“Awful customer service”

White Sands Hotel
Ranked #70 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
“Awful customer service”
Reviewed 14 March 2011

Paid over 100 dollars to stay in a dirty hotel room, but above all the management was terrible. No bathroom for me to use upon check in and the room was ready. Then they informed me I needed to put down a 500 dollar security deposit ( after paying for the room)! This proved to be money hungry management because when I asked to see this is there policy it was no where to be found. I was told t was a new rule, but no where was it written in the policy. Needless to say after an hour of them trying to get my 500 extra dollars they didn't make me pay it.

Also they are running a hostel out of this hotel!?

And there are women selling themselves on the street it's on.

Don't stay here.

• Stayed March 2011
1 Thank Yp2011

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (203)
  • Korean first
Alasla
Reviewed 12 October 2010

Stayed at White Sands for 6 nights in September 2010 and will stay again. This hotel is 4 stories high without an elevator. I stayed on the second floor with a room overlooking the pool area.

Pros:
- 4 blocks from Waikiki beach
- Large rooms with kitchen (fridge, 2-burner stove, sinkm 2-person dining table)
- Air conditioned
- Small pool w/BBQ area
- TV w/cable
- Fold out couch
- Coin-op laundry
- Cleaning service everyday. Never saw a bug
- No street noise
- Large lanai

Cons:
- Older hotel
- No elevator (but not a problem since we were on the 2nd floor)
- Smoke detector chirped in the hallway like it needed batteries replaced. Told the front desk but it was never fixed. Slept with earplugs.
- No bathtub (but nice walk in shower)

Overall we're very happy with the room. It's an oldie but goodie and the price was excellent. If we can get the same price in the future we'll be staying there again. It's on Nohonani between the International Market and the canal. It's a great location and we had no problem getting around. We took Robert's shuttle from the airport to the hotel (drop off at Ilima which is next door to the White Sands) and walked or took the Bus everywhere. If you need to rent a car there's an Enterprise across the street which is convenient for pick up and drop off but the prices are more expensive than if you had rented from the airport.

Tip - Pick up those tourist magazines, there are a lot of coupons in them.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
4 Thank organicgreenthumb
copley
Reviewed 6 October 2009

when we first arrived we were coming 4 a anniversery it almost turned into a divorce party..But as things went on they got nothing but better. The staff was a- Ok . First nite we got lost 4 3 Hrs. Thanx Briane could,nt have made it without/u you da man.And lady Catheryn girl u can really lay out a game plan. Arron truly the cooliest brother on th e beach And last But certainl not lease the Mayor George and the first lady megd. Much love Al and phyllis Akron,Ohio 4 sho Oh, YeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed November 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank phattal
SYDNEY
Reviewed 16 June 2009

About to plan our 4th trip to Celebrity Resort Waikiki, stayed 3 times in 2008. Just checked online and they don't appear to be operating under this name anymore, does anyone know if they are still operating?

Basic accommodation, but great value and fantastic location in the heart of Waikiki. Staff are great too.

• Stayed November 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SWIMMERS_SKIERS
World Citizen
Reviewed 13 April 2009

Celebrity Resort Waikiki

April 6-15, 2009. Room 327.

STOP! Unless you are staying at the Celebrity for free … and even then...don’t even think about it. I am at a loss as to why so many people give this place a decent rating. It’s run down and in serious need of a small, controlled fire. You can easily find other properties in Waikiki for the same price. Still not convinced? Read on.

Before I go any further, in agreement with some of the other reviews, I have to say that the staff here are great. The desk staff are generally happy and helpful and the room staff keep the rooms clean..and that is no small task given the condition of the things.

So…The Celebrity Resort is one of those quintessential 1950s-era block motels that you really want to like. The pics on their website show the décor and the prices (starting at $79/night for a studio) clue you into the fact that this place is not high-end and that’s fine. Honolulu is full of over-priced tower hotels so finding a small, cool motel in Waikiki would be great. However, the Celebrity is not it.

