“BEST katsu I have ever had!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Tonkatsu Ginza Bairin
Ranked #149 of 2,327 Restaurants in Honolulu
Cuisines: Japanese, Asian
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
“BEST katsu I have ever had!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2014

We ate there twice during our 7 days stay on the island. The place will be packed in the evening! I lived in a city that has lots of Japanese restaurants, but I gotta say Bairin has the best katsu I have ever hard! Expensive though, expect $20 per person.

Visited May 2014

• Korean first
canberra
“Confused”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2014

My partner and our 4 teenaged children ate a nice meal here on our recent visit to Waikiki. We all love Japanese food, and this restaurant presented interesting and somewhat different food. After a short wait for a table, the maître 'd (later I learned he is the CEO of the establishment) greeted us.
However, at the end of the meal our server (waitress) explained to us that the obligatory 15% tip was routinely kept by management, not shared with the staff.
This shocked us, but not as much as when she asked for a further 15% tip for herself!
We complied, but the following day I re-visited to speak with management about this. The CEO was again on duty, was horrified by our experience, and promised to refund the excess charge to our credit card.
To my surprise and to his credit, he was true to his word.
Beware!

Visited April 2014
San Francisco, California
“Tonkatsu heaven!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2014

This is our 5th time visiting Tonkatsu Ginza Bairin and we're still big fans. My husband tried the loco moco tonkatsu special this time and I had their regular tonkatsu dish, both were delicious. Note to self, order a separate entree for the kids next time so I don't have to share my entree.

Visited April 2014
Seattle, Washington
“Better than Japan”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2014 via mobile

I had the mabo tofu special, which was so so, but everyone else in our party liked their food so I gave this place four stars instead of three. It is on the high side but the service is excellent and everyone, except me, thought their food was excellent. I would consider going here again but ordering something more traditional.

Visited February 2014
Litchfield Park, AZ
“Best Tonkatsu in Honolulu”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 January 2014

We love to come eat here. It is a little pricy but by far the best Tonkatsu in town. This is higher quality Pork (just perfect tenderness, fat, etc). We pay up for the BEST cut and it is well worth it.
Service is great too. The same staff has been there every time we go back. This restaurant is quite small and the BEST cut sells out sometimes, so get there early, go for lunch but go there.

• Visited July 2013