“Love the Celebrity Resort!!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of White Sands Hotel

White Sands Hotel
Ranked #68 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Chisago City, Minnesota
“Love the Celebrity Resort!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2009

As usual, our stay at the Celebrity was wonderful. Nice pool and hot tub. Very clean and attentive cheerful staff.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank trixi

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (198)
  • Korean first
saskatoon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2009

We stayed at the Celebrity from January 26th - Feb 16/2009
This hotel is perfect. It is very old but well kept. There are always people walking around picking up falling leaves and cleaning the pool.
There is no other place that I would stay in Waikiki. It is 3 floors max and no elevators to wait for.
All rooms come with a small kitchen that is perfect if you are wanting to save a few buck. There are also 2 gas BBQ's on site (which was awesome). The hot tub is perfect but the pool was a bit cold...never stopped my kids from jumping in.
They also have a computer to use there and coffee down stairs every morning from 7am to 10am. There is a laundry room there that has 2 washers & 2 dryers.
The staff was perfect..I have never been treated so good in all my life...

Would I stay here again...No questions about it....This is the best place to stay in Hawaii.
If you are expecting the Hilton, you will be dissapointed. But if you love beautiful grounds (Back yard feeling) you will love this place..

• Stayed January 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank alohaSaskatoon
Winnipeg
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 February 2009

I was a guest at the Celebrity for eight nights(Jan.21 to Jan 28,2009)
My review title includes " at home" and that is what it was like to be a guest at this great 'oasis' type accomodation.
The rooms are spacious,very clean with a great bed,kitchen,sofa and large bathroom.The property itself is very much like an oasis conventiently located to the beach,food and shoping.Minutes of walking to any of these locations.
The staff are exceptional. Friendly,helpful,courteous and extremely accomodatiing. I found it difficult to leave such a friendly atmosphere.
Its a must stay if you are travelling to Honolulu and want to be near the beach. A very safe area.
I highly recommend this exceptional property.

• Liked — The amazing staff
  • Disliked — No negative comments...it was great
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled solo
1 Thank George80
Auburn, WA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 February 2009

I stayed there from January 18-25. For me, the pros outweighed the cons. The hotel room was clean and the staff was really helpful for finding places to go out and eat, shop and do activities. By the way, check with them on what discounts the hotel gives for certain stores. You get an 11% discount at Macy's and found out about it after I had been there!

Whenever I go to a hotel, I have to use the pool and hot tub. I found both to be very clean and the hot tub was especially nice at night. Everyone was afraid to swim in the pool since it isn't heated, but I found a way around that. I went in the hot tub for about 15 minutes and then jumped in the pool. It was really refreshing. One of the nights, I did some night swimming. You get used to the water after about a minute.

Another thing that I liked about the hotel was the fact that the kitchenette was well stocked and we were able to go to sam's club and buy some rib eye steaks to make on the grill. You couldn't get a steak that size at a restaurant for the price we got ours at Sams!

One thing that's annoying is that you can only talk for 30 minutes per night long distance in the hotel rooms. If you need to talk longer, one of the staff members will tell you about this little mom&pop store that you can get a 5 dollar calling card from. It's way cheaper than the ones at the ABC stores (which are EVERYWHERE!). With my card, I was able to talk for 17 hours. That made me happy :-). When you walk out of the main entrance of the hotel, take a left and it should be on the left side. You'll walk past a bar and another hotel but it will be on the same block. You can't miss it.

Another downside that annoyed the living cr*p out of me was that the shower head is only about 5 feet from the floor of the shower so even most women will get really frustrated with trying to take a shower in any of the rooms. This might be a deal breaker for some people but I was willing to put up with the inconvenience. Although, I'm 5'9 and I was SO happy to get home and take a "tall person" shower.

Another downside to this place is the location. There is a bar right next to it and I think there are some other bars that are close to the hotel as well. The noise at night can get unbearable if you insist on leaving your window open. This is especially true if your room has a balcony facing the street. And if you don't have a time-share at this hotel, you won't know what room you'll get until you arrive with your luggage. At night, my dad insisted on leaving the window open :-(. At about 2am you'll hear lots of drunkards screaming their head off as they walk down the street. Believe me, you won't miss it. But wait! The noise isn't over yet! At about 6 in the morning, every morning, you'll hear a truck backing in to some hotel and it's the loudest beeping noise you'll ever hear. Believe me, if you're an early riser when you're on vacation, this 6am alarm won't fail you. BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP (x6)

The last thing that I'd like to point out is if you're not used to being in a warm climate and you think it might be a nice idea to take an evening walk since the air is warm and breezy, think about what safety precautions you would take in any major city. I was naive about it and decided to take a walk at 10pm in my shorts and t-shirt. It was 75 degrees and the breeze was going. When I was heading back to the hotel, I think I almost got jumped. I was walking down the same street (nohonani street) the the hotel was on and I glanced over and there was a Hawaiian guy across the street from me walking in the same direction as I was going. I glanced over and then he looked at me. Then I glanced again and he was still staring at me. The faster I walked, the faster he walked. Then I started walking across the street because that was where the hotel was and then he starts walking to the middle of the street like he wants to catch up with me. Then I started running to the hotel and I started cursing because it was that time of night where you need to stick your key into a slot to get the main hotel door open.

