“Ah, bliss, now looking forward to 2014”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of White Sands Hotel

White Sands Hotel
Ranked #69 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
San Francisco
“Ah, bliss, now looking forward to 2014”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 December 2013

This Thanksgiving time visit was even better than in years past. The waterfall covers the city noises, and koi swim around two fountains. Often at night, after a busy day, I would sit by the waterfall and just enjoy the water, the fish, and the tropical greenery. Yes, my room is always clean and comfortable, but the folks who work there make the White Sands a special place. Not brand new and super modern, but warm and friendly. I always feel the hospitality of a long ago Hawaii and am never ready to leave. Ellen

Room Tip: Ground floor near the pool for easy access and nice scenery.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank E-SFO
islandcolonyaqua, General Manager at White Sands Hotel, responded to this review, 12 December 2013
Aloha E-SFO Ellen,

Thank you for always choosing the White Sands for your hospitality needs. It was a pleasure having you as our valued guests. We are glad to see you take the time to write about your experiences with us on your vacation to Hawaii.

I am very happy to see that you complimented on our clean and comfortable room. You also mentioned that you enjoyed the waterfall, the fish and the greenery.

We truly appreciate the feedback and look forward to accommodating you next year. I personally thank you again for choosing Aqua Hotels & Resorts for your hospitality needs.

Mahalo Nui Loa
Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (201)
  • Korean first
Island of Hawaii, Hawaii
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 November 2013

74.00 a night is not a bad price for one night. The room was also clean and the decor was just like a 5 star hotel. Also having a microwave and a fridgerator was convenient. I'd stay there again BUT next time I'm bringing some ear plugs! I didn't get a good night's sleep because some thugs across the street were yelling at each other and playing their boom boxes at 3 am!

Room Tip: Ask for a room that's no where near Nohonani Street.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
4 Thank tanyujie
islandcolonyaqua, General Manager at White Sands Hotel, responded to this review, 23 November 2013
Aloha tanyujie,

Thank you for posting your review on Tripadvisor. We greatly value your feedback.

I am so happy to hear that you liked our clean room, décor, fridge, and microwave. And I am glad you mentioned that you would stay with us again.

I do apologize about the street noise that it made you not getting a good night sleep. Thank you for your suggestions to resolve the problem.

We appreciate your time in sharing your comments, and we look forward to accommodating you again in the near future.

White Sands Hotel
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2013

Aloha , we stayed at this little gem from the 22nd to the 30th.The hotel is close to all the happening spots in Honolulu for a fraction of the price.

The staff are very helpful and always go an extar mile from Atte Rosalind who made sure our "house " was cleaned every day,Blake at reception,Sister Christianne and the rest of the staff at the hotel.
Before booking a trip with the tours ;ask at the desk ; most of the trip-tours that were charging 50-60 to see the island could be done by a 2.50$ bus journey.
Mahalo Mahalo for taking care of us. We had the best holiday ; felt just like we were at home, we are already planning the trip for next year, sofia and shemi esq

Room Tip: Pool view is the best, they evn have a Barbaque you could use
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank sofia s
islandcolonyaqua, General Manager at White Sands Hotel, responded to this review, 13 November 2013
Aloha sofia s,

Mahalo for posting your comments on your recent experience on Tripadvisor, we truly appreciate your time in sharing your comments which will help us to improve our customer services.

I am so happy to hear that you complimented Blake, Christieann and Rosalinda who made you feel like home. I will recognize and acknowledge their efforts in providing excellent services to our valued guests.

You also mentioned you had the best holiday and enjoyed the bus journey. I am very pleased to hear that you are planning the trip for next year. Please contact me and I will update you about the Hawaii activities and hotel.

Thank you for always choosing White Sands, your “home sweet home” for your hospitality needs.

Burnaby, British Columbia, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 November 2013

I had a great experience at this hotel! If you are a high maintenance this place is not for you. There are no elevators in the hotel, If you are staying on the 2nd and 3rd floor you have to carry your luggage up the stairs yourself. We didnt mind.
This hotel is quite old but the price and location were wonderful. The furniture and the bedding was old but clean. The carpets in our room were clean. Our room was right above the front doors of the hotel so we heard everything from the bar next door and anyone on the street, but we did not mind we still got our sleep.If you were needing Wi-Fi to work well in your room, you will not find it. We love the back pool and the waterfall it was so relaxing. If your flight is booked for later then your checkout time they have a luggage room as well we had the pleasure of getting to use the towels and pool during this waiting period. The front desk also arranged for our shuttle to pick us up to get to the airport on time.The front desk staff Christeann and Jason were very kind and friendly. I will be using this hotel again in the future!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Francine O
islandcolonyaqua, General Manager at White Sands Hotel, responded to this review, 9 November 2013
Aloha Francine O,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your experiences. We at White Sands Hotel greatly value your feedback. Your comments are very important to us and will be used to improve our service.

The situation about the Wi-Fi, you are right, you can access in the lobby and pool area. We can also install a modem in the guestroom. Currently, we are in the process of upgrading our internet access.

