“Another great Hyatt Waikiki Visit” 5 of 5 bubbles

Hyatt Regency Waikiki Resort & Spa
Ranked #21 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
GreenLeadersBronze level
Florida
“Another great Hyatt Waikiki Visit”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2010

Stayed for three weeks this time on the 39th floor next to the Regency Club which gave us easy access.

The staff is great but kudos to Micheline in the morning who is the utmost professional and provides the best customer service.

I cannot wait for the RC to go to its new location so we can partake in the buffet breakfasts since the morning continental breakfast gets boring after a few days. There are no changes in the morning menu.

The night menu compared to a few years ago sucks with just picks and dips. I wish they had one hot item everynight that was substantial. I would even pay more per day to have a better selection of night food and less dips and chips.

The room was excellent and very clean. The maid Lordes was wonderful giving us extra towels and tissues and whatever we wanted. The RC level provides such nice amenities that its worth paying extra for it IMO.

The pool was small but the area around it with the big umbrella's make it a perfect day to sit in the nice breezes. John and Colin at the pool are the best. They come around periodically with COLD wash clothes and popsicles. Their services are immpeccable.

The entire staff at this hotel is professional and each and everyone of them I came in contract with exuded professionalism.

The Hotel is in a great location. The Cheesecake Factory (our fav lunch place) was 7 mins away walking. PF Changs was 12 mins away by foot. The International Market was basically a block down the main drag Kalakaua. The ocean is across the street and there is a great Hyatt Lunch place right on the beach offering great burgers.

I cannot think of one negative about this hotel other than the food in the Regency Club.

I highly recommend this hotel to anyone spending time or vacationing in Honolulu.

• Stayed June 2010
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,090)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Bellevue, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2010

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Hyatt Regency Waikiki one night during our vacation in Honolulu over Fourth of July weekend. I redeemed a promotional award for one free night, with an upgrade to an Ocean View room for $49. When we arrived at the hotel, I was informed that we were upgraded to the Regency Club level for no additional cost. The room was comfortable and the view was beautiful. Not Ocean Front, but the ocean was perfectly visible while sitting on the room balcony. This hotel is HUGE and does take some navigation, but once we got our bearings it really wasn't an issue. We did not take advantage of the complimentary breakfast in the Regency Club lounge that comes with the room, but instead opted to enjoy in-room breakfast on the room balcony. Staff was friendly and helpful, and the food was very good. Taxes and fees on in-room service are insane, but I think you find that everywhere you go in Honolulu. We did sit at the pool for a bit in the morning. It was not crowded at all and quite peaceful. I imagine the later is gets the more people that flock to the pool. One great feature is the free beach chairs and towel you can take to the beach which is immediately across the street. I think this hotel gets additional kudos just for that fact. We stayed at another hotel that charges HUGE fees for beach chair rentals. We did not eat in the restaurants and did notice really long lines for the breakfast crowd. All in all, I would return to the Hyatt Waikiki in the future.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2010

A superb hotel experience. Stayed here on business for three nights, including part of the July 4 weekend. Although the hotel is across the street from Waikiki Beach, there are no structures blocking access to, or the view of, the beach – so it is almost as if the Hyatt hotel is on the beach. My room, which I understand was an upgrade, was beautifully appointed. The balcony, on the 38th floor, had a great view of the city and mountains, and the trade winds felt wonderful while sitting outside. The room also came with a free breakfast buffet and evening access to the Regency Club. The breakfast buffet was wonderful – every sort of fresh fruit and cereal, an omelet station, and all sorts of other hot foods. The Regency Club, on the 39th floor, served free drinks and tasty snacks. The beach view from the Regency Club was simply stunning – you could see the entire south Oahu waterfront, from Diamond Head out past Pearl Harbor to the Western Mountains. You are so high up you can see the ocean floor, all the various boats and ships out at sea, and the dozens of surfers doing their thing up and down Waikiki. The fitness center was also very nice, with new equipment.

The only complaint I had, and it was a minor one, was about the parking. The drive-up to the lobby was jammed, and it took about 15 minutes for the harried valet parkers to greet us and take our vehicle. Not sure what they can do about that, because of the congested nature of Waikiki. Also, I was pretty sure I was quoted a rate of $33 a night for the valet parking when I check-in, which seemed pretty steep, but on check-out was only charged $16 a night (for three nights), so that was a pleasant surprise.

Overall, I highly recommend the Hyatt Regency Waikiki.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled on business
Roseville, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2010