If you want to go out at night, ask a friend to go with you and keep your cellphone where you can reach it quickly. Also, start getting your room key out about a block before you get to the hotel. I think they close the doors at 9, but sometimes it's earlier than that. If you can, leave your ID and other important cards in the safe an only bring as much cash as you think you'll need. Another thing, the street by the canal is pretty deserted at night and I would stay away from their especially if you insist on walking alone. It sounds like simple advice but everyone overlooks tips like these sometime in their lives.

I hope I didn't scare too many people from staying at this hotel. If you can get over the noise, the low showers, and be very cautious when walking out at night, it's a good place to stay. The hotel is a 10 minute walk from Waikiki beach and it felt really good to get that exercise and not have to drive. Aside from the noise and the scary incident that happened to me that one night, I had a good time. And remember, check with staff if there are any discounts to the stores you'll be going to.

• Stayed January 2009
1 Thank brinethery
San Diego
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 January 2009

From the outside, it loooks like a cheap budget motel, but we were amazed as we walked through the lobby which opens up into a beautiful courtyard, with a smimming pool, jaccuzi, and waterfalls. You feel like you're in some hidden resort in the middle of the jungle. There is also 2 barbeques for the guests to use free of charge. (most hotels don't have any, or charge you per use.)

The rooms were average, but clean and spacious. We've stayed in other hotels in the area, that were half the size, but cost more. The courtyard view is based on availability, and can't be booked in advance, . They assign the rooms as you check in. If you're lucky, you can get a room facing the pool at no extra charge. If you don't get one, don't be disappointed. You will still enjoy your stay, and the staff are awesome.

We ended up getting a room with a city view, but it's only 10 feet to the pool, and the resort is only 5 minutes to the beach. In my opinion, you shouldn't come to Hawaii, and spend your entire day looking at the other guests in the pool, when you're a block from the beach anyway!

Brian and Aaron at the front desk were the best. Both were so friendly, and they helped us so much. They introduced us all the best restaurants and all of the hot spots to go at night.

They also have a great conceirge that can help you book the best luaus and dinner cruises, and they don't try to rip you offf, or upsell you on the higher ticket activities like some do.

The only disadvantage was the parking. They only have 12 stalls, which are always full, but they have alternate parking right across the street for the same price.

Overall, our stay was with a large grocery store just a block out the back gate. We would highly recommend the resort, and plan on staying again next time were were in town.

• Liked — All of the staff were the best!
  • Disliked — Parking is limited, but alternate parking is available across the street.
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ScottK1973
USA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 January 2009

Despite the fancy pictures on the corporate website - this property is in dire conditions. The desk staff and folks working there are very nice but that's where the nice stops. We did not know that this property is actually part of a time-share collection. If I paid time-share prices for a week here - I would be pissed off!

The "resort" is old and very run down. The furniture is used to the point of non-functional. There is no elevator, so be prepared to drag your luggage up 2-3 flights of stairs. The carpet in the rooms and halls are just gross.

Will not ever return to this hotel or recommend to others.

• Liked — Location was convenient but then everything in Waikiki is convenient - Oaho is an island
  • Disliked — The furniture and beds were terribly old - A/C barely worked - terrible place!
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank CaryBerry
Green Bay WI
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 December 2008

My boyfriend and I stayed at Celebrity Resorts for six nights in June. We were in the market for a Waikiki hotel that was budget-friendly and centrally located. We had also decided that since we were traveling so far, for such a short period of time, we were going to spend as much time out and about as we could - we didn't intend to spend a lot of time in a hotel room. Essentially, we were looking for a decent place to sleep and a safe place to store our things.

We were met at the front desk by Aaron and Joemar. I asked if they had a room on the courtyard side available. Aaron said they had one, but it was a smoking room. He offered to take me to see it before finalizing our transaction. I was afraid it was going to have a stale smoky smell, but much to my surprise, it was fine - no trace of smoke, and truthfully, I don't recall even having seen an ashtray in the room.

We have nothing to complain about our stay there. The front desk staff was friendly, the poolside pancake breakfast was fun, the concierge service was a plus - I can't remember the young lady's name, I want to say it was Kealia - I'm so sorry I can't remember the spelling - but she was so sweet, and so helpful in getting us tickets for a sunset catamaran cruise, and tickets for Pearl Harbor.

They have a small hut where they store pool toys and boogie boards - guests are welcome to take those boogie boards over to Waikiki Beach. On the Sunday we were there, we decided we were going to explore the beaches on the eastern coast, and in Kailua, we bought 2 boogie boards of our own. Since we knew we wouldn't be able to bring them back on the plane, we left them as a thank you to the staff for the awesome time we had there, and also in the hopes that other guests would have as much fun boogie boarding as we did.

We only had a car for 3 days of our trip, parking at the resort was unavailable, but parking garages are nearby, albeit rather expensive, and with time limits. One morning, my boyfriend was up at 5:00 AM in order to move the car to a different location. If you don't need a car, don't get one - public transportation is reliable, efficient and inexpensive.

If you're expecting the Ritz, you're going to be disappointed and I recommend you keep going, but, if you're looking for a safe, clean, reasonably priced place to stay, where the staff greets you by name, please try Celebrity Resorts. We'll definitely consider it again if we're fortunate enough to return.

• Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple