Park Shore Waikiki
Hotels.com
US$418
US$332
1,842 results
All reviewshonolulu zoodiamond headacross the streetlulu's restaurantgreat locationocean frontabc storebeach towels and chairsfree shuttleother hotelspartial ocean viewvalet parkingstandard roompool deckkapiolani parkoceanfront roomhotel lobby
Reviewed 22 August 2014

The Park Shore was recommended to us by a friend on Kauai. We are so very glad we listened to his recommendation! The Park Shore was close enough to everything, yet far enough away from the crowds! The rooms were extremely comfortable, and the view of the ocean was simply amazing! The staff at the front desk were very courteous, and helpful, the concierge was too. The concierge also gave us helpful information about the best time/s to get to Pearl Harbour and also some good advice on places to eat close by. We will be staying here next time we visit Honolulu, and we will also be recommending this place to all our friends. Thank you Park Shore, you made our stay in Honolulu one to remember. :)

Room Tip: Go for a corner Ocean View room.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank AusTwo
spauli, General Manager at Park Shore Waikiki, responded to this reviewResponded 4 September 2014

Aloha AusTwo,

Thank you for taking the time to write a very nice review regarding your recent stay at Park Shore Waikiki. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed our great location at the end of Waikiki, the amazing views of the Pacific Ocean from your renovated Ocean View guest room, and our incredible service professionals. We appreciate your recommendations to others, and look forward to having you stay with us again in the future. We will ensure that you have another excellent stay with us.

Reviewed 22 August 2014

I am extremely disappointed with my stay in Park Shore Waikiki and I will not come back to this hotel. I would rather pay a bit of premium with big hotel chains like SPG and Marriott because you get better facilities and service from well-trained staff. I found this hotel online (booking.com and hotels.com) but made direct reservations in the hotel website although the price is $10 higher as reviewers commented you get a better chance of upgrade if you check-in directly with the hotel. The only reason I chose this hotel is because of its location (closer to quieter beach and the diamond head) and they claim that rooms are newly renovated.

I first booked a one night stay and booked two rooms (one for me and another one for my friend who is a resident of Hawaii and I'm visiting in Honolulu prior to flying to Maui). When I checked in, the guy at the check-in counter Erick was not very friendly and accommodating (which is so unexpected in Hawaii). I asked if the rooms could be right next to each other and he said the other room is at a different price point. Fair enough since I booked that in the hotel website which offers additional discount for Hawaii resident (since my. Friend is a resident of Hawaii); hence, it's at a different price point than the room I booked (an ocean view room).

Anyway, they put as close enough on the same floor (18th) so that was fine. We went up to our rooms as soon as we're checked in and none of the keys worked for BOTH rooms. We tried a few times and they did not work. So, here I am very tired from flying from NY and I had to go back down and ask of another set of keys. I went back up and the room keys still did not work for BOTH rooms. I was so tired (and my friend has two little kids) so I decided to just call the front desk on my cellphone because they have no hotel phones on the floor. They said they will send someone up but it took so long that we tried and tried the keys until the door for both rooms finally opened. When I went back down to ask why the room keys were not functioning properly, apparently the batteries of the door locks need replacement. If these staff people were trained properly, they should have already told us that as soon as we were given the keys so I did not have to waste my time going back and forth from the 18th floor.

On the facilities, while it is considered newly renovated, it seems not so newly renovated. The bathroom had rust on the drain and the carpet already looks not so clean. I got an amazing view on the ocean view room and that was the only thing I was happy about. The hotel lobby and floors have no air conditioning so it was really hot and I was sweating and feeling disgusting by the time I checked into my room. I have not read this point in prior reviews so would have been helpful to know that this hotel property is using fresh air than air conditioning. Therefore, it is a consideration during really hot weather, which was the case (89 deg) when I checked in. The pool is so basic and nothing attractive about it except the view of the ocean. Useful if you're tired of salt water from the beach.

Upon checking out, since my flight is at 5pm, I asked if I can keep one of the rooms for a late check out so me and my friend's kids can still enjoy the beach or swimming pool at the hotel and have a place to shower before I need to leave for the airport. Since I paid for two rooms, I thought they will be courteous enough to let me keep one of the rooms (even the cheaper room). The woman at the front desk (Leny) said late check out to 3pm costs $30. I agreed to it because I needed the room to shower. I have never been charged for late check out at SPG or Marriott hotels!

I was already disappointed with this hotel but I know after a few days in Maui, I will be back in this hotel with a friend. Since it's already too late to cancel and find another hotel within my friend's price range, I did not switch to a different hotel but would have liked to.

