“Quaint Hotel, Location Convenient”
Review of White Sands Hotel

White Sands Hotel
Ranked #70 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Reviewed 10 September 2012

I was pleasantly surprised when I arrived at White Sands Hotel in Waikiki. It is a very well kept property and the staff is so accommodating and friendly. The rooms are a nice size with a kitchen. Sitting on my deck while sipping coffee, looking over the pool with the pleasant sounds of a rain forest, was my favorite thing to do each morning. The plants, flowers, trees, waterfalls and lovely birds surrounding the pool and hot tub was a very peaceful way to end the day. You seemed to forget that you are right in the middle of the city Waikiki, but when you exit the property you are in the the perfect location to walk to anything in Waikiki. I definitely will be returning to White Sands and highly recommend this Quaint affordable Hotel.

Room Tip: Pool facing rooms are the best
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank Cami Jo S
kekuwene, Manager at White Sands Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 September 2012

Aloha Cami Jo S,
Thank you so much for taking the time to review our property! I am so glad that you were pleasantly surprised by our property. I love the image you conveyed, enjoying the mornings on your lānai sipping coffee...that's the life! We hope to have you back at the White Sands Soon.
Mahalo,

Reviewed 8 September 2012

If you want to spend time in Honolulu and Waikiki and do not want to spend a lot of money this hotel might be right for you. Location is great. Hotel is very clean, and simple. Staff are very nice. The north east side of island has nicer beaches but traffic sucks:)

• Stayed: September 2012
1  Thank EOPS
kekuwene, Manager at White Sands Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 September 2012

Aloha EOPS,
Mahalo for making time to write a review. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay! Thank you for pointing out our location, clean rooms and friendly staff. It is very much appreciated. If you ever return to Waikīkī, please give us a call.

Reviewed 8 September 2012

I stayed at the property one night and it was one of the dirtiest hotels I have ever stayed at. I chose it based on all the "wonderful" reviews here and it was nothing like I expected. This was the end of trip which started in Honolulu and I stayed at another property that was in the same price range BUT so much nicer. (See Waikiki Sand Villa)
The hotel is older and everything had a worn look to it. That I can live with, BUT when there is grime in all the corners and surfaces than its just neglect. We kept our shoes on at all time, including in the shower. If it wasn’t for the fact that it was one night we would have left and gone somewhere else.
We were “upgraded” to a pool view. That was a laugh – the “pool view” actually gave us a sliver of the pool if we looked hard left and wonderful view of the residential property next door. AND as a bonus it is a three story walk up and the stairs overlook the alley where they stored all sorts of stuff.
The area was also a little questionable. I am use to a city environment and would not recommend the location for anyone who is not.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank njTravelJunkie222

Aloha njTravelJunkie222,
Mahalo for taking the time to post your thoughts of our property and including pictures to what you saw. I apologize for all of the problems you had with your room, especially the rug burns and grime you found. Though I do not recognize which room it in the pictures, I did read your review aloud at today's morning briefing, stressing the importance of communication and being thorough when attending rooms. I am sorry we were not able address and correct these problems with you in person, since you were only with us for one night, but I do hope you afford us another chance in the near future.

Reviewed 30 August 2012

I repeatedly go back to White Sands Hotel because the staff is ALWAYS kind and helpful, and the rooms are sized well, with kitchens. The pool is always maintained and sits in the middle of a tropical wonderland. Flowers and trees are always groomed. There is a well maintained hot tub, and a beautiful waterfall for peace of mind. They have a laundry room. Ask the people at the front desk about where to go or what to eat and they always show aloha in helping you. The rooms are cleaned daily and fresh towels are always ready for you. I cannot explain how great the front desk people are. Christianne, Christina, Ron, Josh are always smiling and want to help every guest. You can easily walk to the beach, the International Market, grocery store, restaurants or any other entertainment. They provide various kitchen cookware along with dishes and microwave (remember theres a stove too). The small refrigerator is just the right size to hold you groceries.

Do keep in mind and ask about the parking, because in Honolulu parking almost always costs. So don't be surprised when you have an additional charge if you request parking conveniently at the hotel.

The only thing I hated about the hotel was leaving. I wanted to stay.

Room Tip: Here is a good tip to find a good room, EVERY ROOM IS A GOOD ROOM.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Harvey M

Aloha Harvey M,
Thank you so much for the glowing review! You really touched on almost all of the points I like to highlight when talking about the property. I hope you were able to see the great new landscaping by the Mauka building that our owner did himself. It's pretty amazing. I thank you for acknowledging our staff. They are a great bunch of people and work hard to serve all of our guests. As for what you didn't like...we didn't want you to go either. Hurry back, we'll be overjoyed to have you again.
Me Ka Ha'aha'a,

Reviewed 30 August 2012

The “White Sands” hotel is just in the middle of Waikiki although in a very quiet street. It is not the Hilton but the quality/price ratio is excellent. It is kind of singular as it is not the usual tall buildings all over Waikiki. It is only a three-story hotel and it is full of trees and plants and it also has a small Japanese garden. Add to this that people at the reception desk are friendly and helpful, we would like to thank specially Cristina for her help and kindness, and the conclusion is that “White Sands” hotel is a very good choice if you go to Waikiki.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple

Aloha pujugua,
Mahalo for the great review! I am happy to hear that our quality/price ratio was excellent, and that you found our staff helfpul and friendly. Please know that we acknowledge that we are 'not the Hilton,' but are working towards it and strive everyday to offer personalized service with large doses of the aloha spirit. Cristina alerted me to your comment, and she was very humbled. We look forward to your next stay with us, which we hope is soon.
Mahalo Nui,

Reviewed 29 August 2012

It's one of a kind to be with during our long time planned vacation in this state and we were absolutely amazed in return of our expectations are well over it.The staffs are all helpful especially Kristina Hunt at the front desk she is well deserved to be in her post with all her smiles that gives us more relax to stay I guess that's what they call Aloha Spirit, where I can spread the word to all my friends and families that if ever they will be planning to visit Hawaii I would definitely recommend them Waikiki white sands hotel and I believe they will be smiling back home happily, I guaranty you that. Our experience of stay here is so much appreciated thanks to the managers of this property to hire good people to work for them.The pool is right there, jacuzzi and we can even set a party by the pool when some friends came by for a small get together drinking beers but we know our limits so it was really a good one. There's no restaurant inside but that's not a problem at all just take a short walk and we can find everything , so much to talk about, I can't ask for more, well be back again... Thank you so much

Room Tip: Just keep on searching online but If you guys are looking for something on the budget and right arou...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Su C

Aloha Su C,
Thank you for your review! It's always wonderful to hear about our guests' experience. Mahalo for recommending us to all of your friends. We hope to host them, and you, in the very near future.
Me Ke Aloha Pumehana,

Reviewed 23 August 2012

Thank you all for making our stay at your hotel so very nice! The rooms are clean with a nice kitchenette with everything needed to cook. We had balcony with pool view where we looked into a nice garden with plants and palm trees :)
My Daughter and I are so glad we choose this hotel while our stay on Waikiki for 2 weeks. I would really recommend this hotel to all families and couples :-)
Also the staff are great, all of them and especially Cristina who I will meet again when I will be back in January :-)

Helle from Norway

Room Tip: Room with garden and pool view!
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Helle M
kekuwene, Manager at White Sands Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 August 2012

Aloha Helle M,
Thank you for the review! I am happy to see you pointed out our kitchenette rooms and named us a great place to stay for families. We are in the process of doing more landscaping, so there will only be more awesome plants for you to see when you return in January. See you soon!
Mahalo,