“Average Beach”

US$78.53*
Private Group Surfing Lessons
Ranked #18 of 332 things to do in Honolulu
More attraction details
Owner description: Oahu's most popular beach.
Reviewed 21 November 2013

I was slightly disappointed with Waikiki Beach. It reminded me of Venice beach in California. It is overly crowded with several street performers and homeless people. The city is very busy and overly congested and parking is impossible. I would suggest paying to park at one of the hotels (possibly even valet) or by the zoo if it isn't too crowded. The shopping is decent, however if you are someone who does not like crowds, you probably want to skip this part of the island. I highly reccomend Ko'Olina for a more laid back vacation with easy access to the entire island.

Write a ReviewReviews (13,085)

Reviewed 17 November 2013 via mobile

I feel sorry for all the people who flock from far and wide (including myself!) who come to Waikiki thinking they'll experience Hawaii. Big mistake! It's touristy beyond belief, there's a queue for everything - and my friend and I went during low season - and big brand shops such as Dior, Cartier, Coach etc and adds to the lack of soul to Waikiki. Go to another island like Maui or Kauai where I hear its nowhere near as busy, and its expensive for that reason. If you're going to visit Oahu, go to The North Shore where the beaches are stunning, community feel and where locals hang out. If you're picturing a Hawaii with mountains, leis, rainforest, crystal clear waters, don't come to Waikiki!!

5  Thank Happy123Wanderer
Reviewed 17 November 2013

We chose to spend our 8 nights on Oahu on the North Shore and are very thankful we did as the day we planned out in Waikiki turned into a 1/2 day very quickly with the massively disappointing Waikiki Beach. There are dozens of beaches around Oahu that are so much nicer to spend time. The water wasnt clear like we expected, the sand was as crowded as you could imagine, and the infinity pools that basically are on top of you on the beach are loud. Not my idea of a nice beach.

2  Thank AussieAssault
Reviewed 12 November 2013

Well, the famous Waikiki beach is a must see, but only once. Small crowded beaches, big hotel buildings, horrible water. May be it's fine to start surfing, but during the day Ohau offers much better! The area is good for a stroll (shops, restaurant, bar) but if you want REAL sea, go somewhere else!

2  Thank lelle
Reviewed 11 November 2013

I have been travelling to beautiful Hawaii for the past thirty years.

Waikiki beach remains a tourism blemish as it brings the worst of Las Vegas ooze to such a beautiful area. This beach is so built up and surrounded by hotel towers full of tourists.
A few days ago we found a deserted beach up on the northern shores. This beach is sadly commercialized.
The view out to sea and of Diamond Head to your left remains breathtakingly beautiful, if and only if like Sodom you do not look behind you.

Been to Waikiki Beach? Share your experiences!