So, today I checked into this hotel again after 3 nights at the Sheraton Maui, which was a fantastic hotel! My friend and I was on an early flight (7:30am) from Maui to Oahu so I know it would be impossible to check in early but I was hoping especially since I got injured in Maui. We arrived at the hotel at 9:30 am and Leny (Uggh..) was at the check in counter. I was trying to be nice so nice and friendly even though I already had a not so nice experience with her before. I asked for an upgrade and she said with a smile that there's no Ocean view rooms as they are fully booked tomorrow (which is a Saturday). She gave me a partial ocean view on the 6th floor. I asked for a higher floor because I read from reviews that it's very noisy up to 7th floor because of delivery trucks and street noise but she said, again with a smile, that there are no other partial ocean view rooms. I asked if I can check in already and they said the room is not yet available as the customer has not checked out and may not be available until after 12 noon as that is their check out time. Meanwhile, I checked their website if I booked today and check in today and check out on Sunday and booked 3 rooms, there would have been 2 rooms with double beds (one standard and partial ocean view) and 3 rooms with Ocean view.

So, I'm extremely tired, injured (with an obvious bandage on my right ankle), limping and disappointed so I gave up on asking for anything because I'm not getting anywhere. I left and had breakfast with my friend. We came back at around 11:30 am and the room was still not available according to Leny. I wanted to go to Safeway to buy some groceries and Leny said it's only 15 minutes walk or take a bus at Marriott which is 2 minutes away on foot. She already saw me injured and limping so I just asked for a cab. Thank God I did not listen to her because it was actually a 10 minute cab ride.

I came back from Safeway at around 1 pm hoping the room is finally available but she said the customer just checked out. I said "I thought your check out time is 12 noon?" So she changed her story to the housekeeper is still cleaning the room. I sat down at the lobby feeling pissed and a couple walks in to check in. I then overheard Erick say to the couple "today is a good day because your room is ready, two double beds as you've requested" and he offered the warm towels to freshen up. I was fuming deep inside because I wanted a room with two double beds and I checked in with him before after a long flight and he has not offered warm towel to me and I checked in today early with Leny and she's not offered me a warm towel either. So, as soon as the couple left, I went up to Erick and Leny and asked them why the couple got checked in really fast while I'm waiting since 9:30am and why I have not been offered warm towel when I checked. I said do I have to be a certain nationality or ethnicity to get a decent service? And all Erick could muster was the couple was is a standard room and if I wanted some fresh towels. He obviously did not get my point and this boils to untrained staff or not conscientious, which is a stark contrast I got from Sheraton. Their price difference is not extremely more than Park Shore but the level of service is definitely different. I think I would stick to my SPG hotels since I do get the service that I pay for. On a separate note, while I was waiting in the lobby, a woman slipped because there was water on the floor and there was no sign. She was very upset because she hurt her knee. They gave her ice and made her file a written complaint. I heard her asking for some sort of compensation. I would do the same if that happened to me. Again, my point on the service level at this hotel.

I'm going to be here for the next two days but I'm done being nice since I don't get anywhere being nice to these people.

The only saving grace of this hotel is the amazing view if you get an ocean view room.

Room Tip: Choose a room in higher floors. Ice vending machine is on 7th floor. Not every floor.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
7  Thank Liz1023
spauli, General Manager at Park Shore Waikiki, responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2014

Aloha liz1023,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your recent stay at Park Shore Waikiki. I am very sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay with us. I do see that we were able to honor your request to be near your travel partner, and we were able to assign both of your rooms on the same floor. I am sorry for the inconvenience with the key cards not working properly. We did find out that one of our key encoders at the Front Desk was not working properly, thus creating the problem on the door lock. We have replaced this machine with a new one, and have resolved the problem. We did not experience any issues with the batteries of the door locks.

We have just completed an $11 million renovation in June 2013, and has greatly improved the quality of the hotel. We do have an open air Lobby and each of our Guest Room Corridors are also open air and are not air conditioned. We normally do not have an issue, but since we are in the late summer months, it is the hottest period of the year, and unfortunately our lovely trade winds were not blowing much due to some of the tropical storms that have been in and around the islands.

Our check out policy is 12noon, and we do offer complimentary late check outs up to 1pm, but then after 1pm, we charge $10 per hour up to 4pm to be able to stay in your room based upon availability. We also offer our complimentary Hospitality Room that is available for early check in and late check out. It is a very comfortable location, but I understand you did not want to utilize it.

Your comment that we showed availability on our web site for the night that you returned does not mean that they are available in the morning. It means that they will be available by our guaranteed 3pm check in time. We had guests that were departing that day, but the rooms were not available in the morning as the prior guests had still not departed. Also, our Partial Ocean View category is nearly fully committed on a daily basis, which makes this category more difficult to check in early to since they are occupied most of the time with guests that are departing by 12noon. I am sorry that we were not able to get you checked in right away. We also have many different categories, and the guests that had checked in ahead of you was due to them being in our Hotel Room category which does have more inventory and availability.

