and I have to say was what I was expected as an ocean front room and what I was booked in for. Room 807 was not an ocean front as it was located in front of the pool.
During my stay I witnessed smoking on balconies which caused discomfort. Overall because of the room transfer I am satisfied with my stay but would like to make sure that the management check smokers more strictly and to advertise more accurately what are ocean front rooms at reservation.

Room Tip: Make sure yo get what you booked and paid for. An Ocean front or and ocean view.
3  Thank liberty3l
spauli, General Manager at Park Shore Waikiki, responded to this reviewResponded 19 November 2013

Aloha liberty31,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your recent stay at Park Shore Waikiki. I am sorry that your first Ocean Front room had a smoke smell in it. We are a non smoking property, that clearly is stated in many locations, and stated on the Registration Form that there will be a cleaning fee at check out if we identify the smoke smell and there is remedial cleaning required. If we find out that anyone is smoking on property we address the issue with them immediately. There are occasions when guest knowlingly break the rules and smoke inside their room, which makes it very difficult to identify at times. In his case we did identify the problem and addresed it with the previous guest. I'm sorry that there was still remnants of the smell remaining.

Due to the layout of the property it is also difficult to witness guests smoking on the lanais, especially if they are on the higher floors, and we rely on our guests and our Housekeeping Department to report the smoke smell right away, then we will investigate where it is coming from, and address the guests who are violating the rules.

As far as the category of Ocean Front goes. Our Ocean Front category on the '07 stack is all Ocean Front from the 7th floor and above, and has sweeping views of the Pacific Ocean and Diamond Head. We had moved you up 8 floors in the same location.

I am glad that we were able to resolve the issues of the first room, and can assure you that we do not have rooms that have smoke smell in them, and hope that you decide to return again in the future. We will ensure that you have a better stay on your next visit. Please reach out to me and inform me to let me know when you plan to return. I will ensure that you have a flawless stay.