“Very Small”

Ranked #97 of 321 things to do in Honolulu
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Buzzing with vendors, shoppers, business people and tourists, this sliver of Downtown Honolulu is an exciting mix of history, mystery and fun. Amid the lei stands, noodle factories, hole-in-the-wall eateries and herbal medicine shops, the Oahu Market attracts locals recognizing it for savory selections of fresh meats, fish and produce. Remember to frequently look up from the street level while walking around the district since many of the old buildings that were renovated have retained their original façade and completion date on the second story.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities
Hawkes Bay
87 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 93 helpful votes
“Very Small”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2014

Have been to 5 Chinatowns and this would have to be the smallest one and the least interesting. Not much to see here.

Visited July 2014

7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 65 helpful votes
“Very run down!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2014

Do yourself a favor and don't go here. I have been to China Towns in Los Angeles, San Francisco, and NY. There is just no comparison. This is the dirtiest, ugliest, and worse of all 4. I have enjoyed my visit to all other 3 China Towns that I have visitied in the mainland. However, I can say that there is not a single restaurant I saw that I would venture into in this place. I love chinese food, but I was not brave enough to enter any of the 5 or 6 places I saw in the street. There is a market with a restaurant row, that I would not dare to try. The offer a variety of food from Thai to Korean and some Vietnamese.

Overall a big disappointment.

Visited July 2014
3 Thank msmxtoo
Honolulu, Hawaii
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“Coming from a local, skip it, there's better places to be.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014

Our Chinatown is sadly lacking. In culture, cleanliness, eateries, and shopping. If you have visited any other major city's Chinatown, San Francisco, New York, LA, then you will be disappointed if you come here. There is currently a major homeless problem in Honolulu and it is very apparent when walking the streets of Chinatown. DO NOT come here at night. There are so many other places to be on the island of Oahu, your time is better spent elsewhere.

6 Thank Brent L
London, United Kingdom
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Not much”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2014

Sorry to say this was a massive let down.
I've been to various 'Chinatowns' but this one was just dirty, smelly & quite worryingly scary. Not inviting at all.

4 Thank SkintNHomeless
Pensacola Beach, Florida
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 37 helpful votes
“Just what we expected”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2014

I see all the bad reviews here and wonder what the heck those people expected. Having been to Chinatown in San Francisco and multiple other big cities, my wife and I both found this Chinatown to be just as we expected.

Yes, there were homeless people mostly on the outer border streets, not in the center of Chinatown where we found most of our shopping opportunities. We found many nice shops in which we purchased multiple gifts for friends and family. Even my wife's Hawaii family, whom we came to Oahu to visit (like we do almost every year) regularly goes to Chinatown to purchase things. Prices in Chinatown were awesome for Lei's. If you want a real flower Lei, no better place to get one (or many).

I'd say if you enjoy Chinatown's in other cities, you will find this Chinatown to be everything you expected. Go in the daytime, as you'd probably do in other cities as well. Plenty of police presence and lots of shoppers on the streets.

12 Thank Steven C