“loved it”

Ranked #22 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
GreenLeadersBronze level
“loved it”
Reviewed 17 May 2014 via mobile

I did a fair bit of research on this hotel and Waikiki in General. Some if the negatives that I read were about it was tired, had homeless living on the streets, and the beaches are too small and busy. I will start with the hotel. We found the hotel was the best situated on the strip. We had an ocean view. With the ocean view also comes a view of the main strip. It was great at the end of the day to see the ocean from your balcony but also the strip below. We found the staff to be very helpful and accommodating, while the rooms were not overly modern, they were clean, and we found it fitted into the
Hawaiian atmosphere.
Breakfast was included, and the selection was plenty for us, it includes a fresh omelet chef.

There is also a perfect amount of shops sprinkled across the hotel, including car rental, and ABC stores for all your grocery needs. You will soon love the ABC stores.
The hyatt boasts a Japanese restaurant as well as a grill style restaurant, once again the food was very nice.
Getting back to the homeless living in the street, there is not that many of them, and unlike SE Asia they leave you alone.with the beach, you can always find plenty of room.
Overall an excellent stay, and we will be back to the Hyatt Regency in couple of years, and we will be requesting the same room
Regards Graeme Hicks
Melbourne Australia

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Graemeh6
lvans, Public Relations Manager at Hyatt Regency Waikiki Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 19 May 2014
Aloha,

Thank you for the great review and for selecting us for your future visit to Waikiki. We will be certain to share your comments with our team.

Mahalo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,130)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Preston, England
Reviewed 17 May 2014

We chose this hotel largely for it's central location on Waikiki Beach and we weren't disappointed. It's just across the street from the beach and within easy walking distance to many shops and restaurants. As previously mentioned, the self-parking garage is very tight which is a good argument for renting a standard-size car. Most of the other drivers we met whilst using the garage were the valet parkers who we found to be very courteous and almost always gave way to us. Check-in was straight forward. We had an ocean view room on the 33rd floor which had a fantastic view along the beach towards Diamond Head. Just sitting on the balcony with a drink admiring the view was a pleasure in itself. Our bedroom was huge and very comfortable. The decor was perhaps a little outdated but we had everything we needed and the standard of cleanliness was excellent. Our package included buffet breakfast in the Shore restaurant which was very good. I would definitely choose this hotel again.

Room Tip: A high-level ocean view room is worth the extra cost
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank instoreman
Aloha,

Thank you for reviewing your stay. We are glad that you had such a wonderful experience while visiting our property. We hope you will visit again in the future.

Reviewed 17 May 2014

We had an excellent stay at the Hyatt - this place is sensational. The staff were really helpful and rooms were beautiful. We booked the holiday through My Hawaii and were looked after every step of the way from the flights to the bonus vouchers given which saved use $100's... great holiday.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Aloha,

We are pleased to read that you had such an enjoyable visit. We thank you for taking the time to share your comments. We hope you will visit again in the future.

McKinney, Texas
Reviewed 15 May 2014

Booked this hotel thru Expedia.com for a very good rate including daily breakfast buffet, May 7-13th. I had high hopes prior to arriving and wasn't disappointed. Booked an ocean front room and was enticed to upgrade for an even better view. The price increase was partially offset by a discounted daily resort fee and included Wifi internet connection. Even though we arrived prior to check-in time we were warmly greeted and provided a great room. You can't beat the location of this place. It's 30 feet from the beach! Countless restaurants and shops are within a very short walking distance. The property is very large yet easy to navigate and filled with shops and lush surroundings. Breakfast buffet was very good and well worth it! The pool, though small, was nice and welcoming with good food and drinks. The staff was exceptional; always helpful and very friendly. Grace (at the front desk), Robert (at the pool), and Barbara (at Swim-the pool bar) are just some of the terrific staff that exemplify the warmth of the Aloha spirit. Even the folks at the Bell Desk/Valet and in Housekeeping were super nice! I was amazed at the generous, complimentary sundry package the Hyatt Waikiki offers to its guests as well-very helpful if you forget a toiletry item like we did: that's less money you have to give the ABC stores in Waikiki! Warning: the Seafood Village restaurant on the property was ridiculously priced for the portions they provided-even with a 15% off coupon! I was disappointed that I couldn't order a lobster tail-instead they wanted me to buy at least 1/2 a lobster-no thanks! Instead we should've gone to the Mother's Day evening buffet at Shor! The Farmers Market (featured every Thursday) was great because the vendors give free samples and are friendly. It was a treat to eat some authentic Hawaiian grown and produced foods! The Hyatt also had live music during my stay and karaoke in the pool bar on Fridays and Saturdays. I suppose the only critical comment I could make is that some of the facilities need to be updated. Some of the tile and flooring are dated but the property was built 38 years ago and these are fairly minor details. I do wish we had a microwave oven to complement the small refrigerator that was provided in our room. Overall, The Hyatt Regency Waikiki was a terrific place to stay. The location, amenities, convenience and superb staff make it recommendable. I wouldn't hesitate to stay there again upon my return to Waikiki.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor away from the elevators. Upgrade to an Ocean View room in the least-the views o...
Green Features: They do recycle and provided receptacles in the rooms and in the public areas.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank DFNJR
Aloha,

Thank you for all of the kind remarks. We are glad to read that you had such a wonderful visit. Thank you for sharing the names of staff who made your stay extra special. We will be certain to share your comments with them all.

