“Terrible DONT BE MISLED NOT 3 STARS!!!”
Review of Stay Hotel Waikiki

Stay Hotel Waikiki
Ranked #69 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Waipahu, Hawaii
“Terrible DONT BE MISLED NOT 3 STARS!!!”
Reviewed 5 July 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for one night and was disappointed. First, we arrived a little early, about 140 and check in was not till 4. Our room wasn't ready and it would be a bit till it was. We were attending a wedding and needed to freshen up a bit before. I asked to be called when my room was ready and I would come over and get situated. THE CALL NEVER CAME. Service, zero points. We had to get ready in another hotel.
The location was good, one block from the beach, no ocean view though. While the street the hotel is on is close to mainstream Waikiki, it did seem to be in a seedier area with a hostel next door and those hanger around types just hanging around.
We finally came back close to 11 at night and found there would be an additional 11 per night as a "RESORT FEE". Now, I use the term RESORT in its loosest sense. This was to pay for the "breakfast" which was served in the lobby area from 7 til 930 am. Thawed pastries, toast, cold cereal and yogurt. Eat to your heart's content.
The lobby looked as though they tried to polish a turd. But, it's still a TURD.
There was a single elevator and we waited for a long while for it to come. I think someone pressed all of the buttons and got off. That's the kind of element we found to be staying here.
The room was "polished" as well. Initially we thought there wasn't a shower in the room. We eventually found it when we closed the bathroom door. The water pressure was great though. The bed was platform style and the room air conditioner was running when we entered which took away from the crazy heat and humidity of the exposed corridors.
I hope people are listening to the reviews that are on here. I am usually optimistic and take the good ones into consideration, but in this case I should have read the negative ones as well. This place is NOT 3 STARS. THIS HOTEL IS A 1 STAR LOCATION DISGUISED AS A 3 STAR. The restaurant is under renovation, the service is substandard and the accommodations are basically a dump.
Here's the scoop: if you want a place to sleep, don't care about service or amenities, and don't plan on being in the room at all, this place would be enough. But, if you want comfort and service, do not stay here.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Peter D

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (201)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 28 June 2014

Don't be put off by the naysayers. Stay is great and really good value for money.

Stayed at Stay Waikiki as a couple for three nights at the end of June. Was a tad apprehensive before we arrived as I'd read the mixed reviews. However I was pleasantly surprised. We stayed in room 706 which is a a queen standard room.

Our flight landed very early in the morning and we went to the hotel to drop our bags, already aware that we were way too early to check in. We returned about midday expecting to just hang out I the lounge area till 4pm but we're told our room was ready. I must mention Jasmine who works on the front desk, as she was incredibly helpful and friendly throughout our stay.

Room itself was simple (this clearly isn't the Ritz) but had everything it needed. We had a balcony with partial sea views. Bed was comfortable, bathroom a good size with a full size bath. All of it was clean on arrival and the daily maid service was great. Flat screen TV, iPod Dock and excellent air con, which I didn't find particularly noisy despite other reviewers saying so.

I had no trouble sleeping there at all due to noise, but should mention that the Sway Restaurant/bar was closed for renovation whilst we were there, so this may contribute to night time noise at other times.

The location of Stay is amazing. Just a hop skip and a jump to Waikiki beach front.

The breakfast was average and that's the best I can say about it. Not bad but not good.

The free wifi and media centre were really great, and we had no problems connecting to the wifi even up on the 7th floor

All in all it's great value for the money you pay. If you want luxury then go to the Royal Hawaiian and stay there. And look at you room. A lot. Because you probably won't have the money to do anything else!

6 Thank XtinaBlizabeth
Kapaa, Hawaii
Reviewed 26 June 2014

I was not prepared for how small this room was however it had a nice size lanai. It was like 1/2 a hotel room. The front desk staff was very nice. In the first 20 minutes of being in the room I killed over 20 cockroaches. They were on the floor, on the curtains, on the walls, in the shower, on and in the dresser, in the closet. I live in Hawaii and am used to these pests at my own house however the sheer number of them out in the open in this small room was creepy. We had trouble sleeping because we had cockroaches even on the bed.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank shl74

Travellers are raving about these Honolulu hotels

Reviewed 20 June 2014

Don't let the poor reviews deter/scare you. You will not find a more cost-efficient hotel in Waikiki. The bed was comfy, the staff was amazing, the breakfast is decent, and you are ONE BLOCK from the beach. I had friends staying in hotels on the beach, paying $400 a night for a tiny room. With my Hotwire discount, I paid 1/4 of that, including the amenity fee, for a large queen room with a small balcony. And it comes with really delicious mini croissants in the morning (are those from Costco, or what?).

Let me address some of the complaints from other reviews:

--Room size: Mine was great, but anyone complaining about a small room: go outside, you're in Hawaii.

--Cockroaches: Apparently my boyfriend did see one cockroach in the bathroom. That being said, I saw one at a Starbucks, a couple on the beach, and one in the driveway of a very swanky hotel. It is what it is.

