“Fantastic value and location”
Review of Stay Hotel Waikiki

Stay Hotel Waikiki
Ranked #68 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Reviewed 16 May 2014

I spent a week at the Stay Hotel during a large convention. I spent a lot less than anyone else on my accommodation ($105 pn, plus the obligatory $10 amenity fee) and seemed a lot happier than most others! If you want cheap, cheerful and clean accommodation with super friendly staff, just one block from Waikiki Beach, then this is your place. If you're on a honeymoon, it's probably not the right choice (what do you expect for $105 in this location?!)

My room had AC, a comfortable bunk bed, spartan but functional furnishings, large flat-screen TVs, shower, tiled floor, and wifi, the latter covered by the amenity fee along with breakfast. (The advertised Waikiki-wide internet didn't materialise but was not a major issue.) The internet was at a reasonable speed (I've experienced much slower in some Hiltons). Cockroaches are an issue, but across the whole of Waikiki - everyone at the convention was complaining about them, even in hotel rooms at more than double the price. I gather that the hotel is installing new windows that may help to an extent.

The breakfast is basic but better than some reviews on here would have you believe. The coffee was actually pretty good. The hotel profiles free towels and beach accessories as you need them. The noise from adjacent hotels/service vehicles was not a problem at all, again contrary to what I had read in other reviews.

Overall, it's a budget hotel and great value, and a 5 on that basis. If you want luxury, then be prepared to pay $300+ pn.

Room Tip: I stayed on the 5th floor. Other reviewers say the lower floors are darker, which I can quite believ...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank nadwocean
Tom K, General Manager at Stay Hotel Waikiki, responded to this reviewResponded 23 May 2014

Aloha!

Thank you for your great review and we're happy to hear you had a great stay with us!

Please come see us again next time you're in town!

Reviewed 15 May 2014

Excellent location, friendly staff, good breakfast, difficult to have such quality for the price. They have beach stuff at the lobby and you can rent surf board just next door for a very good price. Ok our room was a bit noisy but we were able to sleep without difficulty. 240 square ft room was ok for our party of three.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 May 2014

This place is pretty run down, dirty, and small. It is located in the back alley between 2 apartment. In the early morning, you woke up to delivery trucks and tour buses. At night, the tenant at both apartment are loud. But the front desk people are awesome and very, very friendly. Its alright if you like the location. You cross 1 block and you are at Waikiki beach.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Sani1608
Reviewed 12 May 2014

Stayed here in early April in a room on the sixth floor. Little room, cute decor mostly Ikea furniture. Photos on their website was not the room that I stayed in. The second night I came back from a night out to find three cockroaches running around the floors and walls of my room. I informed the front desk the next morning, they said they would take care of it. Came back the next night only to find more cockroaches running around the walls of my room. I understand it is an older property, and having worked in hotel management myself before, I again kindly told the front desk to please investigate the problem. The clerk was very friendly and apologized for the problem. At the continental breakfast served downstairs I heard some other guests talking about finding bugs in their room as well. I then was offered to move to a room one floor up, to which they were painting the walkways and the smell was so strong I couldn't stand it. It was my last night and didn't want the hassle of finding a new hotel for one night, so I completed my stay. On checkout I informed the front desk of the bug problem, they waived the amenities fee which was appreciated, but they really need to get their bug problem under control.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank ocnat2
Reviewed 7 May 2014

When push came to shove, I wondered if I should be paying an extra $200 a night just to be located directly on the beach...but in the end, I decided I could walk a block to the beach, and stayed at Stay. It's FANTASTIC for the price--another couple shared the two bedroom suite with my boyfriend and me, and we found a GREAT prepaid deal that made it even cheaper.

The location is great, the staff was super cool, and we even enjoyed the bar--their prices were reasonable as well. It was a block from the beach so we loved that. Loved even more that each couple had their own bathroom--we don't expect that!

To me this place was hostel prices, but hotel living; the only possible exception being the floors are not carpeted, but with all the sand you're tracking in it's frankly better that way. Definitely loved this place for the price. Go go go and check out the Promo section of their website!

Room Tip: Go for the two-bedroom suite, it's cheaper to share!
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 April 2014

Not bad location for price and relatively easy to find. Excellent staff and great customer service. Close to shops and the beach. and easy to get to convention center with minimal traffic problems. Great for convention stay

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank James I
Reviewed 23 April 2014

Great budget hotel. Good location: minutes from the beach and the Main Street , clean: made up our room for us while we were out, friendly staff: helped us with any question we had. Don't expect large rooms, but ours did have a cute balcony with a decent view.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple