“Pathetic hotel, 1 star at best”
Review of Stay Hotel Waikiki

Stay Hotel Waikiki
Ranked #68 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Palos Verdes Estates, California
“Pathetic hotel, 1 star at best”
Reviewed 21 January 2014

Dirty sheets upon check in, no soap or shampoo in the shower, I got a room with queen bed, in reality its double bed. How can they charge 146$ per night and have this lousy quality?

This hotel is PATHETIC

Room Tip: Get a national hotel chain, like Hilton, Marriot etc..
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank AHAHAC
Earl N, General Manager at Stay Hotel Waikiki, responded to this review, 11 April 2014
Aloha!

Please accept my sincere apology for the sheets. I have shared this with my Housekeeping manager and will use this feedback as a training tool. I wish I had the opportunity to have met you while you were here, so I could have made it right for you. Again, please accept my apology and feel free to contact me if you would like to discuss this further. Thank you for your valuable feedback.

Earl

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (200)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
Brentwood, California
Reviewed 20 January 2014

Our trip here was good. My husband and I came early for our family vacation and decided to stay here for the two extra days before we went to the Vacation Rental. We had a little problem with hair on the bed and we asked front desk for new sheets. They were great and wonderful to work with they upgraded our room and our stay was Amazing after that. The only thing I would change would be the floors, to me a rug would be nice cause the tile just looks and feels a litle dirty, so we just kept our flip flops on and it was good.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 10 January 2014

The staff was very helpful and nice. Nicest people in the world.

You can't find a better location than stay hotel. Walking distance to attractions in Waikiki. They have free beach stuffs like surfboard for you for free.

The only drawback, they have rooms with bunk bed. So if you are on your honeymoon, you might want to reconsider.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Freddy T
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 9 January 2014

I was a solo female traveller and found this hotel for a great price even compared to the hostels in Waikiki. I felt safe and the staff were very helpful with booking my airport transfers. The room was clean, had A/C and was a block away from Waikiki Beach and the main strip. I really liked the location since it was tucked away on a quieter street away from all the busy tourist areas, but still steps away from great restaurants and the famous beach.

My only (small) complaint was the Wi-Fi connection, which was dodgy inside my room. My business is online so this is important to me, but the connection was fine in the lobby and in the restaurant where I got most of my work done. The complimentary breakfast was pretty mediocre, but you'll find healthy and delicious options almost anywhere near the hotel.

For the price and location, I would recommend this hotel to anyone who doesn't need all the fancy amenities of the big expensive hotels and just needs a place to sleep after enjoying the outdoors and sunshine of Hawaii all day. I wouldn't stay here longer than 3 nights though.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank katgaskin
Canada
Reviewed 30 December 2013

Sad to say, but you can't expect much for $250 per night in Waikiki. The people working at Stay Hotel were very friendly and accommodating... but the facilities are just awful. We're talking about tiny, outdated rooms with very poorly equipped bathrooms, no amenities to speak of, and beds that are somehow smaller than a single. Add to this that the place is located next to some type of warehouse that fires up at 4:00 am - let's just say that the sound of backup alarms is a bit hard on sleep quality. Oh, and to top it off, the hotel charges a $10 per guest "amenity fee". That's a new one by me... but it doesn't seem to buy many amenities.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank anonymous1984
Earl N, General Manager at Stay Hotel Waikiki, responded to this review, 9 January 2014
Aloha!

Thank you for taking time to share your comments with us. We are sad to hear you did not enjoy your stay with us. In the coming months, our owners are working on installing double pane windows to eliminate the noise from the street. Our amenity fee is posted on all booking sites and features daily continental breakfast, use of our beach toys, Wi-Fi access outside the hotel, daily newspaper, and use of our computers and printer.

Mahalo again for your comment and time.

Earl

Travellers are raving about these Honolulu hotels

Lexington, South Carolina
Reviewed 30 December 2013

My boyfriend and I booked this hotel for our 10 day vacation. All of the pictures made the hotel seem like somewhere we'd like to call home for a week-and-a-half. I would not have minded staying 1 or 2 nights, but it is definitely not a hotel to stay in for more than that. Also, It wouldn't have been bad if it was just myself (I would have stayed the entire time if that was the case). The two of us together needed much more room to spread out than the rooms could accommodate for. The bathroom was tiny and I didn't feel like I had much privacy. The bed wasn't very comfortable and the tiny little air conditioning unit in the wall did not do a good job at cooling the room. The continental breakfast left much to be desired and we just ended up grabbing breakfast at McDonald's. Everyone there was super helpful and friendly. They didn't give us any problems when we decided to leave the next day. The location was great and the restaurant near the lobby was phenomenal. I think this is a great location for someone who is traveling solo or for a group of friends who are trying to save some money. It just didn't fit our needs and they do not deserve a completely bad review because of that.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Amanda V
Aloha Amanda,

Mahalo for sharing your review and choosing to stay with us. We are budget boutique hotel which means we are more intimate and cozy, not so much a larger property with large rooms. I am happy to hear the staff treated you well and enjoyed Sway, our restaurant + bar. They do have great food!

Thank you again for your time and we hope that you and your boyfriend took home many fond memories of your island visit.

Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 29 December 2013 via mobile

Stay Waikiki is a charming little hotel with a perfect location. Rooms were larger than I expected and very clean and quiet. The hotel is half a block away from the main beach and steps away from shopping and activities. The area seemed quite safe at night, I had no issues walking around at night. Only downsides- no microwave or fridge, and the continental breakfast was only served until 930am. Staff were friendly, and free wifi is always a plus. I will definitely be returning on my next visit to Honolulu

Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
Aloha Rebecca,

Mahalo for sharing your comments with us. We are thrilled to see that you enjoyed your experience with us during your recent visit. All of us look forward to hosting you in our home again in the near future.