“Pleasant walk thru a tropical rain forest”
Review of Lyon Arboretum

and up
Go Oahu Card
Ranked #50 of 332 things to do in Honolulu
More attraction details
Owner description: Part of the University of Hawaii, the Lyon Arboretum offers 194 acres and a research facility.
Reviewed 9 December 2013

Garden is maintained by the University of Hawaii and admission is free (Donation highly recommended). Parking is very limited. After parking check in at administration office to sign in (and make donation). Garden has many tropical plants and a multitude of bird life. You can get a trail map when you check in. The walk thru the garden is easy and there is a trail that goes to a falls (Aihualama falls) and inspiration point. Estimate that it is less than a mile walk and not difficult. Many side trails so you can spend an hour or several hours enjoying the gardens. Much less crowded than Manoa Falls which is located near-by.

1  Thank Joe P

Reviewed 2 December 2013

I went to this twice and estimate that I saw about 20% of it. It is 194 acres with an extensive trail system. It is mostly wooded and has over 5000 plant species. I think I could have easily spend a week here and visiting this again is one of the main reasons I want to travel to Oahu in the future. I found it very interesting that the annual rainfall here is 165 inches and at Waikiki about five miles away the annual rainfall is listed as 24 inches. The fee is voluntary. Note: the map gives a general idea of the layout but is not an accurate representation so it can be difficult to accurately locate yourself at times. Also, the map has a note that not all trails have been mapped.

3  Thank kspeed55
Reviewed 30 November 2013

A great place to check out the flora in Hawaii while taking in a good hike in the Manoa Valley.I can get hot so bring a water bottle and walking shoes. Lots of plants and birds to see. A very easy hike, no so strenuous.

Reviewed 24 November 2013

I wasn't expecting to enjoy the arboretum quite so much! I do love flowers but... the trails at the Lyon are about more than flowers. We went on several of the trails though, to be honest, I hadn't planned to. I walk with a cane and expected to sit alone while my friend hiked. Several of the staff encouraged me on short walks indicating that the trails weren't difficult. I was doubtful but made the first trek slowly along the ecotrail and found it easy. Before I knew it, I'd navigated one of the major trails through the gorgeous forest. There were plenty of places to rest and nothing was as difficult as I expected. I saw that others, including parents with kids in strollers, had also navigated the trails. To say that this visit was worthwhile is an understatement. The trees, the foliage, the flowers, the birds, the smells, the little rest areas (even one with a Buddha)... truly delightful. I'd never been in a rain forest before and this one was certainly amazing. So lush! So peaceful! I loved every minute. I thank the staff for their encouragement and I hope to come back again.

3  Thank jjane
Reviewed 3 November 2013

Spectacular setting, easy walking, informative. Small donation is suggested. Plan on an hour or two max. Bring insect repellant. After your visit, support the arboretum and buy a beverage or souvenir at their gift shop.

2  Thank OPTIPOP