Washington, DC
Reviewed 14 May 2014

"Platinum GP Guest, king bed requested, confirmed non-smoking rm, quiet room requested, early check-in requested" online, then I called reservations and got late check-out requested too. The reservation says "Your preferences have been submitted and are subject to hotel availability."

On arrival, early check-in was unavailable unless I agreed to a downgrade to a double room instead of king. That was the price of not dragging my bags around for hours while I looked at Waikiki, and they use the "subject to hotel availability" disclaimer so they're covered. She did comp me parking, which was something.

The room still contained an invitation to a Mother's Day dinner, which would have been great if the room was also equipped with a time machine.

Quiet room? Forget it. Construction noise within the hotel was bone-jarringly loud. C'mon, front desk. You had to know. At least warn a guy.

My late check-out request was partially granted (late flight)

So, my amazing Hyatt platinum status got me early check-in to a smaller room, waived parking, bone-jarring construction noise from within the building, and the late check-out benefit wasn't available to the extent authorized. I didn't even get the "welcome lei" listed on the card outlining platinum benefits.

If this is what mid-level "elites" get, I wonder what dungeon regular folks are consigned to.

Not feeling the love. Not at all.

Room Tip: Don't check in early. Just don't. It's all "subject to availability."
Green Features: Noise pollution was rather high. The policies didn't affect me.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
7 Thank RoadWarriorofDC
lvans, Public Relations Manager at Hyatt Regency Waikiki Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 20 May 2014
Aloha,

We are deeply sorry that your experience was unsatisfactory and that you did not feel you received the quality service you have come to expect as a GP member. Your post was shared with the front desk management team and based on comments and the dates of your stay they are certain they have your contact information and the supervisor will be reaching out to you directly.

Windsor, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 14 May 2014

Without a doubt we stay at this Hyatt every time we've been to Waikiki. Ya, it's not a 'new' hotel but very well maintained and in the perfect location. Every room has a balcony and the lobby is open with the ocean breeze blowing. The staff greets you with a smile and refreshments are waiting for you at check in.
Do watch for sales on their website and if you're travelling as a family and need 2 rooms, the second room is half price. Just ask when you make reservations.
The pool area is nice with plenty of chairs and an open bar where we watched Hawaiian dancers and listened to music.

Room Tip: We prefer an ocean front room in the Diamond head tower. This is by far the best view of Waikiki an...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Love2travel19892
lvans, Public Relations Manager at Hyatt Regency Waikiki Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 15 May 2014
Aloha,

Thank you for this review. We are glad that you enjoy visiting and that you took advantage of the new Molehu (mo-lei-who) performance at the pool on Mondays and Tuesday evenings. We will make sure to share you comments with our team. We also have added a new suite category for families and suggest you take a look at these in the future as well. You may find the prices and/or amenities are perfect for a larger group.

San Diego, California
Reviewed 13 May 2014

The service at this hotel was truly exceptional. When I checked in, I relayed to the clerk (Dan) that I brought my mother (almost 79 years old) to Hawaii for long mother's day weekend since she had always wanted to visit Hawaii. I had booked the hotel as part of a package with Hawaiian Air and wanted to ensure we had 2 double beds. Dan checked us in quickly and told me there was a surprise for us in our room. He then gave us leis and sent us on our way. Our surprise was an oceanfront room with a wonderful view of Waikiki beach. Every morning, my early rising mom would make a cup of coffee from the in-room coffee maker & sit on the balcony watching the surfers catch the early waves.
Our last morning there, we went to the pool to enjoy the morning sun before we went to the airport. It had rained the evening before so we choose wicker chairs to sit since the lounge chairs were still damp. The pool staff came over quickly with several towels and “wrapped” up the chairs so we could recline on the lounge chairs without getting wet.
The valet service was friendly and quick. The rooms were clean and the maids efficient. My only criticism would be that the bathroom could use some updating. It reminded me of my master bather before we remodeled -large sink & vanity area and a “closet” which contains the toilet and tub. Once you closed the shower curtain, it was rather dark in the bathroom. A light over the tub would be appreciated.
I have stayed at many hotels as I travel for business quite frequently and this hotel’s service and staff friendliness truly stands out.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank mellengal
Aloha,

Thank you for this wonderful review of our services. We are happy that our associates could help make this such a great visit for you and your mother. We've shared all comments, including the bathroom observations, with our teams.

Mahalao