“I had some great times here”
Review of Stay Hotel Waikiki

Stay Hotel Waikiki
Ranked #68 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Reviewed 10 December 2013

The staff were friendly and always helpful.
I enjoyed my stay and my run in the Honolulu marathon
Thanks for everything i will be back again.
I was very thankful for the use of the beach mats and towels
Thanks again Tom K

Room Tip: higher floors less sound very quite at night
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Tom K
Earl N, General Manager at Stay Hotel Waikiki, responded to this reviewResponded 9 January 2014

Aloha Tom,

Thank you for sharing your comments. Glad to hear you enjoyed yourself with us. See you for the next marathon!

Reviewed 9 December 2013

DO NOT BOOK THIS HOTEL! I am not a picky traveller and do not need to stay in fancy places but I found this hotel just horrible. First of all, the pictures DO NOT look like they are on the website - they have been doctored or a very talented professional photographer took them. In my opinion, this is false advertising. Our room resembled a prison cell. It was on the second floor, very, very small, very, very dark and very, very noisy. There were no real windows - they were frosted panes of glass. The room contained one sad looking orange chair and no table, a double bed and a pull out sofa. No fridge, no coffee maker, no safes (safes are downstairs). The bathroom is so small you couldn't even move around in it. I found the room also lacked cleanliness. There was a cheap curtain covering the closet. I went downstairs and asked for a different room and they said at first they had one and then magically they didn't. I then asked if I were to check out early if I would be charged for the last night there and they said no. So I rebooked my flights to leave a day early because I couldn't imagine staying the four nights we were orginally booked. One of the reasons I had booked this room is because it said that there was a Playstation in every room (my son is a gamer). When we get there, no playstations. I had asked where they were and they said they were in the process of 'switching companies', whatever that means. They might want to post that information on their website in order to bring it to one's attention. I was surprised when I found out there was a $10 convenience fee which they said was on their website. I looked through the whole website and did not find any mention of paying an extra $10 a day - very deceptive business practices. The parking was posted as $20 and imagine my surprise when it was actually $25 AND oh, they didn't have parking onsite and that I would have to park half a block away in a public parking area. Really??? If you don't have ample parking onsite then maybe you can offer a discount! The continental 'buffet' was lacking and there was only milk for coffee and not cream. My mom and I had come in from the beach and twice there was no water in water jug in the lobby. The elevator was TERRIBLE (slow, closed on you after two seconds of opening) and I ended up just taking the stairs. When we first arrived there a bunch of drunk people, mostly locals, tumbled out of the the restaurant and were hanging out on the stairs to the lobby and smoking. One guy was so drunk he couldn't walk. If I were the front staff I would try to shoo these people away while new people are checking in. There is also no fitness centre and no pool. What hotel in Hawaii does not have a pool?? The only, and I mean the ONLY good thing about this hotel is that it is half a block from the beach. Next time I am paying extra to stay in a real hotel.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
5  Thank Lucy R
Earl N, General Manager at Stay Hotel Waikiki, responded to this reviewResponded 17 December 2013

Aloha Lucy,

Thank you for taking time to share your comments with us. I wish we could have met during your stay to figure out how to we could have made your stay more enjoyable or at least help you find more suitable accommodations. We are sorry to hear you didn't enjoy your experience with us, but hope that you were able to take home some fond memories of your island visit.

Reviewed 5 December 2013

My daughter and i went for 6 days everyone was so pleasant and helpful. We were able to do our sightseeing by local bus systems. Everyone local was friendly and ready to help. Our hotel room was always clean when we came back. The bar and restaurant had great food and drinks. Almost too good.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Earl N, General Manager at Stay Hotel Waikiki, responded to this reviewResponded 8 December 2013

Aloha Becky,

Thank you for taking time to share your comments with us. I am so happy to see you and your daughter had a good time at Stay. We are honored to have been a part of your hard earned vacation. Look forward to seeing you again in the near future.

Reviewed 4 December 2013

Checking in with Phyllis was awesome we arrived half an hour early and was able to check into our room .The ALOHA SPIRIT was definately here at STAY WAIKIKI. Our room was very clean and I love the location right in the heart of Waikiki,just steps away from everything.The best part of it all was the Continental Breakfast in the morning It was awesome. can't wait to return again.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Aloha Makoto,

Mahalo for your review. Glad to see Phyllis took care of you and that you found the Aloha Spirit alive and well at Stay! We look forward to hosting you again soon!

Reviewed 3 December 2013

This is my 9th trip to Oahu and I've been to many different hotels in Wakiki. I would say that Stay is an older, lightly renovated, no frills hotel. The pros: The staff is pleasant and helpful, they offer free use of boogie boards and straw mats for the beach, only 1 block from the beach, close to the bus lines, they offer a continental breakfast each day, they have a laundry onsite and the rooms have the basics of bed, bathroom and TV. The cons: the wi-fi system is not working/ non-existant, the hotel faces the street where all the tour buses park (lots of street noise), they have no in-room safes (you have to use the safe in the lobby) and the main elevator is possessed. If you are seeking an average hotel, in a central location, then the Stay hotel fits the bill for your travel needs.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ted g

Aloha Ted,

Thank you for your review. We appreciate your feedback. We are working on installing double pane windows to reduce street noise and looking into our elevator doors. Hope you had a great vacations!

Reviewed 28 November 2013

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Earl N, General Manager at Stay Hotel Waikiki, responded to this reviewResponded 3 December 2013

Reviewed 23 November 2013

This was the worst stay we've had in Waikiki and we've been here many times. We always stay at lower-priced hotels, usually further from the beach than this. We were attracted here by the location, the website photos, and the pricing which was shown as about 50% off the list of $ 220 or so. Having now stayed there we are reminded "if it sounds too good to be true it probably is" The room was extremely small, maybe 120 square feet as shown on the website but had a small dresser, no table or chair, so the suitcases went on the dresser and we sat on the bed, which was a mattress on particle board and sagged badly to the center. The room floor was sticky from something and generally dirty.
There was a light right outside the bathroom window and with no curtains on bath and half of bedroom it was like daylight or worse all night. In addition the windows were both very high and frosted so there was no view, city or otherwise. The breakfast was fair, watery juice and only milk for the coffee, but some decent pastries. Breakfast and Wi-Fi, along with a Honolulu paper are included in the $10 amenity fee..
Although the location is good the neighborhood isn't, especially at night, with questionable noisy neighbors and also busses running most of the time.
We did find the staff pleasant and friendly.

Room Tip: Go to a different hotel
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Cands2
Earl N, General Manager at Stay Hotel Waikiki, responded to this reviewResponded 26 November 2013

Aloha,

Thank you for your review. I am sorry to see you did not enjoy your stay with us. We are in the process of looking at different types of curtains to eliminate the light that comes through the bathroom window and also double pane windows to eliminate sound. Most of the floors were just polished and yours may not have been totally dry when you checked in and may have been the reason the floor was a little sticky. I apologize for that. All of our beds are just a few years old so it is surprising to hear they are sagging, but thank you for the comment, we will certainly look into this.

As you have stated, Stay has a good location and the price is right. The police station is a block away and that helps make the area pretty safe. I am sorry we did not live up to your expectation on this trip, but hope that you will give us another opportunity to gain your much valued patronage in the future.