“Excellent Waikiki Hotel”

Luana Waikiki Hotel & Suites
Ranked #34 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Reviewed 17 August 2014

I booked a quick 6 day trip to Hawaii and I found this hotel with just 2 days notice.

This is an excellent hotel with great service and great rooms. It is located right at the start of Kalakaua Ave so it is close to all the restaurants and the beach as well.

The room was comfortable, and I had a fridge and kitchen as well. Bathroom was on the small side but not too bad. I had a great view of the ocean. The room was always serviced promptly in the mornings

The pool and gym were great, although a little disappointing that there is no pool bar and no umbrellas.

I want to pay particular compliment to Saori at reception who was able to get me a room straight away after my long flight and an upgrade with minimal fee.

Overall, a great hotel!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Gib O
Sunny C, Guest Relations Manager at Luana Waikiki Hotel & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2014

Aloha Gib O,

Thank you for a perfect 5-star review and mahalo for sharing your experience with us. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay and our services at the Luana. Thank you for commending our team and our guest service agent Saori.

Again, thank you for staying with the Luana! I look forward to your next visit with us.

Reviewed 16 August 2014

I booked this hotel based on reviews on Tripadvisor and we were not disappointed. The hotel is very well maintained, and clean. We had a studio kitchenette partial ocean view. You are far enough away from the ocean that I would not spend the extra dollars for the full ocean view. I actually like to cook while I am on vacation. I specifically like making breakfast so there is no rush to the morning. The kitchenette had everything we needed. I cooked every morning and then a few night when we were exhausted from touring all day. They provide you with coffee for the coffee pot every day. Dish washing liquid, salt and pepper which is very nice. Having the grilling area is a real plus as well if you want to cook.
The fitness center was excellent with lots of different equipment. Maybe because we were in Hawaii, but I was never in competition for any of the equipment. The pool was pretty small, but the beach was within a 5 minute walk, so it didn't seem to be a problem. The hotel as has chairs, beach towels, snorkel equipment and other beach items that you can borrow for the day. All you have to do is give them your room number. This was very helpful.There is also a laundry it you are there long enough and need to wash clothes. The beds were comfortable, however, we did not have a King bed, which we normally prefer. However, we both slept very well. The room also darkened very nicely, which is a big issue for me if it doesn't.
The elevators were slow and in the mornings you could not get to the pool to just sit out side to read until 9a. We came from the east coast of the USA and being on Eastern time, it would have been nice to be able to get out by the pool even if I couldn't get in. You do have to pay for parking. It is Valet and there are no other options. I would have preferred to have parked my own car. There is a $15.00 per day Hospitality Fee. I assume covers all the use of beach equipment, chairs, towels, etc.
Every person we encountered was extremely nice and very helpful. This hotel is in a very nice area, lots of shopping, restaurants, park and close to the beach. I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Don't pay extra for the full ocean view. Chose the partial ocean view instead.
1  Thank RSV58

Aloha RSV58,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. It is wonderful to hear that you enjoyed your vacation with the Luana and found the views, snorkel gear among the many services offered that complemented your stay. Thank you for staying with us!

Reviewed 14 August 2014

We stayed at the Luana Waikiki for 12 nights from 25 July until 06 August 2014.
We cannot express our sincere thanks to all staff there enough. Without exception everyone we spoke to on the staff were friendly, professional and would offer any assistance possible with a welcoming smile. The small touches such as morning coffee in the foyer, fruit water, a basket of books on the pool level and complimentary newspapers were greatly appreciated. Our room - 1415 was clean and very comfortable with a great view. We enjoyed the coffee in our room and the housekeeping staff were excellent. A small malfunction occurred with the television while we were there and the maintenance man was quick and efficient and the problem fixed immediately.
We will definitely recommend the Luana to our friends and look forward to our next visit.

3  Thank Paul A
Sunny C, Guest Relations Manager at Luana Waikiki Hotel & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 16 August 2014

Aloha Paul A,

Thank you for a perfect 5-star review and mahalo for sharing your experience with other travelers to see. It is wonderful to hear that you enjoyed your vacation with us. Thank you for staying with us and I look forward to your return visit.