--Noise: I didn't notice any noise, but I live in a very busy part of a large city most of the year. And there is noise everywhere in Waikiki anyway.

--A/C: It doesn't matter where you stay, the A/C is "inadequate." It's comfortable for sleeping and lounging, but you're going to need to let your hair air dry (though, they have GREAT hair dryers for a hotel). The swanky hotels' rooms feel just as hot when you're getting ready. If you want cooler, go to a different part of Hawaii.

--Breakfast: As you know, I really enjoyed the mini croissants. And the yogurt was good. If it's not enough, take some of that money you saved and go to the ABC store.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor if possible. They're very accommodating.
5 Thank KB2585
Tom K, General Manager at Stay Hotel Waikiki, responded to this review, 24 June 2014
Aloha,

I just wanted to take a minute to thank you for your nice review and kind words! We're very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward to see you again in the near future!

To answer your question about the croissants, they're not from costco we actually get them from a local bakery here in Hawai'i.

See you again soon!

Gerneral Manager
Reviewed 20 June 2014

The hotel looks NOTHING like the pictures. The rooms are not safe. There is no lockable windows, their is no lighting, parking $25 a day!, elevator is crap that shuts with no warning and very fast! Dangerous!

The bathroom is TINY! The shower is the size of a shoe box!

There is no sound proofing so you will expect a very early morning wake up call from the tour buses!

There is loud noises ALL night long from the hostels surrounding the building.

The apartments are very dated and quiet dirty!
The cleaners don't actually clean and the aircon will keep you awake all night long with how old and noisy it is!

4 people also checked out early due to not what they booked online! The rooms are very similar to prison cells!

• Stayed June 2014
5 Thank Samuelmelb
Aloha!

Mahalo for staying with us and for taking the time to share your experience with us. I was really sorry to see that you found your experience to be less than what they expected as we have received many positive reviews about our location and most importantly our warm and friendly staff. My only wish is that you would have shared your thoughts with us during your stay so that we could have reviewed what options were available to you.

I sincerely hope we have the opportunity of hosting you again in the future as I'm sure your thoughts and experiences will be changed once you return. Until then, here's wishing you much continued success and great health!

With Warmest Aloha,
Olympia, Washington
Reviewed 16 June 2014

A lot of our experience during our single overnight was excellent: brilliant location, friendly/helpful staff, good wifi, seemingly good price/value for the area.

There was a $10 "amenity fee" that covered beach towels and mats and wifi and perhaps some things we didn't use which increased our good rate by 10% plus, but for all I know other hotels in Waikiki charge as well, and certainly of the places we checked, this was the best room price in the area we found.

The beds were comfy and the room was reasonably clean.

On the other hand the air conditioner was quite loud. Many of the glass louver windows were "frozen." some open and none could be fully closed so outside noise and humidity came with the room. We had no fridge nor coffee pot. The single elevator chattered to a stop and the doors were aggressive and the safety baffles didn't react quickly enough to stop one from being bumped around a bit by the closing doors. After being hammered once or twice I expect a sharp learning curve would apply and this would cease to be a problem, but be prepared. We noted no breakfast facility on the premises and none came with our room, but there are convenience stores and other options all over the area. (I see now their web sight says mini-fridge available upon request.)

For someone wanting simple accommodation and great access to the beach at what seems a good price in the area, I recommend it. It's 100 meters from the beach or less and in a happening part of Waikiki. If you want anything close to luxury this isn't your place.

Room Tip: If a fridge matters, you might want to mention it at the time of booking
1 Thank SkykomishBob
Aloha!

Thank you for taking the time to write us a review, I appreciate your kind words and am glad to hear you enjoyed your stay with us! We look forward to seeing you again and just to let you know we have breakfast located just off the lobby every morning and refrigerators upon request.

Come see us again soon!

Mahalo,

Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed 12 June 2014

I stayed with my mother and 2 year old son for 10 days.I was scared at first because of all the bad reviews. Our room was basic, but we had a fridge and it was just fine for us. We stayed in room 703 and we had a little ocean view! It was great. Double awesome was we did not have people sharing the wall with us so when my son had a temper tantrum I was not mortified.

I suggest you get the room with the queen bed and sofa sleeper on the highest level available, or room 703 lol. It was perfect for hanging around a little and sleeping.

Do not come to this place with the expectation of a luxury hotel. You are getting a great location and basic stuff. Yes, it was noisy as the tour buses line up starting at 6 and end around 9 or 10, but we were so exhausted after every day it was a non-issue.

The staff was absolutely phenomenal. :) We weren't able to get a late check out because of the popularity of the room (understandable) and they allowed us to stay in another room until a certain time, same as a late check out. It was a small room, but fine for just hanging for a little bit. Saved us from hanging out in the lobby more than necessary.

Room Tip: Get room 703/high up and queen with sofa sleeper.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Linnea856
Aloha,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us some feed back about your stay with us! I'm very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and I will definitely make the staff aware of your kind words for them!

We look forward to seeing you again soon!

Mahalo,