“Budget Hotel- Clean & Friendly”
Review of White Sands Hotel

White Sands Hotel
Ranked #70 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Makawao, Hawaii, United States
“Budget Hotel- Clean & Friendly”
Reviewed 29 May 2012

This was our first visit, and to my surprise it was the perfect accomodations for a basketball team. The staff
was outstanding, it fit our budget, very clean and a good location. Mahalo to Front Desk Christieann, Manager
Paul and Housekeeping very efficient and friendly... Very Ohana.... We are returning in July 2012. Upcountry Kings Basketball Team, Maui

1 Thank Earlette S
Aloha Earlette,
Mahalo for taking the time to write a review It was a pleasure to have your team here...I hope they did well! I'll be sure to share your comments with Christieann & the Housekeeping Staff. We do strive to make all of our guests feel like 'ohana, and I appreciate that you felt that. I look forward to seeing all of you next month.
Paul Dun - Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (201)
  • Korean first
Honolulu, Hawaii, United States
Reviewed 29 May 2012

The room was clean and the staff was great! There were locals and vistors there and will be returning soon.

1 Thank MicheleG808
Aloha Michele,
Thank you for your concise and positive review! We look forward to serving you again in the very near future.
Mahalo,
Sherbrooke, Canada
Reviewed 28 May 2012

We stayed at this hotel for 4 nights.
For the price,nothing to say:the room was clean,the service excellent and the persons at the front desk ( Christieann and Paul) were very friendly and helped us a lot for every questions we had.
Francine,Judth,Daniel and Bruno,from Sherbrooke Quebec Canada.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
Aloha Francine, Judith, Daniel & Bruno,
Thank you so much for your kind words about our little property. I hope we were able to make your short stay memorable! I appreciate the 'shout out' and will make sure Christieann sees it too. The entire staff hopes to host you again at White Sands in the near future.
Mahalo,
Santa Monica, California
Reviewed 28 May 2012

I was quite happy to stumble across White Sands Hotel. It has everything I need in a hotel. I like to feel at home when I travel but still have a few luxuries, like maid service and excellent customer service. The staff is very friendly and helpful and make you feel right at home. I felt like family by the time I left! The pool area is clean and very relaxing, with a beautiful waterfall flowing, surrounded by tranquil palm trees dancing in the breeze. Just across the street is lots of shopping from the Apple store to the International Market (my favorite place). A few more steps and your at Waikiki's famous aqua blue beach!
A big Mahalo to all the staff, Christienne, Ron, Paul, Christina and Esse! We miss you and hope to see you all soon!
-Janet and Damon

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank CookingJJsWay
Aloha Janet & Damon,
Mahalo for your wonderful review! We had such a wonderful time getting to know you both during your stay. I will give Christieann, Ron, Cristina, Ese & the rest of our staff your regards. We are definitely looking forward to your return.
Aliso Viejo, California
Reviewed 22 May 2012

I have to admit that I had very low expectations when I first booked my stay. I went with the best price I could find and figured it would be a run down place, but I was wrong! At check in, Ron was extremely helpful and friendly. He seemed interested in what we had going on and wanted to help. I was surprised by how spacious our room was. We ended up hanging in our room much more than we anticipated because we could relax, have some drinks, and enjoy getting ready for the busy day. Our balcony over looked trees and the hot tub, which was nice. I loved having the kitchen in the room. We made breakfast every morning, which saved us some money. It is so close to shopping, bars/clubs, and the beach! It is definitely in a party area, so if you're looking for a secluded, romantic get away, you may want to look elsewhere. You can definitely still have a romantic time, but the area was best for those wanting to get out and go! The only downside was parking, but that is with any place in Waikiki. Loved my stay and I would definitely return.

• Stayed May 2012
2 Thank sarawoertink
kekuwene, Manager at White Sands Hotel, responded to this review, 25 May 2012
Aloha Sara,
Mahahlo nui loa for your thoughtful review! I am so happy that you were 'surprised' by our little hotel and enjoyed your stay. I will be sure to pass along the great comment to Ron and will thank him for his service. All of us here at the White Sands look forward to your return!
Paul K. G. Dun
Hotel Manager - White Sands Hotel
Missoula
Reviewed 21 May 2012

White Sands is a 3 story walk up built in the 50's style.We have stayed there many times. It is now owned by Aqua and they are doing lots of needed upkeep. The staff is very good including the housekeepers, front desk, maintainence and Paul (the manager). AND--yes we are going back in 2013.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank John_Marlys
Aloha John_Marlys,
Mahalo for taking the time to write such a nice review. I am thrilled that you see the improvements we are trying to make and that you will be coming back again next year. Thank you for all of the kind words and we look forward to your return!
Hilo, Hawaii
Reviewed 19 May 2012

This is a small hotel on the back streets of Waikiki. I stayed there because they advertised parking for a fee and kitchenettes. There was no parking when I got there as their lot is tiny. They referred me to a private lot across the street. The ticket machine in that lot was not working so I had to park in another hotel lot on the next block that cost $25 per night. $25 per night parking is pretty standard for Waikiki. I went to use the kitchenette and found that every dinner plate in the cupboard had old food stuck too it which was disgusting. I picked up a water glass from the cupboard which was also filthy. They provided a kitchen cloth and dish towel but no detergent to clean the dishes. I would be afraid to eat off anything in those cupboards. I kicked off my shoes when I entered the room which is the Hawaiian style. After a few minutes I looked down at my socks and they were black. The floors were also very dirty. I took a cloth and wiped it across the light fixture in the bathroom it it came back full of dirt. The place is very dirty and I would not stay there again. I gave it a poor rather than terrible rating because the location is not bad and the front desk staff is very nice and really does try to help. My advice is pay a little more and stay somewhere else. I read several glowing reviews on TripAdvisor before booking. After seeing my room I checked the reviews again and noticed that many of them were written by people who had only ever done one review. This makes me wonder if they are reviews from real guests.

Room Tip: If you want a good room go somewhere else.
2 Thank Islandguy808
Aloha Islandguy808,
Mahalo for taking the time to post your thoughts about our property. Going through all of the 'glowing reviews' you mentioned is great as a manager, but we also learn from honest feedback such as yours.
Parking is definately an issue, especially when we are at a high occupancy as we have only 14 stalls to work with and the $25 price tag can be steep, but I appreciate that you said that it was pretty standard in Waikiki
Our entire team shares your concerns about the cleanliness of your dishes & floor. The Housekeeping Staff has been read your review to ensure that this doesn't happen again. We have also just begun 'deep cleaning' of all of the rooms which should be complete in 2-3 weeks.
We have been working hard to get as many departing guests as we can to post a review and give out 'Mahalo' cards upon checkout directing them to TripAdvisor.com, in particular.
I do appreciate that you were able to give us a slightly better score because of the the Front Desk Staff service. We, the entire staff and I, strive to give the best service to each guest and to make the most of their experience, every day.
Mahalo again for your review.