“Affordable and in a great location with the necessities.”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Stay Hotel Waikiki

Stay Hotel Waikiki
Ranked #68 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Toronto, Canada
“Affordable and in a great location with the necessities.”
Reviewed 9 January 2014

I was a solo female traveller and found this hotel for a great price even compared to the hostels in Waikiki. I felt safe and the staff were very helpful with booking my airport transfers. The room was clean, had A/C and was a block away from Waikiki Beach and the main strip. I really liked the location since it was tucked away on a quieter street away from all the busy tourist areas, but still steps away from great restaurants and the famous beach.

My only (small) complaint was the Wi-Fi connection, which was dodgy inside my room. My business is online so this is important to me, but the connection was fine in the lobby and in the restaurant where I got most of my work done. The complimentary breakfast was pretty mediocre, but you'll find healthy and delicious options almost anywhere near the hotel.

For the price and location, I would recommend this hotel to anyone who doesn't need all the fancy amenities of the big expensive hotels and just needs a place to sleep after enjoying the outdoors and sunshine of Hawaii all day. I wouldn't stay here longer than 3 nights though.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank katgaskin

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (193)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
Canada
Reviewed 30 December 2013

Sad to say, but you can't expect much for $250 per night in Waikiki. The people working at Stay Hotel were very friendly and accommodating... but the facilities are just awful. We're talking about tiny, outdated rooms with very poorly equipped bathrooms, no amenities to speak of, and beds that are somehow smaller than a single. Add to this that the place is located next to some type of warehouse that fires up at 4:00 am - let's just say that the sound of backup alarms is a bit hard on sleep quality. Oh, and to top it off, the hotel charges a $10 per guest "amenity fee". That's a new one by me... but it doesn't seem to buy many amenities.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank anonymous1984
Earl N, General Manager at Stay Hotel Waikiki, responded to this review, 9 January 2014
Aloha!

Thank you for taking time to share your comments with us. We are sad to hear you did not enjoy your stay with us. In the coming months, our owners are working on installing double pane windows to eliminate the noise from the street. Our amenity fee is posted on all booking sites and features daily continental breakfast, use of our beach toys, Wi-Fi access outside the hotel, daily newspaper, and use of our computers and printer.

Mahalo again for your comment and time.

Earl

Travellers are raving about these Honolulu hotels

Lexington, South Carolina
Reviewed 30 December 2013

My boyfriend and I booked this hotel for our 10 day vacation. All of the pictures made the hotel seem like somewhere we'd like to call home for a week-and-a-half. I would not have minded staying 1 or 2 nights, but it is definitely not a hotel to stay in for more than that. Also, It wouldn't have been bad if it was just myself (I would have stayed the entire time if that was the case). The two of us together needed much more room to spread out than the rooms could accommodate for. The bathroom was tiny and I didn't feel like I had much privacy. The bed wasn't very comfortable and the tiny little air conditioning unit in the wall did not do a good job at cooling the room. The continental breakfast left much to be desired and we just ended up grabbing breakfast at McDonald's. Everyone there was super helpful and friendly. They didn't give us any problems when we decided to leave the next day. The location was great and the restaurant near the lobby was phenomenal. I think this is a great location for someone who is traveling solo or for a group of friends who are trying to save some money. It just didn't fit our needs and they do not deserve a completely bad review because of that.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Amanda V
Aloha Amanda,

Mahalo for sharing your review and choosing to stay with us. We are budget boutique hotel which means we are more intimate and cozy, not so much a larger property with large rooms. I am happy to hear the staff treated you well and enjoyed Sway, our restaurant + bar. They do have great food!

Thank you again for your time and we hope that you and your boyfriend took home many fond memories of your island visit.

Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 29 December 2013 via mobile

Stay Waikiki is a charming little hotel with a perfect location. Rooms were larger than I expected and very clean and quiet. The hotel is half a block away from the main beach and steps away from shopping and activities. The area seemed quite safe at night, I had no issues walking around at night. Only downsides- no microwave or fridge, and the continental breakfast was only served until 930am. Staff were friendly, and free wifi is always a plus. I will definitely be returning on my next visit to Honolulu

Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
Aloha Rebecca,

Mahalo for sharing your comments with us. We are thrilled to see that you enjoyed your experience with us during your recent visit. All of us look forward to hosting you in our home again in the near future.

