“I liked this place... a bit retro, but clean and reasonably priced for Waikiki”
Review of White Sands Hotel

White Sands Hotel
Ranked #71 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Jackson, NH
Reviewed 16 March 2014

I just stayed here for a week, March 4 to 11, and I was happy with the White Sands. I just read the review previous to mine, and I disagree with many things that reviewer said. Yes, the property is old, but clean.

There is no elevator but it's only 3 floors. It was likely built in the 1960's back when the whole neighborhood were all 3 stories and folks didn't complain about a couple of flights of stairs.

These older retro hotels are all disappearing fast, this is one of the few left that are not sterilized high-rise boxes hundreds of feet in the sky.
The previous reviewer mentioned there was no a/c, untrue, there is a/c (but not in the bathroom as he stated).

It's not totally quiet because it's located in a city, but I was never bothered by noise from the other rooms, because the walls/floor seemed to be concrete built. Outside noise came through open windows (which I had open to enjoy the tropical air), but with most rooms facing the pool, it was quieter than other places I've stayed that charged more.

This hotel is an oasis that is stuck between high rises, this hotel is the way it should be!

Rooms came with Kitchenettes, flat screen TV, 24 hours of complimentary wi-fi (only accessible in the lobby or pool area)... but damn, you're in Hawai'i and get off that device & have a blast!

Overall, the staff was great, the rooms were clean, my bed was comfortable, the week I was there, they had a tree-trimming company trimming trees for 3 days, so during the day it was a bit loud at times... but the maintenance only was a 3 day affair.

Come to Hawai'i, grab a cheap room (I paid $112/night + tax), reserved 4 days before arrival. I was happy with this place - it ain't the Ritz, but spend the extra money on fun stuff!

Room Tip: I think your better off facing the pool/fish pond.... it will be quieter!
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
8 Thank crazyguyonabike
islandcolonyaqua, General Manager at White Sands Hotel, responded to this review, 23 March 2014
Aloha Crazyguyonabike,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience on your vacation.

I appreciate your positive comments and defensed us against some reviews on tripadvisors.

I am so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and you were happy with White Sands.

Your comments are very important to us and will be used to improve our services to the valued guests.

Again, I appreciate your comments and thank you for staying with White Sands Hotel.

Hotel manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (203)
  • Korean first
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed 15 March 2014

We made this unfortunate selection through Hotwire after viewing the reviews on Trip Advisor.
Believe me, this place isn't close to a four star.
This dump was built back in the early 1960s and they have not spent any money to upgrade it.
The fact that this is a part of the Aqua hotel chain was another confusing issue for me. Aqua
hotels are known for good value with decent accommodations, and I've stayed at three of their
properties with no problems.
The property is completely open to the elements with no protection from street noises or weather. There's no sound proofing and no insulation. There are no views and the property
butts up against a huge parking garage.
The parking here is expensive and extremely limited.
The only in room Internet they have is expensive. They were too cheap to install wi-fi.
There were bugs in the room and the bathroom.
This is a three story property without an elevator!
The small mattress is old and lumpy and the pillow is too. The furniture is old, well used, and tacky.
There's no Air Conditioning in the bathroom, just two open windows. The shower stall is small and the commode runs constantly.
The lobby is hot and humid and has no AC, the pool is small and overcrowded.
There's mold in the shower, and the bathroom tissue is so cheap that it makes the
tissue from HNL airport seem luxurious.
The carpet is old, dirty, and worn out. The rooms are small and cramped.
They were charging $120 a night plus $20 in tax last Friday evening.
Shame on Aqua Hotels for taking advantage of the heated Hawaiian market, and not spending anything to improve this hovel.
The room clerks like Jason and Christina are friendly. Christy Ann was also helpful.
The people here is the only thing management got right.

Room Tip: Select any other hotel in Waikiki. I've stayed in 60% of Waikiki hotels since 1966, and this is...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank bobemac
Aloha bobemac,

Thank you for your feedback on your vacation. We greatly value your feedback. We are taking your concerns very seriously and are trying to improve our service to better accommodate our valued guests. I want to thank you for your observations. I am very sorry to hear that we did not achieve your expectations

You are right, we are not close to a four star. We ranked 4 points on Trip Advisor. We are a lite category (2 ½ star) that provides affordable, reasonable rates for guests that they want to share the beautiful Waikiki Beach. During your stay in Hawaii, it was still in our high season; therefore, the rates might be relatively higher than the low season or our shoulder months. .

I am very pleased to hear that you complimented on Jason, Cristina and Christieann who provided good services to our valued guests. I will acknowledge and recognize their efforts.

