“Calm down... it's fine!”
Review of Stay Hotel Waikiki

Stay Hotel Waikiki
Ranked #68 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Reviewed 28 June 2014

Don't be put off by the naysayers. Stay is great and really good value for money.

Stayed at Stay Waikiki as a couple for three nights at the end of June. Was a tad apprehensive before we arrived as I'd read the mixed reviews. However I was pleasantly surprised. We stayed in room 706 which is a a queen standard room.

Our flight landed very early in the morning and we went to the hotel to drop our bags, already aware that we were way too early to check in. We returned about midday expecting to just hang out I the lounge area till 4pm but we're told our room was ready. I must mention Jasmine who works on the front desk, as she was incredibly helpful and friendly throughout our stay.

Room itself was simple (this clearly isn't the Ritz) but had everything it needed. We had a balcony with partial sea views. Bed was comfortable, bathroom a good size with a full size bath. All of it was clean on arrival and the daily maid service was great. Flat screen TV, iPod Dock and excellent air con, which I didn't find particularly noisy despite other reviewers saying so.

I had no trouble sleeping there at all due to noise, but should mention that the Sway Restaurant/bar was closed for renovation whilst we were there, so this may contribute to night time noise at other times.

The location of Stay is amazing. Just a hop skip and a jump to Waikiki beach front.

The breakfast was average and that's the best I can say about it. Not bad but not good.

The free wifi and media centre were really great, and we had no problems connecting to the wifi even up on the 7th floor

All in all it's great value for the money you pay. If you want luxury then go to the Royal Hawaiian and stay there. And look at you room. A lot. Because you probably won't have the money to do anything else!

6  Thank XtinaBlizabeth

Reviewed 26 June 2014

I was not prepared for how small this room was however it had a nice size lanai. It was like 1/2 a hotel room. The front desk staff was very nice. In the first 20 minutes of being in the room I killed over 20 cockroaches. They were on the floor, on the curtains, on the walls, in the shower, on and in the dresser, in the closet. I live in Hawaii and am used to these pests at my own house however the sheer number of them out in the open in this small room was creepy. We had trouble sleeping because we had cockroaches even on the bed.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank shl74
Reviewed 20 June 2014

Don't let the poor reviews deter/scare you. You will not find a more cost-efficient hotel in Waikiki. The bed was comfy, the staff was amazing, the breakfast is decent, and you are ONE BLOCK from the beach. I had friends staying in hotels on the beach, paying $400 a night for a tiny room. With my Hotwire discount, I paid 1/4 of that, including the amenity fee, for a large queen room with a small balcony. And it comes with really delicious mini croissants in the morning (are those from Costco, or what?).

Let me address some of the complaints from other reviews:

--Room size: Mine was great, but anyone complaining about a small room: go outside, you're in Hawaii.

--Cockroaches: Apparently my boyfriend did see one cockroach in the bathroom. That being said, I saw one at a Starbucks, a couple on the beach, and one in the driveway of a very swanky hotel. It is what it is.

--Noise: I didn't notice any noise, but I live in a very busy part of a large city most of the year. And there is noise everywhere in Waikiki anyway.

--A/C: It doesn't matter where you stay, the A/C is "inadequate." It's comfortable for sleeping and lounging, but you're going to need to let your hair air dry (though, they have GREAT hair dryers for a hotel). The swanky hotels' rooms feel just as hot when you're getting ready. If you want cooler, go to a different part of Hawaii.

--Breakfast: As you know, I really enjoyed the mini croissants. And the yogurt was good. If it's not enough, take some of that money you saved and go to the ABC store.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor if possible. They're very accommodating.
5  Thank KB2585
Tom K, General Manager at Stay Hotel Waikiki, responded to this reviewResponded 24 June 2014

Aloha,

I just wanted to take a minute to thank you for your nice review and kind words! We're very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward to see you again in the near future!

To answer your question about the croissants, they're not from costco we actually get them from a local bakery here in Hawai'i.

See you again soon!

Gerneral Manager

Reviewed 20 June 2014

The hotel looks NOTHING like the pictures. The rooms are not safe. There is no lockable windows, their is no lighting, parking $25 a day!, elevator is crap that shuts with no warning and very fast! Dangerous!

The bathroom is TINY! The shower is the size of a shoe box!

There is no sound proofing so you will expect a very early morning wake up call from the tour buses!

There is loud noises ALL night long from the hostels surrounding the building.

The apartments are very dated and quiet dirty!
The cleaners don't actually clean and the aircon will keep you awake all night long with how old and noisy it is!

4 people also checked out early due to not what they booked online! The rooms are very similar to prison cells!

• Stayed: June 2014
5  Thank Samuelmelb

Aloha!

Mahalo for staying with us and for taking the time to share your experience with us. I was really sorry to see that you found your experience to be less than what they expected as we have received many positive reviews about our location and most importantly our warm and friendly staff. My only wish is that you would have shared your thoughts with us during your stay so that we could have reviewed what options were available to you.

I sincerely hope we have the opportunity of hosting you again in the future as I'm sure your thoughts and experiences will be changed once you return. Until then, here's wishing you much continued success and great health!