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Reviewed 14 December 2013

Coming back to the US after being deployed, found this hotel online. Didn't expect much as it was just a place to sleep. Cheap, convenient location and cool staff. Darrin at the front desk gave us suggestions on clubs to check out. Friends and I was looking for a country kind of bar and he suggested Nashvilles. He gave other suggestions and they was also awesome. I wanted to stay an extra day so the morning of check-out I went to the front desk. Darrin was working and was able to extend me. This time my friends and I hit the beach. Just a 3 minute walk and they have beach towels and body boards to use for free. In all stay was good, no complaints. I've slept in tougher areas while being deployed.

Room Tip: Read other reviews, my suggestion:: if you are going to be CHEAP and grumble about the rooms when yo...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Aloha!

First of all, thank you for serving our country. We cannot tell you how happy we are to hear you enjoyed your time with us. Look forward to seeing you again on your next visit.

Be safe and thank you again for all you do.

Wainwright, Canada
Reviewed 10 December 2013

The staff were friendly and always helpful.
I enjoyed my stay and my run in the Honolulu marathon
Thanks for everything i will be back again.
I was very thankful for the use of the beach mats and towels
Thanks again Tom K

Room Tip: higher floors less sound very quite at night
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Tom K
Aloha Tom,

Thank you for sharing your comments. Glad to hear you enjoyed yourself with us. See you for the next marathon!

Coquitlam
Reviewed 9 December 2013

DO NOT BOOK THIS HOTEL! I am not a picky traveller and do not need to stay in fancy places but I found this hotel just horrible. First of all, the pictures DO NOT look like they are on the website - they have been doctored or a very talented professional photographer took them. In my opinion, this is false advertising. Our room resembled a prison cell. It was on the second floor, very, very small, very, very dark and very, very noisy. There were no real windows - they were frosted panes of glass. The room contained one sad looking orange chair and no table, a double bed and a pull out sofa. No fridge, no coffee maker, no safes (safes are downstairs). The bathroom is so small you couldn't even move around in it. I found the room also lacked cleanliness. There was a cheap curtain covering the closet. I went downstairs and asked for a different room and they said at first they had one and then magically they didn't. I then asked if I were to check out early if I would be charged for the last night there and they said no. So I rebooked my flights to leave a day early because I couldn't imagine staying the four nights we were orginally booked. One of the reasons I had booked this room is because it said that there was a Playstation in every room (my son is a gamer). When we get there, no playstations. I had asked where they were and they said they were in the process of 'switching companies', whatever that means. They might want to post that information on their website in order to bring it to one's attention. I was surprised when I found out there was a $10 convenience fee which they said was on their website. I looked through the whole website and did not find any mention of paying an extra $10 a day - very deceptive business practices. The parking was posted as $20 and imagine my surprise when it was actually $25 AND oh, they didn't have parking onsite and that I would have to park half a block away in a public parking area. Really??? If you don't have ample parking onsite then maybe you can offer a discount! The continental 'buffet' was lacking and there was only milk for coffee and not cream. My mom and I had come in from the beach and twice there was no water in water jug in the lobby. The elevator was TERRIBLE (slow, closed on you after two seconds of opening) and I ended up just taking the stairs. When we first arrived there a bunch of drunk people, mostly locals, tumbled out of the the restaurant and were hanging out on the stairs to the lobby and smoking. One guy was so drunk he couldn't walk. If I were the front staff I would try to shoo these people away while new people are checking in. There is also no fitness centre and no pool. What hotel in Hawaii does not have a pool?? The only, and I mean the ONLY good thing about this hotel is that it is half a block from the beach. Next time I am paying extra to stay in a real hotel.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
5 Thank Lucy R
Earl N, General Manager at Stay Hotel Waikiki, responded to this review, 17 December 2013
Aloha Lucy,

Thank you for taking time to share your comments with us. I wish we could have met during your stay to figure out how to we could have made your stay more enjoyable or at least help you find more suitable accommodations. We are sorry to hear you didn't enjoy your experience with us, but hope that you were able to take home some fond memories of your island visit.