I am glad to hear that you had a great experience with us and you enjoyed our pool area, waterfall, luggage room. I am also very pleased to hear that you complimented Jason and Christieann who were very kind and friendly to you. I will acknowledge and recognize their efforts in providing exceptional services to our Valued guest.

You mentioned that you would use us again in the future. On behalf of the White Sands team, we look forward to serving you on your next Hawaiian vacation. If I can be of any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Brooklyn, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2013

I have to say this hotel had mixed reviews, so I was a bit apprehensive. However my experience was wonderful. I loved my room #202, as soon as I opened my balcony , they waterfalls were right in front of me, and the sound was so relaxing.

I had a nice little kitchen, which was supplied with all the utensils( steak knife, butter knife, forks, spoons, wine opener, can opener). All sizes of plates including cereal plate, and tea cups. Two different size pans, and frying pan, where you can make omelets or anything else you need to fry.

All the workers there were friendly and helpful.

The only thing is in my bathroom there was a steep elevation to get to the shower, I really mean very steep. It was not a problem for me but might have been a problem for an elderly or obese person. There was hand railing to hold on to help you up. The only thing I would like to suggest, is that you add a sign "Please hold on to the railing when going up and coming down the shower." Just so no one forgets, otherwise its very easy to fall especially when you are wet after the shower. Another thing is I highly recommend a "do not disturb sign" for the door, most hotels have this sign and it is a big help when you don't want a maid knocking on your door when you are resting.

But I immensely enjoyed my stay at the White Sands, the location is perfect, the hotel atmosphere is cozy and friendly. I would not hesitate to stay here again when I come back.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Ellina5
islandcolonyaqua, General Manager at White Sands Hotel, responded to this review, 5 November 2013
Aloha Ellina5,
Thank you for taking the time to let us know of your experience at the White Sands Hotel.
I am glad that you enjoyed the room #202, the waterfall, and our perfect location, and you had an excellent stay with us.

I am pleased to hear that you complimented on our friendly and helpful team members, I will recognize and acknowledge their efforts in providing great services to our valued guests.

Your concern regarding the bathroom has been brought to the management team’s attention, and thank you for your suggestions.

Situation about the “Do Not Disturb” sign, we do have it for each room. I am sorry we did not have one for you during your stay.

Your comments are very important to us and will be used to improve our service. If you plan your next trip to Hawaii, please feel free to contact me. Thank you for choosing White Sands Hotel for your hospitality needs.

Vancouver, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 November 2013

We stayed here on the first lag of our honeymoon and the room we got was pretty disappointing; the walls were dirty, the furniture old and weathered and the florescent lighting was horrible. A fresh coat of paint, next bedding and better lighting and I'd have given this place 1 more point. The pool area was nice, however we had originally asked for a room with a pool view and we got a room with a view of the wall and a hallway to other suites - so people were constantly walking by which didn't make for much privacy. When I asked to move rooms the front desk did not make it very easy and I was given the ring-around so we opted to stay put - even though I know there were other empty rooms. There seemed to be a bit of a falseness to the good manners and kindness of the front desk, as we were only treated well after we checked out at which point we were asked to fill out a survey and told that we would get a nicer room the next time we stayed. So there is some obvious reward for loyalty here where returning guests seem to get the better rooms. The one staff member at the front forgot to book our shuttle to the airport after she talked us out of taking the city bus (which would have been much cheaper) and she never called the shuttle for us so we were stuck taking a very expensive cab ride. One positive was the manager was sympathetic to this and paid for half our cab ride. The location is great, so if you're not planning on spending a lot of time in your room and are on a budget - then this is a good option. One other warning - the walls are thin and we could hear our next door neighbor's television set pretty clearly.

Room Tip: Make sure when you ask for pool view that you actually get pool view.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Aloha TravelbugHugs,

Thank you for taking the time to write your experiences. I’d like to extend my sincerest apologies to you for your unpleasant experiences encountered at our hotel. I want to thank you for your observations. I am sorry to hear that we did not achieve your expectations.

Situation about the shuttle bus, it was out of our control. I went back to check our shuttle bus log, our guest services agent did book a shuttle for you. Unfortunately, the shuttle bus company mixed up the schedule and did not come to pick you up.

We at White Sands Hotel apologize for any inconvenience that you may have had while you were staying with us. I hope that your next holiday in Hawaii will not stop you from using one of our other Aqua properties. We do have boutique hotels and monogram hotels which are very nice. They are all newly renovated.

If I can be of any assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Boston, Massachusetts, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 November 2013

I booked this for the decent price and location, and that is what I got. It is clean, but old. The staff is very friendly. The room itself is very outdated. The bed covers look like they are from the 60's, and one has a burn mark.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
Aloha Stephanie Y,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience on your vacation. Your comments are very important to us and will be used to improve our service. I appreciate you mentioned our staff was friendly. I will pass this message to them. I am happy to hear that you liked our decent price and location.
When you plan to revisit us again, please feel free to contact me and I will update you about our hotel and Hawaii Events. Again, we appreciate your comments and thank you for staying with White Sands Hotel.