“Affordable”

OHANA Waikiki Malia by Outrigger
Ranked #47 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Reviewed 28 July 2014

This hotel is located about 2-3 blocks away from Waikiki. Needing updating but is in a good location. We had a room with 2 double beds but a little cramped for 4 people. Room had small fridge, coffee maker, iron and hairdryer. Very small balcony... barely for 2 people to stand. Only
has a lap pool but there was a big hot tub. You do have access to use the pools at the Ohana East or West.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Atepower32
NoraWeatherwax, General Manager at OHANA Waikiki Malia by Outrigger, responded to this reviewResponded 2 August 2014

Aloha Atepower32,

Thank you for submitting your review on Tripadvisor. We really appreciate the feedback we receive and use it to further improve the quality of our service. Please be assured that we are always looking for solutions to rectify our guests’ concerns.

Again, mahalo and aloha!

There are newer reviews for OHANA Waikiki Malia by Outrigger

Reviewed 27 July 2014

Overall our trip was pleasant. We stayed for 8 nights with 6 family members and 2 adjoining rooms. This was not the Ritz Carlton, by any means, but it was clean and the staff was very friendly and helpful. There was no wi-fi in the rooms. There was an ethernet cable, but no connection for USB. We had a room on the Ocean side, 10th floor so there was no noise except the banging of doors in the hallway. The bathroom was clean, but small. The shower curtain leaked all over the floor and out the door if more than one person showered (we had 3 adults in our room). It looks like this has happened for some time as the bottom inch of the bathroom door frame was rotted. Some softer toilet paper would be nice. There was a small refrigerator that almost got cold, but no microwave to warm up leftovers from restaurants. The A/C was fabulous and we actually had to turn it down. The guys turned theirs up and loved it. The price was very reasonable and we had an OK stay.

Room Tip: Stay above the 10th floor on the ocean side.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Debbi W

Aloha Debbi W,

Thank you for your review on Tripadvisor. We appreciate when our guests take the time to share their experiences with us. Like any other hotel, we have our share of challenges and we take it seriously when our guests points out some concerns. We are always on the look- out on how we can improve in these areas.

Please accept our sincere apologies for falling short in this instance. I do hope you give us another opportunity to serve you.

Reviewed 23 July 2014

We were staying here on our first two nights on Oahu before we went out to a beach house on the north shore for the duration of our time there. There are some things that I liked about this place a lot. The location is great - easy walk to wherever you want to go. They have a room type called One Bedroom Kitchenette which the set occupancy is 4 people meaning that you will not get charged additional fees for each person over the first two which is really hard to find. And the set up is just fine. There were eight of us so we only had to get two rooms. There is a big bed in a bedroom and out in the "living room" there are two twins. That is a great savings. The people at the desk were also very nice. There is a fun bar downstairs and an Ihop if you need something to eat quickly. There were some things that weren't great. It's not a fancy place and while the rooms were ok, they weren't particularly clean. There were some weird handprint marks all over the wall in our bedroom and you had the sense that really good cleanings didn't happen very often. But it wasn't the worst I've stayed in. The elevators were really bad. Scary even. And the system they have for beach towels was strange. It's great that they have them for you to check out, but you check them out at the front desk (sign a card). We did so and sent our kids off to the beach. When you are by the elevators, there is a box for towel return and so my kids threw them in there because that is what everyone was doing. But I was afraid that we were going to be charged for them because what's the point of the big signout if they don't record when you return them. So, I thought that was confusing and I just now realized I didn't look at my final bill to make sure I wasn't charged for the towels. The parking lot situation is pretty crazy. It is a really tight fit to get in and out of there. Also the little circle in front of the hotel is very busy and sometimes someone parks there so it is impossible to pull in and load people up. I see that some people have complained about the noise. That doesn't bother me. It is to be expected when you are staying in a place like Waikiki. Anyway, this place is in a great location and honestly, I'd stay here again. When we're on vacation in Hawaii, we aren't hanging out in our room. Everyone was very nice and it was affordable.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Ann M
NoraWeatherwax, General Manager at OHANA Waikiki Malia by Outrigger, responded to this reviewResponded 27 July 2014

Aloha Ann M,

Thank you for your comments on Tripadvisor. I am always pleased when our guests take the time to share their experiences, both positive and negative. Like any other hotel, we have our share of challenges and our guests’ feedback provides us with valuable insights regarding the quality of our service and facilities.

We are concerned that you felt our housekeeping service was inadequate. I have spoken to the manager in charge of this area to take appropriate measures to rectify the situation. Please accept our sincere apologies for falling short in this instance. On the other hand, I am happy to announce that we will be going through an elevator re-modernization at the end of this year and into 2015. This is something that has been long awaited for and we are excited to be able to upgrade our elevators. Parking can be challenging but we are always in the look out on how we can improve in this area. Judging from the rest of your comments, it looks like you had a great time in Hawaii.