We do not discriminate to any of our guests and they are equally treated as the same. We do have many comments on how incredible our staff treats all of our guests, and it is well documented on this web site. I am very disappointed that you overall did not enjoy your stay, and we would like to make it up to you and show you that you can have an outstanding stay with us. Please contact me to get these issues resolved for you.

spauli@aquaresorts.com
808-921-7610

Reviewed 22 August 2014

It took three trips to Honolulu for me to realize that this is the ideal place for me to stay at Waikiki Beach. It's not lavish, but the price is reasonable and the location is ideal, right on the ocean and right at the end of the developed beach opposite the also scenic Honolulu Zoo, which I like very much. The rooms are fine even if in the interest of keeping costs down you choose one without an ocean view. Buying breakfast or takeaway lunch is a snap. There is a Starbucks and a great sandwich place right off the hotel lobby. The Starbucks opens very early in the morning when as I luckily discovered, not being a morning person, there is a lot of activity in the area with early risers up for jogging or surfing or some other appropriate challenge for that time of day. If you want a sitdown breakfast go to Lulu's off the second floor of the hotel, but Lulu's is kind of expensive so we did not do this often. Finally, the staff of the hotel were very nice and responsive. What more can you ask if you are on a budget.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank jack-1908
spauli, General Manager at Park Shore Waikiki, responded to this reviewResponded 27 August 2014

Aloha jack-1908,

Thank you for taking the time to write a nice review regarding your recent stay at Park Shore Waikiki. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed our great location across the street from the Honolulu Zoo, and also Waikiki Beach, that you were happy with the many dining options that are on property, and also our friendly and helpful service professionals. We hope that you are able to return again in the future, and we will ensure that you have another excellent stay with us.

Reviewed 22 August 2014

I was traveling for work and was looking for a place with a good location, and I found it. This place is right across the street for Waikiki beach, and was able to give me a good price. I will break down the review on a few key points.

1: Staff- The staff at the desk and valet were very friendly and professional. They would take the time to great me, and ask about my day in a way that felt much more friendly than professional. Three people that stood out as a highlight were Dylan , Violet and Averi. On top of being friendly all three of them were always willing to take the time for a brief chat, or recommending some great local places to eat or visit.

2: Location- Like I said earlier it is right off the beach, and by the Honolulu Zoo. All kinds of shopping and restaurants are with in walking distance as well as public transportation. This is a great bonus because the traffic here is horrible.

3: Room- The room I had was nothing special. It was comfortable but could have fit in almost any decent hotel any where in the world. The biggest downfall was the poor wifi. They had an option to increase the speed, but to be honest it was very over priced. I do a lot of work on my computer, and a bad connection can make even the simplest task feel like a chore. Although there is a big part of me that is telling me "why are you complaining about stuff that keeps you in your room when the beach is right across the road!??!"

All in all I really enjoyed my time there. Like most places I have stayed the room will be removed from my mind before my flight takes off, but the impact the staff had on me will be remembered, and I will be coming back.

Room Tip: The view from the east side rooms is outstanding.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank WTH-Man
spauli, General Manager at Park Shore Waikiki, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2014

Aloha WTH-Man,

Thank you for taking the time to write a nice review regarding your recent stay at Park Shore Waikiki. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed our incredible location, our outstanding service professionals, and the comfort of your guest room. I do recommend reserving the Ocean View and Ocean Front categories, as they have better than average views. I will be sure to let Dylan, Violet and Avery know of your positive comments, which are very much appreciated. We are excited that you will be returning again in the future, and we will ensure that you have another memorable stay with us.

Reviewed 20 August 2014

We traveled here for the March Break 2014! After a long flight, and very late check in, the staff was very helpful. They made us feel at home and were so friendly. We were given a complimentary box of chocolates at the front desk when we checked in also. The room was large, spacious and had an excellent view of Waikiki Beach. This hotel is located at the end of the Waikiki beach and wasn't as loud and busy as the rest of the Kalakaua Ave. hotels. The wifi access was great, the room was clean and the staff went out of their way to give us good advice for restaurants and local attractions. The only drawback was the valet parking. The price was not included in the room but was one of the cheaper valet options compared to the rest of the hotels on the street. There is an excellent sandwich/panini shop right beside the hotel that offered breakfast and lunch options. Ted's Burgers two doors down is a must try also. We would definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: Be sure to ask for a room facing the ocean.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Opal99

Aloha Opal99,

Thank you for taking the time to write a nice review regarding your stay with us last March at Park Shore Waikiki. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed the views of the Pacific Ocean from your renovated guest room, our friendly and helpful service professionals, and all of the nearby amenities that are offered. We are delighted that you will be returning again in the future, and we will ensure that you have another outstanding stay with us.