I am sorry you don’t like our hotel; however, I hope you will reconsider giving Aqua Hotels and Resorts another opportunity to show you other properties for your next trip to the paradise, we do have boutique hotels and monogram hotels which are very nice. They are all newly renovated.

Have a nice weekend

Perth, Australia
Reviewed 12 March 2014

This is a cheap option if you don't want beachfront Waikiki accommodation. It's pretty dated, a nice pool area but not too many other amenities.
The staff were friendly, helpful and patient. They provided us with a crib and bedding for the baby, and were helpful with transport ideas.
We stayed in the biggest room in the hotel apparently - a 1 bedroom suite with separate lounge/kitchen area with a double bed. The kitchen was old but well set up. The bed was comfy. The suite was on the ground floor right by the hotel entrance and street so a bit noisy and we didn't feel 100% safe.
Worthwhile if you want cheap, but if you have a few extra $$ I would consider going all out for a beachfront Waikiki experience.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Aloha workholiday,

Thank you for taking your valuable time to post the review of your recent stay with us on tripadvisor. I am happy to hear that you complimented on our friendly, helpful and patience staff.

Situation about the noise, being in the heart of Waikiki, there is a lot happening around us and we do apologize for the inconvenience. In the future, please let our guest services know of your situation, and we will be happy to find another room that meets your expectations.

Again, thank you for choosing White Sands Hotel for your hospitality needs.

Have a nice weekend

Ismaning
Reviewed 10 March 2014

Nice Hotel, very good value for the money. Staff reallY fantastic, if you go to Honolulu stay there!!! Very close to the beach, many channels to choose on TV, awesome pool! Free Wifi! Nothing else to say, strongly recommended! Go there u won't regret it!
Daniel

• Stayed March 2014
Aloha Daniel 1607,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your experiences with us on Tripadvisor. We truly value your feedback. It is helpful to have your feedback so that we continue to strive to improve the quality of your stay at our property.

I am very glad to hear that you mentioned our hotel is nice, good value, nice pool and you will highly recommend this place.

I am also very pleased to hear that you complimented on our staff who were fantastic. I will recognize their efforts in providing good services to our valued guests.

When you plan on your next Hawaii vacation, please feel free to contact me. I will update you about the hotel and the Hawaii events. Again, thank you for choosing White Sands for your hospitality needs.

Victoria, Canada
Reviewed 8 March 2014

We enjoyed our two weeks at this cosy hotel with exceptional caring staff. Uncrowded pool, lounge chairs under palm trees and the sound of the waterfall made it very special. Do we plan to stay there again -- you bet!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
islandcolonyaqua, General Manager at White Sands Hotel, responded to this review, 24 March 2014
Aloha Lorna,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your experiences with us on Tripadvisor. We at Aqua White Sands greatly value your feedback. I am so glad to hear that you complimented on our caring staff. And you liked our pool area, waterfall. You also mentioned that you would come back again.

When you plan your next trip to the paradise, please feel free to contact me . I will update you about the Hawaii events.

Your comments are very important to us and will be used to improve our service. Please join us again.

Ottawa
Reviewed 7 March 2014

We stayed at the White Sands for 1 week in February 2014. This hotel is excellent value. The location is great - a 5 minute walk from a super swimming beach on Waikiki, minutes from shops, restaurants and public transit. And the staff is wonderful - friendly, helpful, well-informed. The hotel has a very cozy vibe, not "mass produced". The wing we stayed in was quite dated (about early 80s, I would say) but it did the job and at any rate, it was immaculately clean. The bed was comfortable and kitchenette adequately stocked with plates, etc. Could've used a teapot...
Our only complaints were that they were a bit chintzy on shower soap (we ran out the last day) and although we always hung our towels to indicate we'd use again (green), most days they were changed.
We would stay there again.
Sharon Moren

Room Tip: Stay in the newer section (front desk building).
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
islandcolonyaqua, General Manager at White Sands Hotel, responded to this review, 25 March 2014
Aloha Sharoncina,

Thank you for posting your review on Tripadvisor. We greatly value your feedback.

I am so happy to hear that you complimented on our friendly, helpful staff. And you liked our comfortable bed and kitchenette. You enjoyed our excellent value and you mentioned that you would stay here again.

We appreciate your time in sharing your comments, and we look forward to accommodating you again in the near future.

Hotel manager
Prague, Czech Republic
Reviewed 6 March 2014

We spent almost one week in Honolulu in this hotel and there is nothing to complain about.
Actually we mainly used to hotel just for night sleep as whole day we were out on trips. Anyway we stayed in clean room with basicaly equiped kitchen, noisy air-condition and bathroom. Beside this the hotel has a great location - walk distance to Waikiki beach, or to shopping streets.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple