“Disappointed...”
Review of Salt Kitchen & Tasting Bar - CLOSED

Salt Kitchen & Tasting Bar
Price range: US$31 - US$50
Cuisines: American, Spanish
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: 12th Ave.
Rochester, NY
“Disappointed...”
Reviewed 12 February 2014

After all the hype, news articles, etc. my wife and I were really wanting to like this place. The menu sounded interesting, the reviews were overwhelmingly favorable. But we were really disappointed.
We arrived during happy hour so we looked forward to trying their advertised "draft selection"' unfortunately we were told there were no draft beers available. Although we arrived at 5:45 we were told two of the appetizers were not available. No problem, we went on to choose the oxtail empanadas, brown butter gnocchi and BBQ brisket. The good things were the server, Sarah, who was pleasant, helpful and attentive, the BBQ brisket was fabulous, really delicious. The bad, the empanadas tasted good but the pastry was tough, as if it had been overworked. The chutney with the empanadas was good but there wasn't much of it. The gnocchi was on the bland side and I'm convinced we're store bought. If they were house made, they were the densest house made gnocchi I've ever had.
We finished with the bread pudding desert, it was good but not exceptional.
For a place we wanted to like I was surprised to go away disappointed.

• Visited February 2014

San Francisco, California
“Fun and Delicious”
Reviewed 1 February 2014

Worth seeking out in non-touristy neighborhood. Great vibe and friendly staff. Like the Mission in SF but with a tropical flair. Grilled tako (octopus) starter was stunning. Main course of braised beef cheeks hit the spot. Good cocktails and decent wine list.

La Selva Beach CA
“Innovative cuisine, excellent service, vibrant atmosphere”
Reviewed 11 January 2014 via mobile

I traveled to Oahu from Maui with several recommendations to try Salt. Very glad I did! The beet salad was truly amazing. Rabbit fritter very good app. Fish special transformative!! My nephew ordered the chicken which arrive undercooked but the waitress response was perfect. Whisk it away and bring something else. Not the perfect restaurant for 16 year old non foodie actually...
I will absolutely return

Visited January 2014
roma
“Lovely friendly and trendy atmosphere”
Reviewed 9 January 2014

Great welcome and service, eccellent wine list and original cuisine. Highly reccomended either for dinner or just drinks and light meals

Kahului, Hawaii
“"If you like salt, this is the place!"”
Reviewed 2 January 2014

I found this restaurant online while perusing through the Top Ten new restaurants in Honolulu. I chose to make reservations at SALT Kitchen and Bar Tasting because the menu concept of salted, cured and pickled seemed interesting to try and it was an award winning eatery. It didn't disappoint. The atmosphere was casual and unpretentious. It had ample parking in the back. The menu consisted of items such as blistered shishito peppers, oxtail empanadas, chicken fried local rabbit and hearts of palm salad with seas asparagus, thai basil, pickled cucumbers and won ton flakes. The taste just burst in your mouth. It was indeed salty but, oh so flavorful! For my entree, I had the local flat iron steak with fried egg puree and grilled oyster mushrooms. Apparently, another favorite of its customers was the kulana burger. They had a diverse selection of cocktails from around the world with mixtures called smoking goat, flight to Mexico, Italian stallion, and deep six to name a few. The servers were attentive and explained the various dishes-its ingredients, where its was from and how it was prepared. The prices were also affordable. The location, being out of the hustle and bustle of Waikiki was also a plus. Overall, I would highly recommend this restaurant.