Reviewed 13 August 2014

we stayed at various hotels ranging 4-5 star in our holiday in Hawaii and Vegas,Yet I would rate the Aqua as our most enjoyable hotel experience offering great value for money. The room was a little bit dated but spacious, clean and comfortable with a great view, walking distance to restaurants and shopping and the staff were exceptionally helpful and friendly. We would def stay there again

Room Tip: ask for a sea view room if possible, a little bit on the noisy side on the city view, lower levels
2  Thank skidgetgidget
Sunny C, Guest Relations Manager at Luana Waikiki Hotel & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2014

Aloha skidgetgidget,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. It is wonderful to hear that this is your most enjoyable hotel experience. We are always looking for ways to exceed guest expectations, from staff attentiveness to the new additions in signature amenities that we offer. Thank you for staying with us and I look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit.

Mahalo,
Guest Service Manager

Reviewed 12 August 2014

The location is just great. Easy walking to Waikiki, Beach, Ala Moana and convenience stores. Much quieter and friendlier than the centre of Waikiki. The staff are very friendly and helpful and the Hotel has a homely atmosphere. The room and facilities are very clean with frequent room servicing. The complementary bicycles and beach chairs for guests use was much appreciated. The view from partial ocean view rooms is a bonus. Complementary coffee in the lobby in the mornings was appreciated and may be it could be repeated in the evening. The rocking chairs at the front entrance are a great place to sit and watch the passing parade. Nice touch guys. We totally enjoyed our stay and would certainly stay again and will recommend the Luana to anyone we know heading that way. Good value for money. Just keep an eye on the maintenance guys and don't let the little things slip.

Room Tip: Go for the partial ocean view on floor 9 -16 because it's more than that it's an excellent v...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 72happy

Aloha 72happy,

Mahalo for sharing your experience with us. It is great to hear that you found our location convenient and near the beaches and shopping malls that you wanted to visit.

Thank you for your suggestions. You are right, it is the attention to detail that will make for a better presentation. Again, thank you for staying with us and I look forward to your next vacation with the Luana.

Reviewed 4 August 2014

We found this hotel to be comfortable and it provided lots of desirable amenities -- laundry, BBQ grills, balcony, kitchenette, spa, pool, valet parking. Convenient to shopping, the beach, and transit. Clean and classy! We loved the location ~ the view from our room, and the proximity to stores and restaurants. The staff was always friendly and helpful ~ enjoyed the rocking chairs out front ~ morning coffee and free news paper. The room had a well stocked kitchen which made it convenient to have breakfast right there ~ and we enjoyed that on our balcony. We truly loved our stay and would highly recommend it ~ a terrific value for the money!

Room Tip: Pay for the ocean view -- well worth it!
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Lynne G

Aloha Lynne G,

Thank you for a perfect 5-star review and Mahalo for sharing your experience for other travelers to read. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your vacation with us and found our kitchenette to complement your stay nicely. I am also happy to see that you were able to enjoy the various amenities that we provide here at the Luana. Thank you for staying with us.

Reviewed 4 August 2014

First impressions. We were greeted at the front desk by sunny smile of Ebony. Come to find out, Ebony's disposition was like the weather, sunny and pleasant. Ryan was the first bellhop encounter. Ryan is an authentic looking Hawaiian dude, with a wide grin and a very hospitable personality with very helpful advice. Gavin was the other bellhop,had quite disposition but with a warm smile. My favorite was the valet Abraham, he had a surfer dude air about him, but he had the uncanny ability to make you feel special. IF he did this for ordinary me I am sure this was just who he is. All the staff was personable, if you were on the elevator with the hotel staff you were greeted warmly. The facility amenities included beach chairs which beat renting any day, wish they had umbrellas too. The refreshing water in the lobby is something I looked forward to after my daily island explorations. The pool was a little small but the water was fabulous,they didn't overdue the chemicals. The grill is wonderful feature, however, there were lines to get to that bad boy, if you want to take advantage of this amenity start early. The room was nice overlooking the park. The weakest link would be house keeping, The tub wasn't clean daily and sometimes we received full compliment of towels and sometimes we didn't. But overall the experience was like the name Luana - enjoyable! Would I go back definitely!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Vannessa D

Aloha Vannessa D,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. It is wonderful to hear that our team provided the utmost attention and care to you and your family. Thank you for your concerns and suggestions as this will help us to improve the way we service our rooms.

Again, thank you for staying with us and I look forward to your next visit with us.

Mahalo,