The website offers the following quote.. “Situated amongst the hustle and bustle of metropolis Waikiki, the resort maintains the ambiance of Hawaii as it used to be 40 years ago - where the surf, sun and sea lull you into a tropical euphoria.” Sounds great. You’re thinking Ernest Hemingway’s Hawaii and a lush plantation resort on the ocean, right? Ok, let me translate that into plain, brutally honest English for you. “Set back on a dirty street within walking distance of a bunch of crappy souvenir stores and cheap bars, but nowhere near close enough to hear or see the suff the resort, which has not been updated in 40 years –offers noise, odors and rundown interiors which send you into a catatonic state.”

We stayed in room 327 and 327a. These two rooms, a studio with kitchenette and a single hotel room have an adjoining door and are combined to make a 1 bedroom/ 2 bath suite though there is nothing sweet about it. Rooms 321-335 (odd numbers) on this side of the property face the street and they are both loud and not at all private. The garbage trucks (plural… I counted three) start about 6am and then it’s non-stop noise well into the night. However, if you’re into being an exhibitionist and fool enough to stay here…these rooms are perfect as no less than 100 apartments across the street have a clear view directly into these rooms and on the patios.

The beds and the furnishing in the rooms (at least 327 and 327a) are bad, thread-bare and stained. The bathrooms are outdated and the tile in the showers is cracked and perma-stained. The water pressure is quite good so there’s something positive. Both rooms have a separate AC unit to keep the place cool if you need to chill for a bit and they are loud enough to block out the traffic noise.

The kitchenette in the studio has a coffee pot, microwave, toaster oven, two burner stove top and a small mini-fridge. There are glasses, plates, knives and flatware. Not great stuff but it does the job if you want to stay in and cook something simple.

The common areas of the hotel are a little better but still outdated and generally borderline junk. Yes, there is a pool in the center courtyard and if you have small children they will think it’s great. The beach is about a 3-5 minute walk away and you end up beach front at the Royal Hawaiian. The front desk at the Celebrity will give you towels, beach mats, etc. Just ask.

I like to stay at a variety of places and I generally prefer to steer clear of the big name hotel chains as I traveled for business for a good 10 years and stayed in them too much. I like to find smaller, more hands-on hotels and motels that offer something out of the norm. But again, this place is not it. It’s just plain bad.

Do your homework. If you want to stay in Waikiki there are a number of other properties in the same price range that have invested in updating and offer good quality interiors and furnishings.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
5 Thank myvoiceofreason
USA
Reviewed 10 April 2009

The hotel is decent - we didn't expect anything more for the price we paid. The staff was friendly and the location is convenient to the city and Waikiki beach. We went on to another island and returned home 7 days after we left Celebrity Resort Waikiki. There was a message on my answering machine from Celebrity Resort which said we broke a lamp so they charged $55 to our credit card. I called the hotel, talked to Judy who was no longer friendly after I tried to explain to her that it might be a staff mistake because we didn't break anything. She said the charge is a done deal and I need to call the credit card company to dispute if I don't agree, then asked me to call back if I wanted to talk more because she had another call coming in. I understand that she has probably dealt with more of these phone calls than she'd like but she is in service industry, what happened to customers first? I wish Judy would put herself in my shoes to understand that a) no one likes to be accused of something they didn't do and b) it's okay to stay on the line to listen me (after all, I was the first caller) instead of brushing me off. I DO NOT recommend this hotel because of poor customer service after they got our money.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
5 Thank ljsolar
Ontario
Reviewed 5 April 2009

We stayed at the Celebrity in March for 8 days. We didn't get the room we had hoped for, but upon arrival accomodated us nicely and now we have a new favorite room! The place is very homey and comfortable. Close to everything and has everything you need close at hand. We have been here twice now and hope to come back again.

The staff are wonderful and accomodating and the hotel is kept wonderfully clean. Aaron is a real gem! Used the bbq, the hall computer, pool and laundry facilites. So much nicer than the high rise we stayed at before. We walked everywhere. I pray they don't tear this place down and build a high rise in its place.

God bless all of you may this place continue to thrive as it is.

Miriam- Toronto Canada