Again, thank you for your feedback. We appreciate being able to explain and respond to your concerns.

Reviewed 5 July 2014

Other than location, this hotel has really nothing going for it. Wifi only in lobby, wired internet in room is slow, no business center, can only print from lobby computer which costs, elevators slow and force you to lobby. Only one of three elevators goes to parking. Parking garage is tiny and hard to maneuver vehicles. Parking costs $25 a day. Hotel needs to come out of the 90s and renovate.

• Stayed: July 2014
2  Thank Sweetbw
NoraWeatherwax, General Manager at OHANA Waikiki Malia by Outrigger, responded to this reviewResponded 9 July 2014

Aloha and thank you for submitting your review on Tripadvisor. Please accept our apologies for the inconvenience you incurred during your stay with us. We are now able to announce that we will be going through an elevator re-modernization at the end of this year and into 2015. This is something that has been long awaited for and we are excited to be able to upgrade our elevators. We do have four elevators of which two access our parking lot. We are also in the planning stages of adding WIFI to our guest rooms. Our parking garage can be challenging and we are always on the look-out on how we can improve in that area. Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate being able to explain and respond to your concerns.

Reviewed 5 July 2014 via mobile

My wife our son and I stayed here for one night 7/4/14.
I gave this place a low rating more on things that are outside the properties control like road noise and what not. But nonetheless it does effect if I'd stay here again (I would not) and so I wanted it to reflect that.
Where to start.
Noise. We stayed on the 6th floor room 605 and being 6 floors up does not insulate you from the street level noises. You can hear every word of every conversation taking place at 2am. Cars are constance. Maybe a much higher room would get you away from the road noise like in I the high teens but not sure.
Room. The room is fine sized for 3 adults. However the bed is very stiff. The bedroom has a queen. In the front room are 2 singles. The front room does insulate you from the street noise so if you must sleep in the front room it does help. However it does not insulate you from the coming and going of the early risers and the door slamming is loud.
Cleanliness. The room was decently clean however the bathroom has mild growing in it on the tile and ceiling. This I suspect is mainly do to the fact that there is no fan in the bathroom. The toilet is small by American standards. I think because the bathroom is small and this hotel seems to cater to Asians who are typically smaller people. For a 250lbs guy it's just too small. Therefor the shower is small, a single person only a 3
Foot by 3 foot basin. I'd say this hotel is 90% Asian occupants.
Parking. Parking is $25USD per day. You can come and go as much as you want. However the beach is just a 10 min walk if Waikiki beach is your thing.
Pay more money stay someplace else and you'll enjoy you stay much more.

Stayed: July 2014
4  Thank AruoraKode
Reviewed 27 June 2014 via mobile

Location is definitely the key. The room is not much to brag about- small specially the bathroom. Hotel parking garage is treacherous!!! Be careful. It's not conducive for big cars.
Although we line the location not sure if we want to return to the same hotel.

• Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank gammynoir
NoraWeatherwax, General Manager at OHANA Waikiki Malia by Outrigger, responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2014

Aloha Gammynoir,

Thank you for your review on trip Tripadvisor. We are pleased when our guests take the time to share their experiences both positive and negative. Yes, parking at our hotel can be challenging and we are always on the look-out on how we can improve in this area. You are a valuable guest to us. I do hope you will give us another opportunity to serve you.

Reviewed 20 June 2014

My arrival into Hawaii was greeted with warmth all the way. I had booked my accommodation online at the Malia for nine nights. The front desk staff were so friendly and was allowed to check in as my room was ready. The room had two double beds and was very spacious. Views on the 18 th floor to die for. This Hotel ticked all the boxes for me, safe, clean, affordable, location was a skip to the shops. free trolley pass to the biggest mall and i felt safe there. This has been my Visit #6 to Hawaii and i will return back to stay for my next Hawaii fix of fun in the sun. The Concierge was ever so helpful, Mahalo!!! Janine Macfarlane

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Chocolatebiscuits229
NoraWeatherwax, General Manager at OHANA Waikiki Malia by Outrigger, responded to this reviewResponded 4 July 2014

Aloha Ms. Macfarlane,

Thank you for submitting your review on Tripadvisor. We are always pleased when our guests share their experiences with us. We are glad that your expectations were met. Thank you for your kind remarks. It is always our goal to have our guests be satisfied with the services we provide and I can see you appreciated it so much.

Again, mahalo! We look forward to your next visit to Hawaii.

Aloha,