“Slippery When Wet”
Review of Maunawili Trail

Maunawili Trail
Reviewed 5 August 2013

This was a fun hike with a waterfall and swimming hole at the end. The dirt is slick as snot when wet or even remotely wet. All in all we had a great time, bring old shoes you don't mind getting dirty and be prepared to get dirty!

1  Thank crazy4caribbean

Reviewed 9 June 2013

I give it a 4-star rating for a workout and 3-star for fun. I am fairly fit, do a lot of hiking, so I did not expect this hike to be too bad. However what adds to the workout is that it is a somewhat treacherous trail - gnarly roots make up the trail floor all the 3-4miles and are ready to trip you up, muddy and slippery conditions even when no recent rains, stream crossings that are not well-marked. Definitely take a hiking stick or pick up a sturdy branch - the stream crossings will be easier. And wear running shoes or hiking shoes with a good grip, be ready for them to be soaked in the streams. I started the hike with shoes made for walking in watery conditions but had to go back for shoes with a better grip.
The falls at the end are pretty but were super-crowded so I did not get a very close look. All in all I was too busy trying not to trip over roots to enjoy the rainforest-y scenery.

1  Thank buytics
Reviewed 17 May 2013

The trail was quite muddy when we went, we were all covered up to our knees when we finished and all of our shoes were perma-stained (we wore junkers as we expected this). It hadn't even been raining there that morning, so it might be a good idea hike elsewhere if you see rain in the A.M. The hike included several beautiful vistas and lookouts and concluded with a decent set of steep stairs down to the falls and pool. The pool was very refreshing, and letting the falls pound on your back is an awesome massage. Some kids were jumping off the cliff where the waterfalls flow from, though I'm not entirely confident it's deep enough to be safe. We had lunch on the rocks which poke out of the pool, spent a bit over an hour there total, and headed back (the stairs weren't much fun going up and out - keep some energy in your legs). Turnaround trip was probably about 4.5 hours, but could be done quicker or could be made into a day chilling at a quiet forest oasis.

1  Thank mtl_hi_Dave
Reviewed 23 January 2013

Started at the Pali Lookout on the Windward side and finished in Waimanalo. 9.3 miles, 5 hours of hiking, with breaks to eat, rest and enjoy the spectacular views. I hiked it with my fiance with an ulterior motive of scouting the trail to determine it's mountain bike potential. I think I'll start riding from the 'Nalo side and ride in about 6 miles to avoid most of the 'hike-a-bike' sections. An enjoyable day's excursion with great views of both the Ko'olau mountains and the windward ocean islands and beaches. Excellent multi-vantage vistas of Olomana, which is a great hike as well (for more experienced hikers).

1  Thank Pat C
Reviewed 9 January 2013

Went on a hike with a group of friends. It was muddy and slippery - so watch the weather when you go.
It was a nice hike with shaded areas here and there. When we reached the end a nice water area to cool off.