We stayed at this hotel between June 17-June 21st. I had purchased a vacation package from Expedia originally with a mountain view. I chose the Hyatt based on reviews at expedia, trip advisor and my personal experience staying other other Hyatt Hotels related to my work. When we arrived at the hotel, we were first disappointed because of the construction scafolding and boarding on the main lobby floor. I found out that the wooden beam trellises located just above the third floor (pool and Terrace Grill) are being removed for a better view ( I was told by staff). The only view I could see being obstructed was from the angle of their on site spa. When looking through the windows, you see the beams block the view of the pool terrace or beach area (Kuhio Park located across the street). However, I asked Yoshido upon check-in for an upgrade which he said he would see what he could do.....I was given a room with an ocean view and he said if I was unhappy with the room to give him a call. I was given a free up grade to an ocean view room. When we got into our first room, we did have a pretty good ocean view but we were also looking into the back of the Moana Surfrider Hotel. I called the front desk and got Yoshido again. I told him of our situation and he apologized and said he would give me a better room....an Ocean Front View....Wow! I did tip Yoshido (He was reluctant to take it but I insisted he take it) when I went to pick up the key cards from him. When we stepped into the next room 2012 (EWA Tower), it had a fantastic view. If you would like an idea of what the room and view looked like see http://www.oyster.com (good site for accurate photos of hotels- my view was better than the photos). The balcony is very large and nice to sit on in the early morning (watch the surfers) and in the evening. Our room was very spacious and large. The bathroom is split with sink closet area and a separate bath area. It took us awhile to figure out how to maneuver through the hotel but we got it down by the 2nd day. This is a large hotel so if you have trouble walking you may want to consider a more compact hotel. Their fitness room was excellent. They even have free small maps of how to take the Diamond Head hike with walking distances. You will hear street noise and the ocean when you have a room with a great ocean view but that's part of the Waikiki scene...it didn't bother us....closing the balcony window does shut out most noise although we left ours open most of the time. Despite the two huge towers, EWA & Diamond Head , we found the hotel peaceful and the most people we ever saw through the hotel was on the third floor around the pool . I observed the hotel was very careful when to work on the construction area so we didn't notice a huge amount of noise since we were out and about most of the day. The pool is small but most hotels in Waikiki have small pools except the Sheraton & Royal Hawaiian (These two share a huge kid pool) & Hilton Hawaiian Village. The beach and Kuhio Park is located directly across the street. Who needs a big pool when you have the beach? Hyatt provides free beach towels, water and beach chairs you can take with you to the beach. They also have a Hyatt At the Beach Snack Building at the beach. The turkey wrap was pretty good. If you are on a budget, try eating at the Elegant Dive - the bar located on the third floor. They have a more reasonably priced menu for those on a budget. The breakfast buffet was included in our package which is a plus and was pretty good. The pool area is pleasant and you can see the beach and palm trees when sitting on the outside terrace close to the wall. This is a classy hotel. We visited other hotels in the area so each one has it's own character and different feel. I would say this hotel is beautiful, peaceful, low key (not a lot of club action) and great for families (although I did not see lots of kids) and has very nice beach area across the street . As part of our vacation we island hopped to Kauai for a few days then back to Waikiki - we stayed at the Marriott Waikiki Beach Hotel (chose to stay here to use my free points for one of the nights) on the last days back in Oahu . We liked the Hyatt over the Marriott even with the construction going on. I would definitely stay at this Hyatt again.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank tirzah30
USA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2010

I feel that this hotel was overpriced for what we paid for it. We stayed here for 4 nights for the beginning part of our Hawaiian honeymoon. There was construction going on in the hotel which made it unpleasant. We had paid for an oceanview room and when we checked in, i stepped out onto the balcony and had a view of the city. I called down to the front desk to complain only to be told that it is considered an ocean view room, since if you stuck your head out the window and leaned toward the side you could see the ocean. Unbelievable!! Plus they promised us a free bottle of champagne upon check in which they never gave, and I had to request. The room was dated and the shower drain did not even work. Small pool. Then upon check out we discovered that they charged for all local calls, which we were unaware of. Too much stuff going wrong for the price. The one thing that was good was that we received a free breakfast buffet every morning since we were staying at another Hyatt at another island, and it was very good. If i ever go back to Waikiki I would stay at another hotel.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank jenny8484
Oklahoma City, OK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2010

I knew what I was getting into, but my wife and I went with 2 other couples so I had no choice on where we were going to stay. I was hoping to be pleasantly surprised, but got what I expected, actually worse. It takes forever to get to your room from the pool or beach. The elevators are not at ground level. You have to go up escalators to get to the lobby and then there's only 4 elevators for thousands of people. The hotel is massive. Also, you can't drink on the beach in Hawaii!!! State law. I did not know this, none of us did. So you have to act like your a teenager again and sneak it in cups. Also, the pool is tiny and has no view!!! It's up on the 3rd floor and the view of the beach is blocked by a wall. You can't see to the beach unless you walk up to the wall. Who want's to go on vacation for that? I can just lay out at the pool here in Oklahoma. Really, just not a good experience, not worth the long flight and not worth the money. The best thing we did was play Koolau golf course, it's the best course I've ever seen. Book a time on golfnow.com when you get there. You'll have to rent a car to get to it, but it's just a 30 minute drive. They also have some nice food joints around the hotel. Otherwise for a more relaxing vacation, go to Mexico or the Caribbean or one of the other islands.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank roninokc
Denver, Colorado
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2010

I stayed at this hotel two different nights in June. Both of my stays were points stays. I stayed while transiting to a flight the next day. The hotel is very large. The check in process went very smoothly. The staff were very nice and welcoming. If I was to return to Waikiki I would not hesitate to stay here again. The first room I had was a 37th floor ocean view. The view was amazing. The rooms are alittle dated but still nice. I like the option of having a balcony. The second room I had was a 37th floor city view. The view from here was nothing to write home about. It was overlooking a golf course and you could see some of diamond head. This hotel is very hard to navigate as some people have said. The pizza's from room service are not good either. It is nice having a mall in the base of the hotel. But overall it was an acceptable hotel.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled solo