I visited the Outrigger Luana in October of 2008 for business. We purchased a rental car and drove from Honolulu Intl to downtown Waikiki. If you are not familiar with the island, you can always take a taxi. H1 is the major highway that runs the majority of the island from the airport all the way to downtown Honolulu/Waikiki. It is the ONLY main artery to get you to and from so be prepared for heavy traffic especially in the mornings and mid-afternoon/ evenings.
When I visited, Outrigger had 3 other locations so be sure if you take a taxi to specify the Luana. If you rent a car, there is private parking available under the hotel for $15/day if you park yourself, $18/day to have it valet parked. The hotel is located on the main strip into downtown, Kapiolani Blvd, so it is easily accessible to many tourists attractions.
Check-in at the Luana was timely and conveniently located within the building. The front desk staff was very informative in regards to local activities. The majority of the Luana rooms/suites are actually condos/timeshares and are set up accordingly. Even the basic rooms had a small kitchenette in them (no stove) equipped with a mini-fridge, kitchen sink, and microwave. The appointments in the rooms were tropical mahogany woods and granite countertops. Depending on the location of the room, you either had a downtown or ocean view. The larger suites were fully equipped with a standard size fridge, oven/stove, micro, etc. The larger suites had a separate bedroom from the living area which included a couch, chairs, dinette table, and breakfast bar connected to the kitchen area. They also generally had two different views/balcony’s: a downtown view as well as an ocean one. (Mine was a corner unit so you had both directions). The rooms were very clean and well kept. There was a pool on the 5th floor (I believe) but it was not very large… however I never noticed it full or all of the chairs taken. There was a gym on the same level of the pool which offered various upgraded work-out equipment. The hotel also offered a grill area for guests to cook out and enjoy their food.
The hotel itself was located approximately 2-3 blocks north of the beach (depending on which way you went, a 5 to 10 minute walk). Adjacent to the hotel was a large green space called Ainahau Triangle where I ran every morning. There were always groups of people out doing yoga or tai chi in the morning. Also close by is Fort Derussy Beach Park. If you exit the front of the hotel and turn right, straight up Kapiolani Blvd is all of the high-end designer stores, shopping, eating, and activities you can imagine! There are various other resorts right on the beach which have sea-side dining. They offer (especially at sunset) magnificent views of the ocean as well as Diamond Head- but be prepared to wait. Some take reservations, however some do not.
So in conclusion, if you are looking for a first-class, on the ocean, resort- this is NOT that type of hotel. As previously stated, it is more catered toward longer stays vacationers and families who may eat out here and there but have to option to grocery shop and cook from their room as well. It is an optimal location for various activities and is priced very well for the amenities it offers.
Please feel free to contact me in regards to this hotel!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Luana Waikiki Hotel & Suites is a boutique hotel located just a short stroll to Waikiki Beach and international dining at the Waikiki Gateway. Choose from a variety of exceptionally comfortable accommodations with Hawaiian style decor, including studios with kitchenettes & spacious ocean view suites with full kitchens. Take advantage of our yoga classes, cool folding & cruise bikes to explore Oahu, and beach chairs & towels. With our daily hospitality fee, Luana Waikiki Hotel & Suites allows guests to enjoy many amenities without having to incur misc. charges. These services include DVDNow (Unlimited movies & PS3 games), Waikiki shuttle (complimentary Waikiki shuttle service), daily newspaper, in room coffee, in room safe, local & toll-free calls, and water in lobby. Enjoy the manager's reception on Mon, Wed & Friday from 5p-6p which features wine, cheese, and craft beer service, & live Hawaiian entertainment. Try our on-site restaurant, Fish Hook cafe for some local favorite dishes. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Travel Republic (UK), Expedia, Aqua-Aston Hospitality, LLC, Ctrip TA, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, 5viajes2012 S.L., HotelQuickly, Cancelon and getaroom.com so you can book your Luana Waikiki Hotel & Suites reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Outrigger Luana Waikiki Hotel Honolulu
- Outrigger Hotel Honolulu
- Outrigger Hotel Luana Waikiki
- Outrigger Honolulu
- Honolulu Outrigger
- Luana Waikiki Hotel & Suites Hawaii/Honolulu