With Warmest Aloha,

Reviewed 16 June 2014

A lot of our experience during our single overnight was excellent: brilliant location, friendly/helpful staff, good wifi, seemingly good price/value for the area.

There was a $10 "amenity fee" that covered beach towels and mats and wifi and perhaps some things we didn't use which increased our good rate by 10% plus, but for all I know other hotels in Waikiki charge as well, and certainly of the places we checked, this was the best room price in the area we found.

The beds were comfy and the room was reasonably clean.

On the other hand the air conditioner was quite loud. Many of the glass louver windows were "frozen." some open and none could be fully closed so outside noise and humidity came with the room. We had no fridge nor coffee pot. The single elevator chattered to a stop and the doors were aggressive and the safety baffles didn't react quickly enough to stop one from being bumped around a bit by the closing doors. After being hammered once or twice I expect a sharp learning curve would apply and this would cease to be a problem, but be prepared. We noted no breakfast facility on the premises and none came with our room, but there are convenience stores and other options all over the area. (I see now their web sight says mini-fridge available upon request.)

For someone wanting simple accommodation and great access to the beach at what seems a good price in the area, I recommend it. It's 100 meters from the beach or less and in a happening part of Waikiki. If you want anything close to luxury this isn't your place.

Room Tip: If a fridge matters, you might want to mention it at the time of booking
1  Thank SkykomishBob

Aloha!

Thank you for taking the time to write us a review, I appreciate your kind words and am glad to hear you enjoyed your stay with us! We look forward to seeing you again and just to let you know we have breakfast located just off the lobby every morning and refrigerators upon request.

Come see us again soon!

Mahalo,

Reviewed 12 June 2014

I stayed with my mother and 2 year old son for 10 days.I was scared at first because of all the bad reviews. Our room was basic, but we had a fridge and it was just fine for us. We stayed in room 703 and we had a little ocean view! It was great. Double awesome was we did not have people sharing the wall with us so when my son had a temper tantrum I was not mortified.

I suggest you get the room with the queen bed and sofa sleeper on the highest level available, or room 703 lol. It was perfect for hanging around a little and sleeping.

Do not come to this place with the expectation of a luxury hotel. You are getting a great location and basic stuff. Yes, it was noisy as the tour buses line up starting at 6 and end around 9 or 10, but we were so exhausted after every day it was a non-issue.

The staff was absolutely phenomenal. :) We weren't able to get a late check out because of the popularity of the room (understandable) and they allowed us to stay in another room until a certain time, same as a late check out. It was a small room, but fine for just hanging for a little bit. Saved us from hanging out in the lobby more than necessary.

Room Tip: Get room 703/high up and queen with sofa sleeper.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Linnea856

Aloha,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us some feed back about your stay with us! I'm very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and I will definitely make the staff aware of your kind words for them!

We look forward to seeing you again soon!

Mahalo,
Gerneral Manager

Reviewed 11 June 2014

OK, I have to give it to them on one thing, location. Great location. But other than that, not a very nice place. I will try to not to make this as long as it should be. But I was intended to be here for 5 nights. I landed at Honolulu airport and before getting to far, I had a heart attack. I spent 3 nights in the hospital, I had to stay the 5 nights because it was a package deal. So got released from the hospital to a few days of recovery and then the nightmare started. I got to the hotel and found that the parking garage was one story under ground. I cannot lift anything over 10 pounds, so I stop before entering the garage and let the lobby know what was going on, the kid working did take my bag, but i had a heavy briefcase also. I had to go park down in the parking lot to find out no elevator to the lobby. Stairs were not real easy, but made it to the lobby. Got my room, no ask if I needed any help getting to my room, but rolled my way to the elevator to the 8th floor. Went in to a small, old but looked ok room. I sat on the bed, and it began. A roach ran across the bed, ok expected...in Hawaii, they have roaches. As night fell upon the room, the roaches started to come out of everywhere. About 10PM I called the front dest and the girl said I'm sorry but I don't have any other room. I asked for some spray and she said they were going to have the Hotel sprayed tomorrow. OK, left it at that. Had to leave every light in the place on all night long and lay there watching the roaches circle the room. Not a nice restfull place to be after a heart attack. I made it through the night. I had one more night, not sure what to do, more hassle to move to another hotel at that point with no help. So I stayed another night. They did come to spray and I told the guy about the night before, it was like no big deal... we have roaches here is all he said. I twas a little better the next night after spraying, I only killed 7, and again had the lights on all night...no rest. Upon check out I said is it possible to waive the parking fee of 25 dollars a night since i had so many roaches in my room, plus I never moved the car the whole time I was there...remember I just had a heart attack.... She said she cannot do that. I said why, she just said she can't nut she will take $20.00 of the resort fee. WOW! $20.00...I could not get out of here soon enough. This was the worst trip to Hawaii anyone can ask for, when you are better off in the hospital, than your hotel. Very upset with this hotel. I come to Hawaii every year for work, and will never, I repeat... never stat at STAY again. The new name for this place is the Roach Motel.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business