We stayed in Unit 2403, which was on the canal side, for a week mid-April, 2013. This was our first time staying in Honolulu so when we booked, we were not sure if we would be renting a car. We rented thru a vacation rental company and saw it offered free parking and wifi, the daily rate seemed good ($90/nite) and the pictures and description seemed like it was a good option. Upon arrival, we were very disappointed. I believe the building is from 1979 and our unit looks like nothing had been changed since then, except for maybe the bedding. The hair dryer only worked on one setting for the first day. After that, you needed to turn it on and off, again on one setting only, by pulling the plug. I did call them, mostly to inform them so I would not be charged for damage, and they did offer to replace it but I felt I could deal with it the way it was for the remainder of the week. Also, first day there we found 4 different remotes by the TV with no instructions. Finally had to call maintenance to figure out how to turn the TV on. We used the air conditioner the first nite but it was noisy and really didn't block out the noise from the street like we thought it would. Room was very boring, everything was either white or off white, curtains were very worn and torn, rug was coming apart at the seems and had some large stains, towel ring came off the wall and I repaired it, only one towel bar in bathroom (I suggested they put a 2nd one over the toilet), nothing to prevent slippling in the tub (I suggested a grab bar, especially for seniors). Little things like a refridgerator handle that wobbled and needed to be tightened, missing caps on the top of a chair, missing laminate on the bottom of a bathroom door, etc. showed this place was not well maintained. Overall, it seemed whoever owned this unit put the bare minimum in there and are just intent on raking in as much money for as long as they can without doing any reno. Don't imagine they have much repeat business. What we originally thought was a good deal for the money, wound up costing $999 for 7 nites which included the $120 exit cleaning fee which was a real joke. Unit barely looked clean when we arrived and some things looked like they had never been cleaned. Next time, I will go for a more expensive hotel room that offers much better amenities. You don't really need parking because the buses that are very close by take you just about anywhere you want to go. Also, we opted to use Go808Express.com to pick us up and return us to the airport for $25 each way for two people rather than the suggested Reliable Shuttle Co. which I heard should be renamed the "Unreliable Shuttle Co." We also found that we really didn't need to use the kitchen. You can get away with a unit that just has a mini-fridge and microwave as there are reasonable places to eat nearby, IHOP for one. Besides...you are on vacation!! Other units in this building may not be as bad and it is in a great location so if these little things don't bother you than this is the unit for you. We will not be repeat customers!!!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Location, Location, Location! Our Royal Kuhio spacious 1BR 1BA located in the heart of Waikiki directly across from the reknown Matteo's Italian Restaurant and Waikiki Trade Center. The Royal Hawaiian Shopping Center w/over 110 shops, restaurants and entertainment venues is only a two blocks away, and just beyond it is the famous Waikiki Beach. Our spacious rooms with partial ocean or mountain views come fully equipped with a complete kitchen. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, Agoda, Booking.com, Travel Republic (UK), Evoline ltd and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Royal Kuhio Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Royal Kuhio Hotel Honolulu
- Royal Kuhio Resort Hawaii/Honolulu