“Very busy”

US$78.53*
Private Group Surfing Lessons
Ranked #17 of 331 things to do in Honolulu
More attraction details
Owner description: Oahu's most popular beach.
Reviewed 24 May 2014

Seeing a Maui beach then seeing this beach, I was a little disappointed. But had lots of fun paddle boarding! Was only $20 for an hour.

There are newer reviews for Waikiki Beach

Reviewed 24 May 2014

This is my second time to Honolulu and my impression of Waikiki beach remains the same. It is overcrowded, and the width of the beach area is not that impressive. There are much better beaches on the island although one requires a car in order to do so. We really like Kailua beach - much better and my son really likes Sandy beach for the boogie boarding. The shopping is great but parking is hard to find and the traffic is very heavy due to the limited roads. Overall, would go to another beach for beach fun!!

Reviewed 23 May 2014

Recently, I stayed in Honolulu for a family event and had the opportunity to walk the beaches of Waikiki several mornings and read my book on the beach one afternoon. I realize Waikiki is considered one of the world's best beaches, but when I sit on the beach, I like to have some peace and quiet and not be surrounded by all god's children not an arm's length away. I did have peace and solitude when I walked the beach early in the morning (before 7AM) and then I usually only saw the diehard surfers, those doing Tai Chi or Yoga and a few other walkers like me.
I'm also not a shopper. Waikiki has the top brand shops like Prada, Victoria's Secret, and the ubiquitous Starbucks. I stayed away from these places; I can find them at home. If you like to shop at upscale international stores, I'm sure they are all there in Waikiki. It must be a shopper's dream, what with beautiful weather, a gorgeous albeit rather crowded beach, and all the stores. It's just not my cup of tea.

Reviewed 23 May 2014

The name Waikiki Beach is known world wide and the pictures I've seen don't tell the real story. We were very unimpressed with Waikiki Beach and the area. The beach is not clean (as compared to the many other beaches we have visited), not large beach and full of people. Some that camp out overnight on the sidewalks and picnic tables. Too bad that this is the first impression that many get when they visit Hawaii. Once we left the area things got better. Didn't really feel safe walking the beach and everything (like the rest of Hawaii) is very expensive.

1  Thank conlontravel
Reviewed 22 May 2014

This could be a great beach. The sand is nice, the water is great and there is a ton of shopping, restaurants, and ABC stores all over the place. The problem with this beach is the homeless population. I know this sounds cruel, but several of the homeless people obviously choose to live that way. All of the walkways around the beach were lined with people setting up camp with signs that say “need money for weed” and “need money for beer.” Several of the panhandlers were quite aggressive actually walking to you and demanding money. Every city in the mainland has laws that prevent aggressive panhandlers in tourist destinations, not so much in Hawaii…. unless they no longer view Waikiki Beach as a tourist destination. We did a tour of the Islands, went to dozens of beaches, this is by far the worst one to go to. The only reason to stay around this beach is if you like the night life, which it has tons of, my wife go to bed just after sundown and get up before sunrise so this was not our type of place.

Been to Waikiki Beach? Share your experiences!